Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know how hard it is to get all the grit out of the small areas of our rifles. I learned the following method from an AGI video on the M1 garand/ M1A. I have tried it and it works very well.

Ok first disassenble your weapon as normal, removing stock etc.

Spray down with simple green or even soak it if possable.

Scrub the weapon down with a tooth brush etc.

rinse off with water.

Shake off excess water.

Turn your oven on to lowest setting, place your weapon parts on a cookie sheet and put in oven. KEEP THE OVEN DOOR OPEN! You do not want to get the metal hot enough to change the temper. Even keep the oven racks out with the parts on them.

After this lube all parts well with your favorite lube.

For cleaning the copper out of the bore you can do it either before or after the wash down. Your choice. The weapon will be unbelievably clean. I have tried it and it works well. I do get a little nervious about the metal heating up so keep a very close eye on it. You just want to warm it enough to help get rid of the water, not heat it up. Also dot just throw it in the oven for an hour, stand there and watc it. It should only take a few min. I know it sound odd, but it works.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Simple green and water... :lol:

For standard fouling in the action.. ect... i prescribe using hoppes No 9 and a gun scrubbing brush... or tooth brush if ya cant get a gun brush. Once all the fouling is removed... dry completly. Then... with an oiled rag... rub down the parts and area's that were cleaned with the solvent. I could go into great detail but im just not in the mood to type for 30 minutes right now...

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Simple green- Safe, non toxic, biodegradable, and works very well. Give it a try just once and you will be amazed. I don't use it every time, just for through cleaning ie jg inspection type cleaning of a very dirty weapon.

·
Registered
777 Posts
As for putting your rifle in your oven:

Somewhere, metallurgy engineers and liability lawyers are waking up screaming in the middle of the night. :wink:

I'm glad it works for you, but the idea of putting my guns in my oven gives me chills, be careful man.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Simple Green and water might work, as long as it's followed by something to prevent the water from causing rust. The oven idea however, I will be avoiding. Besides, I can hear it now, :evil: :x "Get that thing out of my oven! What it it's loaded!? I don't care if you looked! What if the chemicals you put on it catch fire?! Well it could give off fumes! Do you want to poison our food!?" :evil: :x Nah, no broiling for my guns. :wink:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Coke....

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bead Drawer said:
As for putting your rifle in your oven:

Somewhere, metallurgy engineers and liability lawyers are waking up screaming in the middle of the night. :wink:

I'm glad it works for you, but the idea of putting my guns in my oven gives me chills, be careful man.
The video is put out from the American Gunsmith Instute. As far as the oven, like I said be careful and keep the racks out. You dont want to get it hot, just warm. If I just read it on a post I would have my doubts as well. Thats why I gave the referance where I got the info.

As far as simple green I was surprised howc well it works. Really cuts the grease and grime. I tried it on my M1 Garand first. Herev is the link to the video.

http://www.americangunsmith.com/view.php?id=37

Yea, the lawyers are probably going nuts now :twisted:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Don't put the gun in the oven. Instead, after using the Simple Green, water and toothbrush, pour boiling water over the piece.

The boiling water rinses away the Simple Green etc., And then the heat from the water dries the gun quickly. Then you wipe down the metal with Break Free or Mobil 1.

I also found another wonderful non-toxic cleaner. It's made by Pantheon Chemical. It's called MPro 7. This product uses a special blend of surfactants and detergents and it will clean your firearms in no time. It is easily the best cleaner I've ever tried. MPro 7 is also supplied to Hoppes by Pantheon Chemical and sold as Hoppes Elite. You can find Hoppes Elite at your closest Wal Mart. And MPro 7 is available at Brownells.

And don't laugh at the Simple Green method. It is a superb way to get your AR-15 bolt carrier clean.

Mad.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
madgunsmith said:
And don't laugh at the Simple Green method. It is a superb way to get your AR-15 bolt carrier clean.
Anything to help with that pain in the butt! :p

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dont know what simple green is?

But once a year i give my rifles a through clean, I use boiling water from the kettle poured over the action /barrel flushing out crap and oil and then wipe down with a towl. The heat from the boiling water has heated the metal up and dries out any remaining water then i apply G96 gun oil while still hot.

Does away with the scary idea of puting things in an oven :shock:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
U dont know what simple green is!?!?!? *faints* :shock:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Mulga

Chances are they dont sell Simple Green in Australia...

http://consumer.simplegreen.com/ Its an "all purpose" cleaner. :wink:

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Lol, I know, but I thought that stuff was everywhere!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Only one of the greates cleaning chemicals know to man! Use it to whiten your whitewalls :D , brush your teeth :shock: , remove fingernail polish from your guitar :? , bugs from the front of your car :D , remove chlorine and other chemicals from your drinking water :? , polish silverware :) , take your daughter's fingerprints off your PC monitor after she's done playing fisherprice.com games :x , clean CD's/DVD's/CIDG's :? , clean the lenses of scopes and SOFLAM equipment :lol: , take stains out of upolstery :) , clean your Sledge-O-Matic :lol:,and MUCH MUCH MORE :roll:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
While placing the whole rifle in the oven does not seem quite right(Mads method would be easier), certainly placing the action(stripped of course)does not hurt the rifle, Slow rust bluing takes boiling it in water(212 degrees) Parkerizing about the same temp 200 degrees more or less, hot caustic blue is at 285-300, and teflon moly and the like are all 300 or more in an oven, so heating the rifle is not he issue here, except for maybe the smaller parts.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Of course, to apply teflon, gun-coke, ceramic, or other finishes to a rifle, you have to bake them at 300 - 400 degrees... for up to an hour or more. Of course, do not forget that just about all rifle barrels are stress relieved at far higher temps

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Same thing if you want to get an action or barrel or other part powder coated... they spray on a powdery coating color onto the parts (the parts are electrically charged so the powder sticks to it) then bake it at 350 degrees or so for a few hours.

BC

1 - 17 of 17 Posts