Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which would come out ahead as far as ruggedness is concerned? When I say ruggedness I mean the "beat a nail into a piece of wood and not hurt the scope" type of ruggedness.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you look at the US Optics site they have pictures of an SN-3 placed between to stacks and they drive a SUV over it.

JEffVN

·
Registered
522 Posts
Without badmouthing one or the other, I would say USO hands down.

Plus USO will make it to your specs with the same if not more rugged-factor.

my 2

·
Registered
140 Posts
US Optics is light years ahead compared to Burris. Granted, most people dont have that kind of cash to throw at a scope, that is how Burris and other scope companies still sell products.

Here is a picture of a US Optics scope used as a hammer.

Here is a picture of a US Optics scope being water tested.

And of course the famous US Optics vs. truck test.

What scope company packs there scopes full of gunpowder then tries to blow them up? US Optics!!!

As i said, light years ahead of the rest. :wink:

The Rifleman

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hehe

Yeah, as for ruggedness I don't think there are any better than USO. If I dropped one in the floor I'd be more concerened about damaging the floor.

There's no doubt it's a good thing there are more affordable brands on the market - but, I still think it's worth saving up enough to buy ONE good scope than two less good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok then I just might save up some dough for one. :D

I LIKE it. My goal so far has been to build as rugged a rifle setup as possible. I Think I've annoyed mel though with a few things though which I don't care to get into concerning my rifle. :(

anyhow, I think I'll look around at their scopes.

I'd rather pay 2k on a scope that'll last me my entire life and hold up well than pay 600 for one that has a better chance of breaking.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Amen.

Having a great rifle ruined by a crap scope that breaks when you least need it can't be much fun. It's a chance I don't want to take, at least.

·
Registered
994 Posts
ok then I just might save up some dough for one. :D
Depending on the model you want, I'd strongly suggest looking for a used one: you can get 'em lookin' mint (and you know they'll function fine) but it'll stretch that 2K a LOT farther ('cause USOs are VERY expensive).

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Voldermortist said:
I Think I've annoyed mel though with a few things though which I don't care to get into concerning my rifle. :(
Heheh, well, its hard to annoy me, but we do need to be careful about the mid course changes. Its hard (and expensive) for us to change things once the project has started. But all is well, I just want to be sure you are happy.

In terms of ruggesness, yes, the USO scopes are more rugged. If that is your only concern, than yes, USO is the choice. But, I also think they can be too rugged to a fault. They are large and heavy, a price you pay for ruggedness. (oh, and cost). I'm sure others have seen this image though also:

No, thats not USO, thats Burris. Well, that is their titanium diamond scope. I suppose there is a point at which a certain ruggedness is enough.

MEL

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah i'm looking at their fixed ten power scopes right now. Price, I'll just save up. Patience is the key. I don't make much right now and I'm already paying for this rifle, but then again I do still live at home while I finish up school so I can spend money a bit more generously right now than I will be able to in the future. I figured now would be the time to get the expensive stuff I'd like.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'll tell you this.......no way my BD would stand up to that type of damage, maybe the water stuff.....but the truck and nail stuff.......I think not.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts