Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

Should in-control diabetics be allowed to join the military?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i need some help. I posted that i turn 18 on sunday (12 June). You probably don't care. I do. That's besides the point. By being American citizen, 18 and in possesion of a high school diploma that should qualify to join the military right? wrong. Unfortunately whenever i go to the recruiters office...any branch Air Force, Navy, Marines, National Guard, Army etc etc...they turn me down because I have diabetes. Now I understand why they don't want some soldier having a sniper who is a diabetic having fit out in the field...I'd be happy peeling potatoes for the military! (not what i REALLY would like to do but anything to help) I don't understand why they don't give chances. I guess where I need help is finding resources that can help me get past this obstacle in my desire to help serve my country. I have wanted to be in the military since I was a kid, my old man was in for just shy of 24 years when he retired...I guess it inspired me to want ta do likewise... I have read in magazines and online stories of the soldier with diabetes etc etc...I know there is a way in but the recruiters sure aren't helping me...HELP GUYS!! HELP!!

Thanks,
-Brian Shields

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I don't know enough about it at this time to vote. My instincts are telling me this would not be a good idea for front line MOS's.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can understand them not wanting diabetics out ground-pounding but to not be allowed to join at all?? that's where i'm confused.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recoil,

Start my bachelors program for Criminal Justice Winter semester this coming year. So yes I've considered being a cop...it's the next best choice IMHO. I've taken 3 or 4 entry level classes at the community college (i was in a college-high school co-op deal before graduating early) and have really enjoyed getting to know how things really work in the Criminal Jutice system...trying to cover my bases incase there REALLY isn't a way into the military for me...

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
140 Posts
Having to give soldiers medicine to keep them alive usually means they are in the hospitol fighting for there life. So i understand why it is not allowed, it takes up time while you should be working. They dont want to have the chance of some one forgetting to take there medicine and die or go into a coma or whatever happens.

I do however understand your frustration. However, you might be able to join the Coast Guard, which does see some combat in Iraq (if that is what your looking for). There are several small boat teams from the US Coast Guard that run the rivers, ports and shore line in Iraq. You might want to check that out. Being a machinegunner on an armored boat runnin up and down the river sounds alot more fun than desk work and alot easier than grunt work.

The Rifleman

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I was a jailor like Recoil just mentioned...pretty interesting job. The cops I met were great people...Wish could say the same for the guys I had in the stir, but even then you meet some pretty interesting types. Being a corrections officer was a pretty cool look into the world of LE.

·
Registered
238 Posts
also look into the DEA FBI and NSA they sometimes hire people without military experiance into lower jobs, like you wont run a team or do infiltration, but youll be in stings and just work your way up until your eventualy doing the higher level work, just youll have to work harder than say, a marine force recon guy to get the job...

·
Registered
307 Posts
also look into the DEA FBI and NSA they sometimes hire people without military experiance into lower jobs, like you wont run a team or do infiltration, but youll be in stings and just work your way up until your eventualy doing the higher level work, just youll have to work harder than say, a marine force recon guy to get the job...
what

what

what

·
Registered
238 Posts
now, i understand sometimes i dont make constructive posts...but at least i comment in them and just dont act like a total "tard."

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think you have the oposite idea there, you need a college degree to work for the FBI, NSA, CIA.

Having military expirence is a bonus, nothing more. You still have to attend ALL thier schools and learn all thier stuff the way they want you to.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Thanks, subT

I think thats what CM2K was trying to say. Right?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah everyone has a misconception that anyone can enlist. But we don't.
Recently the USMC or I think all branches lifted some rules for asthma. So that helped out a few people.
But yeah I understand why they wouldn't want you regardless if your MOS is 0300(USMC) or 11x(USA). Because something could happen when your in Recruit Training, BCT (or what ever branch calls it). Also what happens if you get deployed and that weather makes you FUBAR? What if you are deployed and obviously your not infantry MOS, and all the sudden your convoy is ambushed or what have you and you might be on your own for a few days etc. Gotta think about all possibilites.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Your desire to serve is most commendable.

However, if your diabetes acts up at the wrong time, the mission could be compromised.

There is much valuable work that you could do. You should be allowed to serve in an arena other than combat arms.

Mad

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
At the end of the day everyone is infantry when push comes to shove, so I can understand why they don't take diabetics. I commend you for your wanting to serve, but can understand the military position on it as well.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey everyone! I appreciate everyone replying and offering their opinion... Today I went and tried the recruiters office one more time and their example of why a person with diabetes shouldn't be able to join is as simple as many of yours. That worrying about a low/high blood sugar reaction in the field isn't worth it...liability and all. So, that being said I'm on to plan B. That is to sit around and sulk over my inability to join :lol: ...just kidding. I plan on heading forward with my CJ studies and working in LE. Thanks again for all the replies!!

-Brian Shields

1 - 20 of 20 Posts