Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting around with a springfield 48c .22 long rifle. I love it but want to move up to .308 win. I like the remington 700p, 700vs, Winchester model 70 stealth, kimber mongmaster vt, but really dont know what to get. i really no nothing about rifles and need some guidance. i have done alot of research but cant really find a rifle i want. I will mostly be doing target shooting and want to work out to long distance shooting. I would pefer remington, but if there is something better lmk.

·
Registered
524 Posts
!

All depends on what you plan to spend....remington pss is a good safe bet....most smiths know how to work on them and parts and upgrades are easily availible. Go to some shooting ranges and look around. see what you personally like.....Some gun stores will hold shoots at the range and let you try some demo models.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
i would go with the 700p or vs
i havnt shot all those guns you have mentioned but i have shot several remington 700 type guns in the past few weeks aspecially, getitng a 700P in .308 myself soon

·
Registered
60 Posts
The remington 700 is a excellant choice, it is without a doubt the most popular action that there is. There is an abundance of available parts and accessories for the 700. If you cant find a rifle you like I would reccomend building your own. Buy a 700 adl rifle, either new or used what ever you can find cheap, it doesnt matter too much on the condition. You can then purchase a stock, barrel, trigger work, true up the action etc. and have the rifle that you like. Over all the brand and look doesnt matter a whole lot as long as it's a shooter and you are happy with it!!!!!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
not to mention that MOST world class rifles are built on the 700 action
i am using a 700P as a base rifle and am going to test it out and probably send it to a gunsmith to have the action accurized etc, change the parts with ones i prefer etc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, ty, i will look into the 700ps or vs. also why the adl and not the bdl. what are having the trigger accurized, bedding, etc. what does all that mean. i havent found i good place that gives specifics on upgrades and mods to the rifles.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
www.remington.com
www.remingtonle.com

i would reccomend buying/shooting the rifle before you worry about upgrading it... remmeber that remingotn 700s are known to shoot 1/2 moa out of the box but 3/4-4/5ths moa is more common
for me if it shoots sub 1/2 moa out of the box why bother with upgrades?
im not going to do anything till i put a lot of rounds through the rifle and see its performance, then change out what i dont like and keep what i do like etc

·
Registered
60 Posts
I mentioned the ADL simply because its cheaper than the BDL, its the exact same action the differences are the BDL has a hinged floor plate, The BDL usually has a better quality finish, but you will probably go matte finish of some kind anyway. The ADL is just the cheapest way into a 700. The PSS, VS, and such models of 700 are much nicer rifles and if cash permits by all means buy the best you can. I started out by purchasing a 700 PSS for $675.00 I then installed a jewell trigger, Krieger match barrel, H-S precision pst25 stock and had the action trued, I basically only have the original action left on the gun, everything else has been upgraded, If I would have started with a $400.00 ADL I could have saved $275.00 and still had the exact same rifle. In short if you plan on building a custom rifle dont buy a more expensive one only to change everything. As far as the questions reguarding the action work and trigger, rather than explaining alot I would reccomend looking at either or both of the following companies websites ROBAR or
HICKS DESIGN (HD RIFLES)

They have both done work for me and are among the best in the buisness. There web sites should give you a good idea of what the different processes are. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have shot the Remington PSS, Remington VS and the Winchester Stealth II and I would recomend either Remington. If this is your first rifle chambered to .308 I would go with the PSS. As many others have mentioned you will not find it hard to locate parts, modifications and smiths that are qualified to smith your Remington.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i have narrowed it down to the pss or the vs. which one then. What are the real differences. also would it just be easier to buy an adl or 700 action and custom build a rifle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i belive i am going to get the 700p in .308. now should i get short action or long action and whats the difference.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
weight and possible chamberings that require a certain length action. Short action accomodates up to .308 (or 6.5x284 - but thats a whole different animal). Long action is for the magnum loads and cartridges, like 30-06, 300 Win. Mag and bigger. The longer action weights more, as it is longer and therefore takes more steel to make up the action.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the M24 SWS is a 7.62mm NATO (.308 Win) and it has a long action
Mel in his review stated that he does not like the fact that it is a long action because it can cause feed problems with the M118 Special ball cartridge... i myself have never shot a long action .308, so i cant comment myself

·
Registered
522 Posts
If and when you purchase a 700PSS, it will come in short action. Long action does not denote a "better" action just one that fits the particular chambering of that cartridge. 308 is better suited with a short action and therefore it is more common to find most rifles with a short action.

You want a short action, and you will more than likely get a short action. Hope this clears up your questions.....if not just ask.

The moment you know you've learned something well is the moment you can efficaciously teach it to someone else.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool.
So now her eis hte upgrade or mod question. I dont want to yet. but when i get it, and after a good break in. what should i do to keep it as good as new and in proper working order.
Plus should i get a trigger job since a 8lb trigger pull is not very sniper worthy. as far as bedding goes is then already done or should i pull out the torque wrench at 65lbs and tighten it just to make sure.

Any other little odds and ends that will help me out in entering the sniping world.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Okay well first off, when you first purchase your rifle, it is ready to go. I don't quite understand what you mean by adjusting with torque wrench but listen up:

The PSS is ready to go right out of the box however I might make the following suggestions. First off, you should clean it before you shoot it for the first time. Make sure to use quality hardware such as a one piece Dewey coated rod and brass jags with cotton patches. Stay away from the paper ones as they do not clean as well. Stay away from any aluminum rods as they can mix with fouling metals and create a nasty diamond like surface and scratch your bore over time. There is a reason why all serious marksmen, benchrest shooters, and snipers use one piece quality rods such as Dewey that are either stainless steel or nylon coated. Unless you will use the field cleaning method taught in the military, which instructs us to turn the rifle upside down, then I will recommend you get a bore quide to prevent any chemicals from leaking or making a mess. Stoney point's bore quides work very well. I highly recommend you use a jag due to its tight fit and better cleaning capability. This will remove any material left over from the manufacturing process. As far as chemicals you will need the basics a good cleaner that cleans carbon and cooper well, a good lubricant and a degreaser such as 99% anhydrous rubbing alcohol.

Second is the proper installation of your scope, if you are not experienced with the process, have someone install it for you. Proper alignment of the base is crucial, especially if it is a two piece base. I prefer a one piece however it is just my personal preference. A two piece will work just as well. You should tighten the torx screws on your base to specified torque settings depending on the type and brand. I believe that might have been what you were refering to. Anything else?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what is bedding the action, and the trigger job. i know the trigger job lightens the pull, but how does it work.

·
Registered
60 Posts
On your torque wrench question, yes check the factories torque on the action. It will be no where near what it should be. You stated 65lbs? To clarify this it should be 65 INCH lbs. Big difference, if you dont have an Inch lb torque wrench just use 5 1/2 foot lbs. But at any rate yes you are correct in your thoughts of checking the factories torque on the H-S stock.
And indeed look at getting a trigger job as soon as possible, this simple job will make a world of difference in the way you shoot this rifle, get it down to about 2.5 to 3 pounds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool thats what i was looking for, now how do i do it. can i do the trigger job myself or shoul di pro do it. i just like to do things myself. it self fulfilling. but since i am new i should prob let some else do it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts