Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

TO MUCH DRAMA

10K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  muzzleblast 
#1 ·
Here is a bright idea... how about we... all of us who use the forums... stop posting topics that do not have anything to do with this SNIPER CENTRAL forum site? Such as stupid questions like "who would win in a huge ass fight... iran or usa" things like that. Obviously... we are all opinionated people... all it does is cause un needed drama and stress in life. I have enough stress in my life as it is. And quit frankly... im sick of being disrespected. If you cant seem to control yourself from using foul language... or being rude for no reason... then simply dont post. I further more find it absolutly insulting... if not hilarious that people with not 5 seconds of work in a particular field of work try to tell me how something works... or that i am wrong... when i have been doing it for over eight years. So... what do you say... shall we quit posting non related Sniper Central posts.... and shall we quit insulting each other.

BC

#3 ·
If for some strange reason you feel you need to insult me... then email it to me. Mel does not need that junk on his site.

#4 ·
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Such as stupid questions like "who would win in a huge ass fight... iran or usa" things like that.
I see nothing wrong with opinionated discussons, so long as people do not become disrespectful. Granted, you were insulted in the previous thread regarding Iran and the USA, and that was completely inappropriate (although I don't know what a prat may be, I'll assume it's anegative thing). A lot of great discussion has, and will, come about on these forums, and I look forward to it all, so long as people don't resort to name-calling, or referring to questions as unintelligent.

Scatch Maroo

#5 ·
To quote a good baseball movie:

"I should have been a farmer".

Thats how I feel sometimes.
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Differences of opinions will exist on this site, and that is fine. But insulting a person, his profession, religion or his country will not be tolerated.

Maybe I need to get rid of the "Misc" forums.....

MEL

#6 ·
mele said:
Maybe I need to get rid of the "Misc" forums.....

MEL

I don't think you need to go that far....... Some people I have noticed are generally being rude in the majority of thier posts.

Kind of sad.

Some things I happily keep my mouth shut to try to not add fuel to the fire. But opinions are like A$$holes.....everybody has them.....and some people are them.

#8 ·
if not hilarious that people with not 5 seconds of work in a particular field of work try to tell me how something works... or that i am wrong... when i have been doing it for over eight years.

I graduated USMC Boot Camp Platoon 1081, Alpha Company, MCRD San Diego, july 1st 1999
Not a flame, and not my opinion, but some people might find such an incongruence as odd.

Scatch Maroo

* http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/vie ... c&start=45

#10 ·
Having just joined a site that mandate an aggresive codes of ethics and agreement to act civil, you can always go that route.

Alternatively the same site has a totally unmoderated forum for people to take their differences and hash it out - and its limited to the two individuals who are having the dispute. I read some of those threads - DAMN!!!

Then again they also freeze, close and delete threads that get out of control - no matter who is responsible for the problems. Its akin to talking away the basketball regardless of who started the brawl.

I suspect if you started looking to see who the troublemakers were, you would be able to discern the truth in fairly short order. - OFF with their heads I say (but that's just me - I'm a hard ass).

JeffVN

#12 ·
It's tough being a parent, huh Mele. How about you keep the Misc. forum and go to the "3 strikes and you're out" rule. Private message anyone who is getting out of line and ask them to cool it. Sterner message on the second warning with a reminder that the next infraction pulls their plug. If they do it again, pull the plug. Of course, not everyone will like some of your decisions, but sometimes you have to make the tough call. It's one of the unfortunate aspects of leadership. Good luck and, however you decide to handle this, you'll always have my utmost respect.

K2

#14 ·
I agree with K2 on the 3 strikes thing. And when a ban is put in place it should be permanent, no exceptions. The bickering was one of the reasons I stopped frequenting the board here a while back. I am glad I did get the chance to meet and pull the trigger with 2 pretty good guys in Jeff and Toposniper. Hopefully soon I'll get to meet Specter. I need to get out to the range and fire my test loads and try out my home-made cheek piece.

#15 ·
badshot said:
I agree with K2 on the 3 strikes thing. And when a ban is put in place it should be permanent, no exceptions. The bickering was one of the reasons I stopped frequenting the board here a while back. I am glad I did get the chance to meet and pull the trigger with 2 pretty good guys in Jeff and Toposniper. Hopefully soon I'll get to meet Specter. I need to get out to the range and fire my test loads and try out my home-made cheek piece.
Hearing that truly saddens me, and tells me that I have not done my job. I will do better to keep bickering away from the boards. Its too unproductive.

MEL

#17 ·
I can say that I have taken it up the pipe a couple of times (probably given it once or twice as well). I approach everything with a good bit of humor that is sometimes not seen so funny by others. I don't let it get to me thought. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

But I dissagree with the 3 strikes rule. We all have the freedom and selfcontrol not to respond to someone that is a turd head. I do agree with normal rules of conduct though. If you have a buddy that is a prick and he says something bad to you 3 times you can not have him removed from life, you just don't talk to him anymore (really a bad comparison :roll: ). Its just life (and it sucks) and there are turd heads everywhere. Just use a little self control and ignor them, all they want anyway is attention (just like a 2 year old).

I do like the idea of a free for all board, no mods.......no nothing, just man to man. Mel, all you have to do is if the post goes to far move it to the "dirty board" and let it go, out of sight out of mind.

A good flame is in order some times and sometimes B.S. is just B.S. and it is called such :wink: So don't take it wrong :D

It is sad to see someone leave though................. :cry:

#18 ·
Keep in mind that this website is not public property, but is the creation and property of Mele. Mele is kind enough to provide us with this forum to exchange ideas, information, stories, and have a few lively but well-mannered debates. It is up to us to abide by his rules if we want to partake in the fun. Mele is under no obligation to continue this page or allow us to be active participants. If a few bad apples cause him more grief than keeping this page alive is worth, then we ALL stand to lose something we have come to value. Whatever he decides to do on this issue or any forthcoming issues, we have to honor and respect his decision and NOT give him grief for doing what he thinks is best for HIS page.

K2

#19 ·
Bickering

Mele, I think that you have done a very good job on this site and I would hate to see anything change that, and my feelings are that if the two or more people that are having the problem can contain themselves to one forum and still use some self-control as to the langage used then those that dislike the bickering can refrain from visiting that forum.
Rusty

#20 ·
Mel, Don,t worry about it. It takes more than a couple trolls and topics not at all related to the fine art of sniping and target accuracy to run me off completely. I took a little time away but now I'm back. I am using this sight as an education tool to learn to be a better shot when the time comes. Thank you for providing us with this sight and all the useful info you have put together. I do have to admit, when i did come back the first time after staying away for a while I noticed some changes. It all looks great. I am wondering about this membership thing though. Whats that?

#21 ·
K2 said:
Keep in mind that this website is not public property, but is the creation and property of Mele. Mele is kind enough to provide us with this forum to exchange ideas, information, stories, and have a few lively but well-mannered debates. It is up to us to abide by his rules if we want to partake in the fun. Mele is under no obligation to continue this page or allow us to be active participants. If a few bad apples cause him more grief than keeping this page alive is worth, then we ALL stand to lose something we have come to value. Whatever he decides to do on this issue or any forthcoming issues, we have to honor and respect his decision and NOT give him grief for doing what he thinks is best for HIS page.

K2
Right on K2, I agree with you and I HOPE not one person would give Mel any grief over his decision.

#22 ·
Thanks gents, its appreciated. For the most part, things have been pretty good, but there have been a few cases, and it seems that mostly happens in the misc section (where politics and things non sniping get talked about). I think I will keep it the way it is for a little longer and see if things remain calm, if they don't the idea of a "free for all" or "garbage" forum might be implemented. If that doesn't work, banning will happen....

We'll see how that works.

badshot :

The membership portion of SC is where I talk about the many "how tos" that I never wanted to make available for public consumption. Ghillies, Mil-dots and some land nav pages are completed. Some more land nav and hide construction pages will be up next week, as well as one of the advanced marksmanship pages. There is a lot of content coming out for members only, as well as the non members side. Everything that is "gray" in the menu is for members only. Everything that has always been on sniper central will forever stay free. This does include all the equipment reviews, etc. In fact, TPS bases/rings and the Holland Tactical scope reviews will be up next weekend (on the public site).

Membership, when logged in, also gets rid of banner ads. Plus an email newsletter is also a part of it. http://www.snipercentral.com/members/signup.phtml provides some more details. Cost is $10 per year.

MEL

#23 ·
Thanks for the info Mel. I'll give the membership a little thought this afternoon while busy at work not doing anything.

Oh I should tell you what I finally decided on that NightForce. I sold it and bought me a nice Leupold 4.5-14x50 LR with illuminated reticle. I never did figure out if there was anything wrong with the NightForce but I had no confidence in it to take into the deer blind and count on it being where it should be so I got rid of it. I feel much better about the Leupold and got my RUM to shoot 180 grain Ballistic tips with 96 grains of H1000 to shoot about 1/2" group at 100 yards. I can't wait to get a shot on an animal with it. it's firing the bullet at 3225 fps according to the Nosler reloading guide. I still have more testing to do though.

#25 ·
badshot - good to hear you at least have a scope you are confident in. Weather your nightforce was indicitive of their product or not doesn't matter when you are the guy pulling the trigger and counting on it.

caver101, I'll see if I can do that.....

MEL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.