Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, what do you guys think would be the BEST rate of twist for a .223 caliber bolt action with a 20 inch barrel.

80% of the shooting would be with 55gr but I would like to go up to 68gr also. I would not drop below the 55gr with this rifle.

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
With out posting 100 reasons why... ill just say it. 1:8" twist.

BC

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Yep, BC is right. 1:8 is hard to beat!

What is your goal for this rifle? So that we may better answer your question: long range, plinking, critters....................??????? Why only the light bullets?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
caver101 said:
Why only the light bullets?
1: Cheap
2: Plentiful
3: Accurate out to 800 yards (with the 78gr SMK's)
4: Less recoil... more likely to see your bullet impact at longer ranges.

Oh yea... did i mention CHEAP?

BC

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BC hit it right on the money caver101

Cheap!!!!!!

Iam going to use it for plinking and varmits. Once again I am getting it because the ammo is cheap...plus it's a nice round.[/b]

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Remington White box bulk pack .223 with the .45gr HP ammo is

1: Cheap... its only $12 for 40 rounds
2: Accurate... i get around .35 MOA 5 shot groups with it out of my AR's and Win 70 bolt rifle.
3: Real high velocity... its 3,600 FPS!!!

Check out that ammo... its what i use for varmint / target shooting most the time.

BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
This brings up a question... I have a .223 that came with a 1:12 twist on it.. the caliber comparison page says that anyting 69gr+ should have a min of a 1:8 twist.. so, does that mean I shouldn't shoot anything more than a 55gr bullet for maximum accuracy? I normally shoot at around 100 yards, but I'd like to be able to go out to around 250 yards.
Whats the formula used to find optimal barrel twist rate for a certain load, or what would the formula to find the optimal weight and speed of a bullet from a given barrel twist?
Thanks.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You should not shoot anything over 69gr's in a 1:12" twist for a few reasons.

1: Safty... it wont stabilize the bullet and it will go flying off in random directions after about 75 yards. I have targets with sideways bullet hits to prove it.

2: Theres no purpose... as stated above... you cant hit anything with it. (with the heavier ammo)

The early barrels put on the M-16 were 1:14" twist... they would barely stabilize the 55gr ammo!!! The M-16A1 was a little better and would somewhat stabilize the 55gr ammo... it had a 1:12" twist. The M-16A2 barrel has a 1:7 twist and stabilizes every bullet for the .223 you can load. Same goes for the M-16A4.

Question... what .223 do you have that is a 1:12" twist? Is it an old M-16A1 upper?

BC

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nah, its a Howa 1500 bolt action .223 it comes standard with a 1:12 twist rate... I'm told that they are very accurate rifles right out of the box. I haven't shot it much, and can get MOA groups with the cheap winchester 55gr FMJ that they sell at walmart. I'd really be interested to see how it does with the .223 laupa. I've only shot it out to 100 yards so far, I was hoping to shoot it at greater distances next month when I put a better scope on it.. I really hope the bullet stays stable to at least 250 yards.
Thanks for the help,

-Brian

There .300 mag rifles come standard with a 1:14 rate of twist, which seems really slow to me, especially if you put a real heavy bullet through it

·
Registered
522 Posts
Brian77223 said:
Nah, its a Howa 1500 bolt action .223 it comes standard with a 1:12 twist rate...
okay...err :? ...I didn't mean "YOUR" .223. I meant one in 1:8 for ME. I've been eyeballin' a Remy 700P in 223.

Then do a barrel swap and have it accurized but......your howa sounds pretty nice too. 8)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Before you swap the barrel on a 700P... get it hand lapped at least once (before you even shoot it once)... it should be just as good as a custom barrel once it is lapped a few times ( or atleast close ). If it still is not as good as you want then go ahead and change it out. Lapping isnt expensive either... i would do that before swapping out a barrel.

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts