Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,764 Posts
If you wanna shoot LR but still like the 22-250, why not get a new barrel for the 22-250 in a 1-8T and you can run 55gr and also run the heavy 223 stuff aswell like 80 - 90gr. You will have the ballistics of the 308 without the recoil. Only issue is barrel life.

· Registered
5,231 Posts
Or a .260 or .243 barrel either of which has better balistics than .308 for long range. While you are buying a barrel, you might as well get what you want.

· Registered
2,913 Posts
I agree with the others. If you are going to re-barrel, look at your options. The .308 is a great overall caliber but it's not without it's drawbacks. If you don't need a .308 then why get one when there are better choices.

· Registered
76 Posts
Squirrels and rabbits with that rifle sounds like fun ot me. Oh the problems if you dont take the head shot though. I lived to hunt squirrels and rabbits as a kid and would have loved an accurate centerfire to get a little reach.
I have been reading alot about the .243 and will probably end up going that route at some point. I do like the price and availabilty of quality .308 ammo and reloading components so it may be a better choice for getting started.

· Registered
1,606 Posts
I was just teasing. Does sound like fun.

Officer:
I just got a CZ .17 HMR a few months ago. Whoa Nelly.....talk about turning a bird feeder raiding squirrel inside out.....Mercy. :twisted:

· Registered
337 Posts
cheaptrick said:
I was just teasing. Does sound like fun.

Officer:
I just got a CZ .17 HMR a few months ago. Whoa Nelly.....talk about turning a bird feeder raiding squirrel inside out.....Mercy. :twisted:
Thats what I am talking about! I was thinking it was just going to be a little bit longer range .22, boy was I wrong! :lol: Them tree rats sure drop quick!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. I'm planning on making this barrel change as well, on a Rem 700 I inherited. I just don't have any use for it in .22-250. I already have a Remington SPS that I love and want to stick with .308, but would like to put a longer barrel on this one, to shoot 1000yds +.
I'd like feedback on recommended:
Barrel length/brand
Twist rate
Bullet weight (also powder/load)

-Thanks
Myko67

· Registered
2,913 Posts
bzink said:
Can you explain what you mean by better balistics for long range? Specifically .243.
You can have a flatter trajectory (less drop) and more wind resistance (less drift) with a .243 than with a .260. And a .260 is better than a .308.

Of course, that assumes that you are using a high BC bullet at optimum velocity for each caliber.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts