Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
let's eliminate dollars right off the bat. I don't have any, and I am not going to. At least not to spend on shooting and guns, beyond a trickle of bullets, primers,and powder.

I have a bolt action .308 and a bolt action .223 and I love em. The activity of range estimation, long shots, and deliberate paced shooting matches my pocketbook. The time spent to take each shot is commensurate with the time spent in case prep, loading, and accquisition of materials.

I also have a Mini-14 Ranch. It's an incredibly fun little rifle, and I have almost no complaints about it. I have a bunch of magazines, and it's in nice clean shape.
My main complaint is the oft-cited tendency to sling brass ridiculously far. In a stationary position (without a net or box to catch the brass) I have about an 80% recovery rate for brass. In the field, forget it.
I can't afford to buy steel case wolf ammo in any quantity, so I end up shooting the rifle very infrequently. I have fired a couple hundred of my reloaded rounds through it, but it's a drag to see all your case prep culminate in dented and lost brass.
For what it's worth, the mini-14 is probably my wife's favorite fiream in the house... I like to have it around in case Zombie's attack.

What I have been debating for a couple months with myself is selling the Ruger to buy a semi-auto handgun. Now, I know a lot of you's guys don't like the Beretta's, but I do. I figure I can sell the Mini-14 for enough to buy myself a Beretta 92, 96, or even a Px4 storm in .45 caliber, and pay for a CCW class. I have access to a free set of dies, and all the cast bullets I can shoot. This makes the handgun a much more cost effective shooter, for me. I'd like a handgun for th same reasons everybody else on here wants/has one too.

I'd like to hang on to my Mini and get a handgun, but even on lay-away, there's simply too many other places that money needs to go.

Please advise, standing by.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Oooohhh, tuffy. I'd go with the Beretta 92 if you have a thing for Berettas. As far as giving up on a gun to get the 92, I'd have to lose the .223 bolt action myself. In no way would I give up on the Mini 14 (unless you had an AR or AK already). With the .308 bolt action, a Ruger Mini, and a Beretta 92, you pretty much have your bases covered with common calibers, common magazine, a semi auto fighting rifle, and a hand gun. That's a decent tri fecta IMHO. The only other way I'd consider going is keeping the bolt action .223 and selling the .308, but only to cut down on the calibers you have to load/buy for. But that's the only reason, and not my first choice.

This is just me, though.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that, too, but that .223 varminter is a laser! No recoil, cheap to load... it's probably my favorite firearm to shoot, out of the ones I own. The .308 is a close second, and it's a legitimate size round for hunting...
I should just calm down and resign myself to keeping the Mini, but I have been all amped up for a handgun for the last year or two.

·
Registered
330 Posts
if you like the Beretta 92 thenthink abot the tuarus modle 92b. I used the m9(Beretta 92) when i was in the service and i realy liked the gun. it shot very smooth and accurate, was easy to shoot and aim, and just felt like an extention of my hand. it felt like it was suposed to be in my hand. i apsolutly loved the gun.
When I decided to buy one of my own at a local gun shop I knoticed a tuarus pt 92 siting next to it for $420 brand new. the berreta was $580 at the time. I examined the tuarus very thuraly and the gun smith gave me a litle history lesson on the tuarus. aparently they boght the rights to reproduce the modle and use the same machines specs and everything that bareta uses. but they made a cuple tweeks and changes.
my favorit adition is the decocking feature on the safty lever witch is moved to the reciver by the way, the bereta is located on the slide. i liked the sites beter and it had the tuarus security system witch i liked because i have kids.
the owner of the joint told me that their basicaly the same gun, you cant tell the difrence. he even let me shoot it out back for comparison.
i had a good bit of trigger time with my m9 in the service and it was brand new when it was issued to me. when I got done poping off 10 rounds i was sold. I think the tuarus actualy shot smother than the bereta. I have never had a jam yet, and have put about 500 rounds thru it.
theese guns are so simular in fact i was able to use my 15 round mags that i was issued for the m9 and use them in the tuarus with a slight modification. I just had to make a small slit in the side of the mag were the mag pin holds it into the reciver.

any way, check them out if your straped for cash. it is an option if your set on geting a Beretta 92.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ogre said:
I'd have to lose the .223 bolt action myself. In no way would I give up on the Mini 14 (unless you had an AR or AK already). With the .308 bolt action, a Ruger Mini, and a Beretta 92, you pretty much have your bases covered with common calibers, common magazine, a semi auto fighting rifle, and a hand gun. That's a decent tri fecta IMHO
Yeah id say the same, at least you still have the .308 bolt and the semi-auto .223. With the sale of the .223 bolt you should have enough cheddar for a springfield xd or the beretta no problem.

Robbing Peter to pay Paul, im in the same boat as you!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dump the 308 and 223 bolt guns for an m4 ar15, and/or another handgun-glock or beretta.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
AAVp7a1 said:
Dump the 308 and 223 bolt guns for an m4 ar15, and/or another handgun-glock or beretta.
Normally I'd agreed with ya, but he's a budget shooter, and loves shooting long range precision. He's already got the semi auto angle covered and plenty of mags, he just needs a sidearm.

And to the suggestion a couple posts above about an XD...YES! I loved my brothers so much (9mm 5" Tactical), I decided I needed one. I'm still a 1911 guy, but I'm having a hard time not getting myself an XD 45 to compliment the 9x19 as well. I'll take any of them above the Beretta 92, myself. If you have your heart set on a Beretta though, there's nothing wrong with the 92. I like shooting the 92/M9, just not as much as the XD or 1911.

If you have any interest in a 1911 nad are on a pretty strict budget, check out the Rock Island Armory. I bought mine for $350, and have seen them under $400 at a couple places/sites. Pretty much a Mil Spec GI issue type 1911, 45 acp, 8 round sidearm. Mine hasn't missed a beat.

·
Registered
254 Posts
ogre said:
AAVp7a1 said:
Normally I'd agreed with ya, but he's a budget shooter, and loves shooting long range precision. He's already got the semi auto angle covered and plenty of mags, he just needs a sidearm.

And to the suggestion a couple posts above about an XD...YES! I loved my brothers so much (9mm 5" Tactical), I decided I needed one. I'm still a 1911 guy, but I'm having a hard time not getting myself an XD 45 to compliment the 9x19 as well. I'll take any of them above the Beretta 92, myself. If you have your heart set on a Beretta though, there's nothing wrong with the 92. I like shooting the 92/M9, just not as much as the XD or 1911.

If you have any interest in a 1911 nad are on a pretty strict budget, check out the Rock Island Armory. I bought mine for $350, and have seen them under $400 at a couple places/sites. Pretty much a Mil Spec GI issue type 1911, 45 acp, 8 round sidearm. Mine hasn't missed a beat.
AR15s are decet long range shooters too. Maybe just dump the 223 gun and build up an SPR or m4 DMR rifle?

I'm a relentless black rifle pusher.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If it was me (and i know its not) I would keep all the guns I have now, and try and get some extra shifts, mow some lawns, whatever it takes get get an extra couple of hundred $$ (and do the extra jobs specifically for the task of getting a firearm) and buy a cheap (not nasty, just cheap, ie a Ruger) revolver for now. Later down the track you may have more money for for a better gun.

Keep working a bit harder, and then get an 870 shotgun, THEN you have ALL (well close enough) of your bases covered ;) (defense wise, still missing a .22 though...)

It really depends what you think is going to go wrong. Clearly your aim at the moment is to get a CCW and a handgun that you would carry with you, and getting the revolver covers that base. But realistically, in almost any SHTF situation when you can put a bit of distance between you and the situation and where you have time to (in your case) get to your .223 (semi or bolt) or your .308, you will be better served by those weapons, so you dont want to be getting rid of them ;) .

If you MUST get rid of one of your guns to get the handgun, I would ditch the bolt .223, not the Semi-Auto, because the .308 can pretty much do anything the bolt .223 can plus a bit more.

I would stay away from the AR-15 suggestions right at the moment, you don't sound like you have enough money to buy enough ammo to get enough practice in to get used to the new gun. Your already used to your Ruger Mini-14, so stick with that for now.

Regards,
Kipper.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You're in a tough spot. If you are looking at an affordable, durable pistol, don't discount the CZ 75, SP01 or the P01. All are accurate and dependable. There is a gentleman on CZ Forum that is a dealer that also has smokin' deals.

Good Luck...and drop me a PM if you decide to move the Mini.....I'm in the market for one :D

B.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Tough call. I am a AR guy myself, but I understand that is not doable right now. I agree you need a handgun. Personally I would sell the bolt action 223, you can always buy another later on. Mini's and AR's are going to be in tight demand and probably will see price increases, and besides you said the Mini was your wife's favorite. It's a good home defense gun, she may need it while you are away and if she is comfortable with it, that is important. Don't leave the wife defenseless while you have the handgun away from home. I know money is very tight, but if any way you can scrimp any money together, CDNN usually has excellent condition used Beretta 92's for 300 and change plus transfer fee to you FFL. Or get a used Glock for around the same price. Get what you can afford not necessarily a brand new want right now and then upgrade later at better times. But be sure to remember what you are protecting and make sure the wife has the means to defend herself.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Keep the Ruger; sell the bolt action .223.

Comrade Barunga will shortly ban semi-autos, so you will need to keep yours. In order to afford shooting it, learn to reload. You can make wonderful .223 ammo from military brass.

Read the taciked thread on loading .223 ammo.

Flufy

·
Registered
125 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that there was such an aftermarket for the mini 14. Now it makes me want one to play with! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
FluffyTheCat said:
Keep the Ruger; sell the bolt action .223.

Comrade Barunga will shortly ban semi-autos, so you will need to keep yours. In order to afford shooting it, learn to reload. You can make wonderful .223 ammo from military brass.

Read the taciked thread on loading .223 ammo.

Flufy
On Stiffler's behalf, Flufy, he does reload. But yes, keep the Ruger!

·
Registered
264 Posts
tell me about the .223 bolt gun. i have a b. 92 i might part with its like brand new i shot 2 mags through it and put it away.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh man...

I felt initially that selling the Mini 14 would be a mistake, and what I have read here re-affirms that. But it also is tempting, thinking I will have no trouble unloading it for much more than I paid for it. I would be more open to the idea of selling the .223 Varminter, except that I love shooting it. I probably put ten rounds through it for every single round I fire through my other rifles. I am also hoping to use it in a couple F-Class matches this year, as well as going varmint hunting this spring.

I reckon I'll just sit tight, I've made it this far with no handgun in the house.

Thanks for the link to the aftermarket Mini-14 stuff, and the tip on the CZ handguns.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
kipper said:
If it was me (and i know its not) I would keep all the guns I have now, and try and get some extra shifts, mow some lawns, whatever it takes get get an extra couple of hundred $$ (and do the extra jobs specifically for the task of getting a firearm).
This is what I would do. I have sold many of my guns throughout the years, and now regret selling every single one of them.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish that was an option. I suppose I could set aside $5 a week, the time is gonna go by anyway. I am a licensed, bonded, contractor, and I have a full time salaried position. I work every opportunity I get, but firearms fall low on the list of the single income family man...

If I am gonna have a semi-auto I rarely shoot, I think I'd rather have a FAL... remember when a FAL/Imbel parts kit was $150? shoulda coulda.

I've sold three firearms over the last 15 years, an SKS (kinda wish I'd kept it), a Winchester Model 94 (about a 1971 as I recall, definitely wish I'd kept it), and a pawn shop 30-06 sporter, which I have not missed.

Ogre, thanks for having my back!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts