Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

Got a savage model 11 in .308. Came stock with Nikon scope. Threw a vortex viper on it in mrad 4-16x50 with the stock rail and vortex rings.

At 100 yards my elevation turret is completely maxed out and it’s still shooting a few inches low. Vortex replaced the scope the first time and the second is doing the same exact thing. Had a gunsmith look at it and they saw the same issue. The grouping seems good on the shots just low and bad

Anyone ever have something like this? Was thinking a 20moa rail on it to try to counter it but that shouldn’t be for only 100yards

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yep. You are correct.

Maybe a problem with the rifle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have two R700 that have similar issues but not as bad. If you use two piece rings you can shim the rear. You can also use a 20 MOA rail. You can also bed and shim a standard rail.

Burris also make rings that shim the scope.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You shouldn't have to "shim" or use a 20+ moa rail to correct. Send the garbage firearm back and let them "true" it to the rail that ships with it. "Come on man"! Let's go Brandon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don’t “throw” your scopes on. Did you check the ring alignment? Torque the fasteners? After doing that test fire and see where your at. If you still have the problem, write up what you did and send it back

·
Registered
79 Posts
Don't shim anything. You can't fix trash by adding more trash. There are only a few things that could be wrong.

1. So far, I would be pretty confident that you have eliminated the possibility of the scope being the issue.
2. There is trash somewhere in the set-up that is acting as a shim.
3. The base is out of spec.
4. The rings are out of spec.
5. The receiver is out of spec.
6. The barrel isn't installed square in the receiver.
7. One of the above is the wrong part altogether.

Not much else that could cause it. The "gunsmith" you took it to should have already checked that though.

Are you using the factory supplied base(s) and rings? Send the gun back to Savage to have them fix it.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I had a similar Savage .308 that was off in windage, because the receiver was not tapped straight in relationship to the bore axis. Rather than have it drilled out with larger holes, I corrected it with Burris Posi-Align Offset Signature Rings with Offset Plastic Inserts. They work beautifully. No need for tapered scope bases, shims, and all that other crap.

Each set of inserts have a matching opposed ring half that work in pairs. You can double the effect by using the opposite combination on front and rear rings. And you can place the split horizontally, (elevation), or vertically, (windage). They hold better, and they will not mar a scope tube. Now they're all I use. You can get them in both blued as well as Stainless Steel, in most any combination of offset inserts. They're a very well made and designed product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar Savage .308 that was off in windage, because the receiver was not tapped straight in relationship to the bore axis. Rather than have it drilled out with larger holes, I corrected it with Burris Posi-Align Offset Signature Rings with Offset Plastic Inserts. They work beautifully. No need for tapered scope bases, shims, and all that other crap.

Each set of inserts have a matching opposed ring half that work in pairs. You can double the effect by using the opposite combination on front and rear rings. And you can place the split horizontally, (elevation), or vertically, (windage). They hold better, and they will not mar a scope tube. Now they're all I use. You can get them in both blued as well as Stainless Steel, in most any combination of offset inserts. They're a very well made and designed product.

I have a Savage mod 11 with the same problem. went through Vortex rings, then Varnes rings, all solid-no peek-a-boos. I reversed rings, spun them, ....same thing. I read the previous posts, just ordered the Burris Signature Zees with the Posi-Align from Amazon---$43.69. Thanks!

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a Savage mod 11 with the same problem. went through Vortex rings, then Varnes rings, all solid-no peek-a-boos. I reversed rings, spun them, ....same thing. I read the previous posts, just ordered the Burris Signature Zees with the Posi-Align from Amazon---$43.69. Thanks!
You will be pleased with them. They really work nice for long range rimfire shooting as well. You can establish the same effect as you can with a high MOA tapered scope base, without all of the hassle and limitations. They're one of those products that once you try them, you'll be asking yourself, "Why didn't someone think of this before".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts