Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided I am going with a Leupold Vari-X III Long Range to sit on top of my Remington 700P. I am torn between the M1 dials, which have 1/4 MOA clicks, or the M3 dials, which have 1/2 MOA windage 1 MOA elevation. Im looking for feedback as to the pros and cons of either before I make that big investment. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
If you will be shooting federal GMM at lots of unknown distance targets, then I recommend the M3 knobs. Anything else, get the M1's

MEL

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, if I were to get my scope for hunting coyotes, go with the M3, but if its for match, go with the M1's?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, that sounds about right! Remember, the dials on the M3's are only accurate for a specific load

MEL

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interchangeable .300 .308 and .223 i *think* Im just wondering if the 1/2 MOA will satisfy what im going for, or do I want the granular 1/4 MOA? What am I actually losing going up 1/4 MOA?

·
Registered
175 Posts
My two cents,
I would go with the 1/4's as you can dial it more and you will get use to them. Have a feeling you go with the 1/2's you will be kicking yourself later. Mel would be the expert though as I only have use 1/4's and 1/8's.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Going back to the coyote sample. That is a good example of a good use for M3's. For my field sniper rifles, I prefer M3's and that is what is on my bravo-51. They are quick, and the BDC is the ticket. But if you are doing precision work, the 1 and .5 MOA adjustments will discourage you. In fact, my Bravo has a zero that is about .5" high at 100m, thats because if I dial down 1 click, I'm then .5 MOA low. But again, for sniping, (coyote hunting, etc) they are great.

MEL

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the M1's swappable with the M3's by any chance?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts