Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
So basically , its a tube that fits around a 700 short action... Im not sure on the epoxy thing though. Does the action bolt inside the tube? I guess im not understanding too well.

EDIT: Hell on second thought, I dont have to think... i'll just get em to send one to mel. LOL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Basic bolt action AR-15... aka "Space Gun". been around for a while for competition use.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I just cant see how epoxying the action into the gun would be safe.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Better get used to it.

I've been saying for quite a while that conventional "bedding" is on it's way out. Permanent "Bonding" (like with the Accuracy International design, and others) is the way of the future. Bonded Chassis-type rigs are winning both in combat and competition.

I predict the new Marine Corps M40A2 will be the last rifle with "epoxy-based bedding" they ever use.

(Allthough, ya' never know. The indians were beating Custers single shot trap-door Springfields with repeating lever-actions at the Little Big Horn, and the Spanish were whuppin' Teddy Rosavelts "ruff-riders" 30-40 Krags with 7mm Mausers at San Juan Hill. We don't seem to pick things up too quick in the country....)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Isn't the USMC on the M40A3?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The United States Marine Corps currently issues the M-40A3 that uses there "Marine-TEX" bedding... and with multiple confirmed kills at over 1,000 yards with a .308... i dont see what is wrong with it.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
well ive used epoxy to bed the action before, but never as the ONLY THING HOLDING IT IN.

·
Registered
611 Posts
tubegun

really nothing new,just the application as benchresters have done this for years to stiffen the action. looks good to me but what do I know lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
The United States Marine Corps currently issues the M-40A3 that uses there "Marine-TEX" bedding... and with multiple confirmed kills at over 1,000 yards with a .308... i dont see what is wrong with it.

BC
People travelled great distances by horse and buggy "without a problem" for many years too.

Resistance to "the new wave" in any technology is normal (with the exception of computers, perhaps).

You guys are tweeked by bonded chassis systems taking over? Just wait until caseless ammo is accepted for military service!

PS, I meant to say M40A3. :wink: And "Marine Tex" is a boating supply firm that makes the epoxy based compound for use in fiberglassing by the USMC..and many others.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
if it ain't broke, why fix it?

If someone wants a tube gun or a bonded chassis rifle, by all means go ahead, thats great. And I can see how it would benefit the competition benchrest shooter. As for the military I really don't see what you mean by "covered wagons" dude.

Lets say we have an M-40. Arguably made by the best armourers in the world. I wouldn't be suprised to see it shoot .25 MOA. Now, for a tactical sniper rifle, why would you ever need any more than that? As long as you can hit your person, it doesn't have to be right in the left eye, and the group size doesn't matter cause you're not shooting for groups. Heck, .5 MOA is great for a sniper's rifle. By rule, that would be 5 inch groups at 1000 yards.

I don't see why the new technology is even needed.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Guys....guys!......it just LOOKS so cool 8) and all those "Hot Rod" colours too :shock:
I don't think it's about "better' I think it's about flash new groovy toys :D

I want a blue one :wink:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
if it ain't broke, why fix it?

If someone wants a tube gun or a bonded chassis rifle, by all means go ahead, thats great. And I can see how it would benefit the competition benchrest shooter. As for the military I really don't see what you mean by "covered wagons" dude.

Lets say we have an M-40. Arguably made by the best armourers in the world. I wouldn't be suprised to see it shoot .25 MOA. Now, for a tactical sniper rifle, why would you ever need any more than that? As long as you can hit your person, it doesn't have to be right in the left eye, and the group size doesn't matter cause you're not shooting for groups. Heck, .5 MOA is great for a sniper's rifle. By rule, that would be 5 inch groups at 1000 yards.

I don't see why the new technology is even needed.
Accuracy isn't the only measure of a tactical rifle. If that were the case, benchrest rigs would be in the field right now. Superior durability, cold-bore consistency after rough handling, and no need to ever re-bed after contamination with solvents are compelling features that chassis designs offer...dude.

Debating the future domination of tactical rifle design by non-bedded rifles is a moot point anyway. There is nothing more powerful that an idea whos time has come.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
In order be be accurate enough to hit an enemy out to 1,000 yards and a little further in some cases... (there have been multiple 1,000 + yard confirmed kills with the M-40A3)... it must be a .25 MOA rifle at least... i dont see whats wrong with .25 MOA accuracy at all. Any one who is clumbsy enough to spill solvents all over an action and leave it there long enough for it to do any damage to the bedding should not be handling that high end of a rifle in the first place. Morons who argued against the M-1911A1 have the vast majority of our Military stuck with a incomtetant pistol now that wont do its job when needed to. Lets not let this happen with our snipers main rifle...

BC

·
Registered
777 Posts
Well, I don't like the tube gun, if you want a Remington 700, get one. If you want a match AR, get one of those.

I've heard you can ruin bedding before, but why would anyone get solvents all over the action? And does oil ruin bedding if it gets in?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
There we go, that takes care of the echo lol.

BC has a good point though, its kinda hard to get solvents onto the bedding, really, unless you spray down your whole rifle with bore cleaner...and as far as I know, theres no problems with the durability of bedded sniper rifles under rough handling. The accuracy requirements are noooowhere near the same, but plenty of bedded hunting rifles get roughed up some too, and their bedding is still fine. The 45 comment had some merit too...If it ain't broke, leave it alone. The cold bore shot doesn't sound like a serious problem.

What it comes down to, dude, is that sinking money and man hours into developing a new rifle, with a system that hasn't hardly been battle tested anyway, isn't effective...Would be better to spend that time and money making the new versions of the M24 and M40 which are the best sniper rifles in the world anyway.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts