Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New guy here with a question. I've been shooting for about 7 years (with firearms, about 20 years with air rifles) and in that time I've been using the same guns - a Sako .22" Finfire Varmint (the heavy barrel one) and a Marlin .44" underlever (with hand-loads). I've recently bought a Steyr-Mannlicher Pro-Hunter in .308 with synthetic stock and as it's my first new rifle in about 5 years, it's made me realise something which is where my question comes from.

I know that in good shooting practice, there should be a gentle, progressive squeeze of the trigger and the shot, when it comes, should be a surprise. This is fine with my new rifle (I've only shot about 40 rounds with it so far and all at a 100yd target range), but because I've been shooting so much with the same rifles before, the shot is not a surprise - I know exactly where the breaking point is on the Sake and Marlin. I know the pull pressure needed, so even though I know the guns well, I find myself starting to anticipate the shots. This isn't such a problem on the .22 as recoil is less than some break-barrel air rifles, but with some of the heavy .44 loads on as light a gun as the Marlin (I'm using open iron sights), I'm finding that anticipation off-putting. It's fine on the Steyr as the trigger is still pretty new to me (I've not adjusted it in any way).

Any advice on anticipating shots on rifles you know very well? Do you just try and forget that you know it's going to break when it does?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I can have a go at all those ideas. There's a gun shop only about 10 miles from me that sells those snap caps so that's worth a try.

Yimmy - I have shot at Bisley (and have 2 trophies to show for it - nothing major, but I'm proud of them!), but my usual range is one in the middle of nowhere - the club leases the ranges (100yd, 50yd and 25yd gallery) from the farmer whose land it's on.

mele - interesting point about the anticipation actually and one that makes me re-think again. With the 2 guns I've had for a few years, I've got to the point where I can anticipate the shot and I thought this might be a bad thing, but from what you say, with a little discipline I can use this to my advantage. It's good on my .22 which I can now take 10 shots at 50yds leaning on a bench with no other support and they're all grouped together cutting an irregularly shaped hole. I have to give the Sako some credit too - it's a fantastic rifle.

Maybe I'm being too impatient with the Steyr? As I said, I've only taken it to the range twice and only shot 1 brand of ammo in it. I'll start handloading .308 soon.

I like the idea of mixing live rounds with dummy rounds though - I'll ask one of the guys to mix them up in the magazine and I'll take it from there.

Glad I found this forum now!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts