·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome to Sniper Central.,

Truing an action and bolt face, means that all mating surface aeras are completely flat and square. Squaring a bolt fact means that the bolt face is completely perpindicular to the line of the barrel.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, spade. That clears it up a bit.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
When we true an action, we lap the lugs, square the threads (that the barrel threads into), square the action face (where the lug/barrel mates up to) and also lap the bolt face (to make square)

MEL

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Mel. Great site. I'm seriously considering placing a order for one of your SC1 rifles.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You will be very pleased with the SC1 rifle... after all... it is built by a retired Army Sniper... Mel. :)

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
You will be very pleased with the SC1 rifle... after all... it is built by a retired Army Sniper... Mel. :)

BC
I'm sure your right, BC If you're going to have something built, have it built by the best. I spent 13 yrs in the Army myself(MOS 11B/18C)but was never a sniper. Was slotted to go to sniper school once, but broke my ankle in a jump and missed out. Back then sniper school was held on division level. Thanks again for all the info. You'll be hearing from me soon on the rilfe, Mel!

Edited for OPSEC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sounds good to me!!

I started out 11B, then our unit converted over to the dreaded 11M (Bradleys) :cry:

All in All, I had a good string of commanders so it worked out fairly well... I just hated riding in the back of the missle magnets.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
mele said:
I just hated riding in the back of the missle magnets.
Yea id have to agree with you there Mel... as some people know every Marine Expiditionary unit has a practice known as MEU-EX / Tru-EX every year... its a full scale invasion of either North/South Carolina or Southern California... the hour long (some times longer depending on type of deployment) trip in the back of the AAV-7 or LAV-25 (kinda like a bradley but can float and has propellers as well) from the ship to the land can make the most sea worthy person heave chunks... and it gets very hot in there as well... oh yea... they pack us in there like sardines. Im glad i dont have to do that any more. :D

BC

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand what you mean about the missle magnets, Mel. Thank god I was always in the airborne(or air assault) infantry. I would have hated riding in those things!!!!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I always wonderd who came up with the term light infantry, those packs were not light. (former 11B myself)

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ekaphoto said:
I always wonderd who came up with the term light infantry, those packs were not light. (former 11B myself)
I hear ya, brother! Humping a 100-110 pound ruck all over God's creation really sucked! But if it was easy, everybody would do it! But hey, I really enjoyed every minute of it(hindsight)!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
mele said:
Trust me boys, I'd rather carry my 100lb ruck 25 miles than ride in the back for a bradley for 5

MEL
I drove an M113 twice. Once during AIT for 11B, and later in the NG when I went to AIT for combat engineer. They were fun to drive, but don't think I would like riding around in one all day. That was umm, a couple of years ago.

When I transferred to Civil Affairs, they gave our people in Hati a Toyota Land Cruser, a lot of cash, and an inturpter then turned them loose. Now THAT is the way to deploy. They even wore civilan clothes when driving around.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same with me, ekaphoto. I drove the M113 once in AIT. Sitting in that damn thing in late August at Ft. Benning was an experience I never wanted to have again! What a sauna!!! Suprised every one of us wasn't a heat casualty!!!

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
When I went through Harmoney Church was still open. They had the then newer Sand hill in operation, but did I go there.... noooooo. Its a Ranger training area now I hear. The old WW II barricks were a real treat.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ekaphoto said:
When I went through Harmoney Church was still open. They had the then newer Sand hill in operation, but did I go there.... noooooo. Its a Ranger training area now I hear. The old WW II barricks were a real treat.
Harmony Church was still open when I went through, too, but I was at Sand Hill for Basic/AIT and my first duty station with the 3rd Ranger Bn/75th INF( just then re-activated). There are still quite a few of the old WWII barracks still in use at Bragg, but most are gone now. Someone told me once that they were built during WWII as TEMPOARY housing, and some are still in use today! And you heard right, Harmony Church is a Ranger training area now, again. It was the Ranger training area in 1950-51 when they activated 15 Airborne Ranger Companies at the start of the Korean War.(My father in law was in the 7th Airborne Ranger Co. in 1950). They were the first AIRBORNE Rangers!

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
That rather funny actually, and ironic.

When I went through Sniper School at Benning, it was based at Harmory Church!! Yes, it is part of the 4th Ranger Training Brigade. We stayed in WWII barracks at sniper school. I believe they have since moved (or had built) better facilities.

MEL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts