Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the SC3 is all together and ready to go, so I snapped a few photos before I mounted optics in preperation for test firing.

There are more photos on the SC3 page with some updated options and prices on the options.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sc3.htm

The Ken Farrell 10 MOA base mounted up perfect this morning, and the USO rings mount up great to the Farrell base. The Leupold Mk4 10x M1 gets mounted tonight and the rifle goes to the range tomorrow!! First batch of ammo to try will be PMC 140gr SMK 6.5x55 Match.

MEL

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
NICE!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If there was little emoticon things of a drueling guy... id stick a few on here. It looks AWESOME!!! Is there only a 10 MOA base? I looked over the link to the SC3 page and didnt see any info on bases. Maybe i missed it? A 300 Win Mag with a 26" #8 contour barrel 1:10" twist sounds good to me... but i would deffinitly want at least a 20 MOA base... prefferably a 30 MOA base. Do they make 20/30 MOA bases for the Montana Rifleman action?

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im currently building up a rifle... allthough i only have a few of the parts so far... its a Rem 700 LA (trued and tripple lapped) in 300 Win Mag with a 30 MOA base, Badger .50 cal rings, McMillan A5, Modified 40X trigger @ 2.5 pounds, #8 Contour 28" barrel 1:10" twist 5R rifling (button pulled), not sure what scope ill put on it... probably a Leupold VX-III 8.5-25 Mil Dot LR M-1... But to get to the point i was wondering what the options on the baser were with the montana rifleman action.. to be honest i have numerous Rem 700 rifles and i want somthing a lil different. Searching all my options...

BC

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
:? I think BC is DWP again (Drinking While Posting). j/k bro.

But I think you meant 28" barrel and a 8.5-25 on the scope. Just watching your back.

APK

p.s.- Mel that gun looks awsome and I can't wait for mine to be done! :D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
damn typo's... Thanks for the corrections. :wink:

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JRP3 said:
Mel,
Are you happy with how the action fit into the McMillan stock?
John
To be honest, it fit better than most the remington actions inlettings do!! I was very happy with the fit of the McMillan inletting. It impressed me.

For canted bases, your options are limited to Ken Farrell. USO was working on getting a program setup for the MT actions, you might want to call them. If you wanted no cant, then any Win 70 two piece system will fit.

MEL

·
Registered
576 Posts
Damn. I want one.

Begin the saving. When I'm of legal age I'll have the cash.

What a beautiful rifle. Very nice work, Mel. Let me know if you're ever in town, I'll "lose my wallet in your pocket." To use the local slang. Beer on me.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

AK said:
Damn. I want one.

Begin the saving. When I'm of legal age I'll have the cash.
Heh, if you think you have problems wanting one...

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the offer AK. What part of canada? I've been wanting to head up there sometime soon anyway....

MEL

·
Registered
576 Posts
Screw it. Someone needs to be sober to tow my underage ass back into the gutter. Sometimes I collapse on the sidewalk, and that's just not safe. :p

Eastern Canada. Way out there. Some rocky shithole called "Newfoundland." You'd be better off going to Quebec, where Muzz is. Why? Because there's grass there.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fired the SC3 today. Horrible shooting conditions, cold and gusting wind. Rifle is not broke in yet, but it did okay. The rifle is a nice shooter and it showed signs of good accuracy, though because of the conditions, our best group was probably only about .55 MOA. (I haven't got an official measure on it yet). Shouldn't be any problem getting some nice sub .5 MOA groups in nicer conditions, and if I can find my sand sock, rifle settles in, etc. We only fired 19 rounds through it, all PMC match ammo.

The action itself is not as smooth as a remington, but I attribute that to the claw extractor. It is still smooth, and should get even better once it wears in a little, but all actions just get a little stiffer with the claw extractor in there. But it still functions nicely.

Overall I'm happy with the rifle and look forward to building one for myself :D

Pictures and better groups coming soon.

MEL

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Do I even need to say how much I like pictures?

Sounds great Mele.

-snowy

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
any update on those pics? Sry im so anxious, lol.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snapping some tonight when I get home.

I did measure the one group, it was .520" Accuracy will not be a problem with these rifles....

MEL

1 - 20 of 54 Posts