Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of this weapon? I was looking at a Ghost Recon 2 sight and supposidly it's a North Korean DMR version of the SKS that's more accurate than the AK47 (which isn't saying much :wink: ). I looked it up on Google and could find nothing.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Norinco Type 84 is based off the AK-47 design. Unless I am seriously mistaken (which is always a possibility!), it fires a .223 and fires out to about 600m.

It also has a folding stock, and a poorely made spring which will sometimes make the weapon fire multiple times when you don't want it to.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
lol thats a chinese weapon alright.

SKS. Rugged and dependable. And prone to slamfires at times.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
is that the bullpup AK?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yes the 86 / 95 / 97 feature the plastic housing in bullpup configuration. All rifles still function and perform like the AK series since they basically are all the same parts.

However, the 84, looks like an AK-74SU.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
k, I can picture that...the Yugos made something similar in .223

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Pfft... why is it that everybody assumes the Chinese type 81 and 96 assault rifles are AK clones? They are not.

The Chinese first home produced rifles which were issued en mass to their army were the Type 56 semi-automatic rifle, ie SKS, and the Type 56 sub-machinegun, ie the AK47.

Then there was the Type 63, which had the body form of the SKS, shot from 20 round detachable magazines, the bolt group of the AK47, and a new gs system, it was infamous for its por build quality.

Then came the Type 81, in 7.62x39mm still, and looking a bit like an AK, but it is nt the same. It is Chinese designed based of the SKS and AK, in the same way as the FNC uses some ideas from the AK...

Then there was the Type 87, which used the new 5.8x42mm round... and now there is the Type 95/96. The Chinese have plenty of experience in small arms to design their own weapons, they do not need to copy others any more.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh, I think the Type 84-M is supposed to be a reworked SKS. I don't know what they did to it exactly besides mounting a scope.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
yeah from your post it was supposed to be a "designated marskman" sks.

And there is one design that is just a bullpup AK. Thats what I asked about. Thats what subThermal replied about.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

No it isn't.

You asked if the Type 97 was a bullpup AK.

He answered about the types 86 / 95 / 97.

When the Bullpup AK is just the 86.

·
Registered
383 Posts
As per the original post:

The 84 is not a bullpup, but a shorted AK based rifle with a folding stock, made from crap parts. I'm sure you could mount a scope on it if you wanted to.

why is it that everybody assumes the Chinese type 81 and 96 assault rifles are AK clones? They are not.
The 80's series is. Why? Because my handy dandy little book tells me they are. Same gas system, and the reciever is just supposed to be housed in cheap plastic instead (the early 80's were AK clones, later moving to plastics and polymers in the second half of the 80's). Of course, I've had bad info before.

Not sure about the model 96, never seen one. However, they do not have the tell-tell signs of an AK gas system. Which doesn't mean it hasn't been hidden in the housing since they are using a smaller cartridge. I wouldn't doubt if you cracked one open if you would see some VERY similar AK designs, regardless if "they designed thier own." Which in China could mean: "stealing someone elses' work" and calling it your own.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:? Ok, I'm confused. :?

Somebody look at the site and tell me what you think.

http://www.ghostrecon.com/us/ghostrecon2/index.php

Look under the "Game Info" options on the left side of the screen and find "Weapons." Underneith the weapon descriptions you will find three options: Primary Weapons, Other Friendly Weapons, and Enemy Weapons. Click on the Enemy Weapons tab and scroll through until you see the SKS with a scope mounted on it.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
ooh-kay, I think I see the problem here. I should have read the post more clearly from the get go. The weapon has been designated Type 84 BY the NK forces. It probably is a Chinese made rifle, but thats what NK calls it. Man, throwing that scope on an SKS is a waste of a good scope. I have one and I like the little bugger, but...

As for the Chinese weapons, they do sure copy a LOT. Even their fighters and tanks. But, when they do design their own, why does it have to be uglier than home made crap?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

What magnification is the scope then?
ANd does it prevent the use of stripper clips being used?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I think any scope that long will block a stripper clip, yeah. Most people mount very compact scopes on theirs.

Its a hard rifle to mount a scope on with any stability as well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

I just went to that link you posted and saw an advert thingy of Ghost Recon 2.

Now, I never played Ghost Recon, but I did play Rogue Spear and Raven Shield from the Rainbow Six series; and liked them..... has anyone here played Ghost Recon? is Ghost Recon 2 out and worth getting?

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
The first ghost recon was really cool...Jungle warfare (think thats what it was called) was okay. It plays something like rogue spear., but simpler.

Is there any way you could rent it first?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have GR for Xbox. It's probably the most realistic first-person-shooter I've played. Basically you set up two squads of up to three men each. You pick their weapons and kit and then you go kick AI butt.

I say go for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts