Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious and new to the precision sniper world and was wondering if there is a gun that can be built into a rifle, then broken down and also used as a handgun. Or do they make kits for specific guns? That is exactly what I want, build into a rifle, break into a handgun.. any info would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I do not konw if they are still made, but I recall the Mauser company in the late 1800s and early 1900s made such a firearm, it had an easily removable stock and something like an 8 inch barrel.

You see it make an apperance in at least one Clint Eastwood movie - being used by Lee Van Cleef (SP?) with deadly accuray out to about 200 yards. YEAH RIGHT!!!

JeffVN

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Buy a AR-15 lower (marked PISTOL and purchase it as if you were buying a pistol) Then build it up as a pistol then buy a 24" Olympic UM-1 upper and some type of stock (the ACE might be a good way to go). There are only two pins to pull to remove and change the uppers but it would take a minute to change the stock. Not the fastest way but you could kill two birds with one stone.

PLEASE NOTE!!! That you can not have the stock and the pistol upper on at the same time!! ($100,000 fine and 10 yr in jail) You will be creating a SBR (short barrel rifle) Which you have to have reg. as a Class III weapon (pay a $200 tax to the BATF and your first born).

If this is the way you want to go let me know and I will give you more info. But to answer you question...............I do not know of any other rifles you can do that way. If anyone knows of a folding stock for a Rem SA rifle please post (except for the $800 AI stock)

PISTOL (from ar15.com)

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
how about the venerable contender? They also sell 1911 kits that turn your pistol into a carbine.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would be very careful with this. You need to check your local laws to make sure you aren't violating any of them. I thought it was a federal law that states "once a rifle, always a rifle". Obviously that is my interpretaion of the legalise. Basically you can have a pistol and put a stock onto it to make a rifle, once this is done it can never again legally be made back into a pistol. Just having the parts to do so constitutes intent.(Again just my understanding.)

I would check out BATF and find out exactly. Although I am fairly certain that it is a federal law.

John

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
JRP3 said:
I would be very careful with this. You need to check your local laws to make sure you aren't violating any of them. .........snip..........I would check out BATF and find out exactly. Although I am fairly certain that it is a federal law.

John
JRP3 is right.........You MUST check YOUR local laws. And do not do it over the phone (ATF will not do that anyway).........GET IT ON PAPER!! From what I have found most local LEOs know just about the same or less when it comes to NFA and ATF regulations............

Where I live (the way I understand it) a pistol can go to a rifle and back BUT never a rifle to a pistol. That is why there are so many 1911 & glock conversions on the market. If you buy your AR15 lower as a pistol (fill out the same paperwork as buying a pistol) and the lower needs to be marked as a pistol you can make a pistol out of it first then a rifle then a pistol then a rifle then a pistol then a rifle then a pistol then.............................(you get the point)

This is a very large gray area and you need to be very careful

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yeah, check with the people who will tell you it's wrong when you've already done it. The AR idea is one way to go, so is the contender, and I think that old mauser deal was nicknamed the "broomhandle" or something wasn't it? Can't rememebr the real name either. Anyway, There are kits to put the grip assembly of 1911's and Glocks onto and switch back and fourth, but I don't know about function and performance of these. Looks like there's not federal laws against it in light of that. Personally, I think I'd go with the Contender, if you don't have any problems with single shot. Not much personal experience, but they have a reputation that's hard not to be aware of and more accessories and stuff than you could imagine.

·
Registered
522 Posts
A problem I would see with having such a weapon is that performance and reliability would suffer. It is usually the case that "multi-purpose" also means "good for nothing".

Now there are exceptions to this however with firearms it stands pretty well. Especially when you try to capture two extremes.

I have yet to see a full-auto assault rifle used as a precision tack driver and perform better than a dedicated assault rifle or a dedicated precision marksman bolt action rifle.

my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts