Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Iran's military?

Noooope

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
*NO COMMENT ABOUT IRAN*

(would an ant stand a chance against a 5 year old kid with a magnifying glass.... )

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Don't discount Iran so fast. Iran is more capapble definately more capable than Iraq was before we handed them their ass. Yes they are 3rd world, and yes we kick ass, but dont just think it is a cake walk. Loss of life would surely be higher than Iraq, plus with all the developments lately involving nuclear weapons..........gotta watch out for that. Now for the major ? Q: ..........would we win? A: Ur f*cken right we would, this is American damnit! But don't assume your invincible. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
p.s.- Iran has something iraq didn't.............submarines. Just one more concern.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Iran has subs? News to me. Anyway, I think the toll would be heavy and we'd need some major committment, but we'd win in the end. I admit I haven't paid much attention to the details, but they do seem more capable than Iraq does/did (emphasis on "did" since I could take on Iraq in it's current state by myself and win) even with just a short look. Mad said something about "conventional" warfare, I think that's the thorn that would stick in our side. They have insurgents just like Iraq and problably capabilities to outdo Iraq in that regard. Like I said: heavy toll and a major commitment. I don't think we'd be concentrating on them alone no matter what we do there. I'd like to avoid another war, but maybe they're helping anti-US terrorism that we're already at war with and we can't really wait forever. Know what I mean? I guess here's to hoping for that miracle that means no more good friends leave us. Long post short, I hope we don't have to kick another nation's ass again already.

·
Registered
994 Posts
madgunsmith said:
In a conventional war, no.
Agreed. Their government has already promised an asymmetrical war, which means an occupation of Iran will be similar to what we're fighting in Iraq, but they will have a bit more organization and structure. I'm asuming that the insurgents in Iraq are not controlled by a central authority, but perhaps a number of organizations are working in unison.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
187 Posts
APK-223 said:
p.s.- Iran has something iraq didn't.............submarines. Just one more concern.
Well that shouldn't really count. They are probably diesel subs which are very noise. Today we have the most advanced subs in the world. The only countries that have even closely comparable subs are the UK, Russia and a couple of other European countries. Maybe even Japan, but not for sure about that one.

·
Registered
994 Posts
morpheus said:
Maybe even Japan, but not for sure about that one.
Japan, I reckon, is still using diesel subs, too. Has to do with an irrational fear of nuclear reactors, I guess? :lol:

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Japan does not have a military... they are restricted to a National Defense Force (wich some mistake for a military) wich includes several 1950's era Diesel submarines. As far as submarines go... i wouldnt even worry about those. We can see and hear those old klankity things from hundreds of miles away.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Japan does not have a military... they are restricted to a National Defense Force (wich some mistake for a military) wich includes several 1950's era Diesel submarines. As far as submarines go... i wouldnt even worry about those. We can see and hear those old klankity things from hundreds of miles away.
Despite its name, Japan has an extremely capable military, which is capable of giving all its neighbours a very sore nose. Japan gives her military far more funding than does China, and uses about the best in sophistication. God knows where you got the idea that Japan operates 1950's designs, as they have some of the best diesel boats in the world - and despite what you may believe, a diesel boat will always be queter than a nuclear boat.

I do not know what submarines Iran has, however if they are Kilo's or better, and in good condition, they would pose a very real threat indeed.

That said, Iran doesn't have a chance in a conventioanl war, due to our having Iraq on one side and Afghanistan on the other as staging grounds for an attack from both directions.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Re: re

Yimmy said:
Despite its name, Japan has an extremely capable military, which is capable of giving all its neighbours a very sore nose. Japan gives her military far more funding than does China, and uses about the best in sophistication. God knows where you got the idea that Japan operates 1950's designs, as they have some of the best diesel boats in the world - and despite what you may believe, a diesel boat will always be queter than a nuclear boat.
Simple question... where in the world are you getting this information?

I was stationed in japan for several years and i have first hand knoledge of what they do to train... And as far as a Diesel submarine being more quiet than a nuclear sub... :lol: I mean come on... AND YES the submarine designs are from the 1950's... just as the Canadian Submarines are. Sure... the electronics have been updated but the actual hull and engine is basically the same.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Now, I've only got one question...why on earth would anyone bother attacking Iran in the first place? They're minding their own business. And as long as a certain other country is "allowed" to have the worlds largest nuclear arsenal - and at the same time being behind a vast number of wars the past decades - why aren't smaller contries allowed to have nukes? They all use the same reason for having nukes, the ultimate last defence against hostile attackcs.

If stupidity was a capital crime this world would've been a much quieter place :roll:

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Simple question... where in the world are you getting this information?

I was stationed in japan for several years and i have first hand knoledge of what they do to train... And as far as a Diesel submarine being more quiet than a nuclear sub... :lol: I mean come on... AND YES the submarine designs are from the 1950's... just as the Canadian Submarines are. Sure... the electronics have been updated but the actual hull and engine is basically the same.
Ballistic_Coefficiency, a man can travel the world and be handed out medals left right and centre, yet still be a prat.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
First off... medals are not handed out.

Second off... What i do... and what many many others do is noble.
First free election in Afghanistan in the countries 5,000 year history... and first free election for all Iraqi people... Men and Women... in Iraq's long history. I think thats pretty damn cool. Apperently some people dont care... :roll:

·
Registered
994 Posts

Yimmy said:
Despite its name, Japan has an extremely capable military, which is capable of giving all its neighbours a very sore nose. Japan gives her military far more funding than does China, and uses about the best in sophistication.
Japanese society thinks of its military in the way we, Americans, think of McDonald's grill operators: they're low-level putz' who couldn't get a good civillian job. Japan's military (by whatever name you wish to give it) exists ONLY because the United States forced it to, and continues to pressure the government to maintain it. Japan has no need to develop a military as the U.S. is contractually obligated to defend Japan, which is why the U.S. would rather Japan have its own defense forces.

Read my extensive report on Japanese military capability in the North Korean thread.

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Well that shouldn't really count. They are probably diesel subs which are very noise.
morpheus:

I'd be careful about that. Believe me; I have all the confidence in the US military. I am in the United States Navy. Don't discount Iran so quickly, diesel subs are actually very quite and hard to track. In my Naval Science class the other day we just went over what types of subs Iran has. They have very few, (barely in the double digits I think) but they are very quite and very capable of taking American lives. And when it comes to a loss of American lives, I do not take any chances, ever. Yes, our subs are modern marvels, and our submariners are very capable and well trained, but never underestimate your enemy, you will be sure to regret it.

Kamatz:

Honestly your view on nuclear powers scares me. I don't want any radical idealistic nut running around with a nuke. Even 1 is capable of immense destruction. You can't label it simply we have them so everyone should. It is just too dangerous, and too many lives are on the line. You said it yourself;
They all use the same reason for having nukes, the ultimate last defense against hostile attacks.
Does that mean if our fighting men and women are forced to go to war in Iran you would understand if Iran used a nuke on our forces? I have a serious problem with this. But then hey, maybe it is just me.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
No one deserves to have a nuke employed against them, whatever they may have done to be in that situation.

Aside from that though, I myself personally think some part of Iran's attitude comes from being called "Evil"...I wouldn't like that too much, really...and while APK is right, a stray nuke in the wrong hands could pretty well be the end of the world, they're being threatened with war pretty much every day. Granted if they are funding the opposition (or actually fighting) the US in Iraq, I understand, but that should be the issue, not the nuke premise. It just makes things WAY too tense on the world as a whole.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts