Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thanks for the help on the trigger. I went ahead and gave it a whirl myself, and came out pretty good. my next question is...
I have heard the bolts that hold the action to the stock of my 700pss have to be torqued to 65 in pounds. is this true? what kind of accuracy loss will i suffer if not torqued properly? im a auto tech by trade so i can usually get pretty close by feel. my foot pound torque wrenches only go down to about 9 foot pounds, and i would need around 5 for 65 inch pounds. i went ahead and ordered an inch pounder wrench from the snap on guy this week, so i should have it this time next week. my question is, is any accuracy loss gonna be forseen for this weeks session at the range?

Next question is about glass bedding. as said before i have a stock 700pss with the stock hs p. stock. im thinking of upgrading to a m40a1 or 3 style stock in the near future. would these have to be glass bedded for top accuracy? also does my stock HS stock need to be bedded for maximum accuracy potential??

thanks again guys.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Okay, 1st question: The 65 inch pounds most likely will NOT produce any added accuracy for one range session. If you were somewhere close, you will get the same accuracy. NOW, should you always take it to 65 in lbs? YES!! Do it everytime. This is where it is important. Everytime you take the stock off, you want to put it back exactly where it was to insure same accuracy and point of impact. The other thing is that this should not be a one time "tighten" and let it fly for ever. You should retighten those floor plate screws rather often, and this is where the 65 inch lb torque wrench is critical because it allows you to get it the same every time, and this contributes to LONG TERM accuracy and your zero NOT shifting. I hope thats clear.

2nd question: Yes, you will most certainly need to glass bed the new McMillan stock to get the best accuracy. I did a test with the SC1 prototype, trying accuracy before and after glass bedding, there is a marked improvement. Went from a tough .75 MOA to sub .5 MOA. Glass bedding is not beyond a DIY project if you are fairly handy. It does help to have someone there who has done it before, the penalty for screwing up is a barreled action that is PERMANENTLY attached to the stock!

No, I would not bother glass bedding your HS precision stock. The Aluminum bedding block does a nice job of bedding. Glass bedding it "can" help, but if it does, it is not as noticiable as it is on a stock that has no bedding block.

MEL

·
Registered
8 Posts
at the Remington armorer's school the instructor said the # is 45. However if you go past that to the #65 mark then you should always go to #65.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
very interesting information. The only number I have ever heard was the 65#, of course, I've never been to remington's armorer school either!!

thanks for the info. Did the instructor mention any negative effects by taking it to 65 in-lbs ?

MEL

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
MEL, I am a factory 700 armorer, I seem to remember(I will check my manual tonight) that 65 was recommended if the rifle was to be fired a lot, and I think he did say if you do go to 65 always go to 65. I will try to get the manual page up on the site later if thats ok.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Mel here is a copy of the Remington Checklist from my manual, I use it for my rifles. I t does say 45inch pounds, but in my notes I did find the 65 inch pounds if extensive firing is to be done, and to use 65 always if that is done. Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts