Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
I would be extremely interested in the results. I have the FBI test results from similar tests that they did, and it is very informative.

An important thing to take into account is the distance the barrier is in front of the target. The effect of bullet impact and the destruction of the bullet changes dramatically from 3ft to 10ft. If you can do multiple tests, with the barrier at various different distances, it would be useful information.

Also, I do not see M118 or M118LR listed on your ammo list. I can provide both types of loads if you do not have them. (though only limited amounts) Of course, M118LR I would expect to perform identical to Fed Match 175gr, but M118 is a whole different beast (and usually does quite well through glass)

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
The federal 165 tactical load is a direct result of the FBI testing of this same nature. The FBI found the 165gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw to perform the best through glass. Now, this was testing performed 7-8 years ago, perhaps even longer, and there a many new bullets out since then. So it will be interesting to see if the TBBC still reigns supreme.

Yeah, the match king bullets do not do well going through glass, strips the jacket right off of them. FMJ will generally always do better, and have poor expansion to go with it :wink:

Digital format for the data would be fantastic. I'll review and can format and post on the site... It'll be nice to compare against the FBI data. They shot through several different types of glass. Of course, their resources tend to be a bit better than the average joe, or "joe agency".

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Boy, if you think auto glass is tough (which it is!!) you should see cockpit glass from airliners! WOW!

Another possible test is testing the point of impact shift when glass is angled (45 degrees for instance).

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Holy cows! The forums have turned into a social bar gathering! :lol:

Okay, trying to bring it back on topic. For law enforcement, we are not really looking for penetration but not over penetration, what we are looking for is barrier penetration with as MUCH retention of bullet shape and structure, followed by enough penetration, without excess. I think the "enough without excess" is the easiest part. The hard part is first keeping the bullet in one piece well enough to achieve the 2nd.

I wonder if a solid copper bullet like the Barnes X-Bullets would work well. There is no jacket/core to worry about seperation, etc. If you get a chance, it would be very interesting to see how these solid copper bullets perform through glass barriers

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
Well, gee, thanks. I am interested in the triple shocks, I would thing they would indeed do well. The chemical bounding you are talking about is a fairly new thing, and I would ALSO be interested in the glass performance of one of the chem bounded bullets.

MEL

· Premium Member
9,401 Posts
I grew up in California, most all of my family still lives in California, and we will never move back to California.... Geographically, its a wonderful state, beautiful beaches, beautiful mountains, etc. Beurocratically and Politically, a disaster :? (oh, and too many people for my liking :D )

Like others have mentioned, GW is certainly not perfect, but he's the president, my commander and cheif, and far better than the alternative was (in my opinion).

Okay, thats about the most political as you will see me publically get.....

MEL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.