Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reason I am doing this pictorial is that after researching the Internet, I could not find a video or blog explaining the ADL to BDL process……that INCLUDED the ADL Mag. So I am putting this up so others can see it can be done. Its an extra $20 to buy the BDL mag plus your throwing away a perfectly good ADL Mag. Makes sense to simply modify your ADL MAG and spend the $20 on Ammo.

I am putting together a rifle for my son. So I am trying to keep this build on a budget. This Rifle was shared by my son and his brother when they were 9 and 10 years old. It was a 7mm 08 youth model. It has been sitting idle in the safe for too long. We got a 308 stainless, sporter contour barrel on Ebay for cheap. We had all the rest of the parts except the BDL Magazine. Rather than buy the mag, I chose to simply cut the existing ADL Mag to fit the BDL bottom plate.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Remove the Action

Start by removing the action from the ADL Stock. Remove the magazine, spring, follower and the magazine retaining screw. We will not be needing the ADL Trigger guard or the Trigger Guard retaining screw. Throw away the stock, trigger guard and trigger guard retaining screw (or give them away).

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next Place your action into the BDL Stock

Put the rifle Action into the BDL Stock and use the Action screws to secure it. Place the ADL Magazine into the action and make sure it is “seated” properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scribe a line at front and back of ADL Magazine for size

Use something to “Scribe” a line around the front and back of the magazine. Make the line close to where the stock is inleted. This is approximately the size that the magazine has to be to fit properly. IMG_0851.JPG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Connect the lines from front to back

You won’t be able to scribe around the sides as there is not enough room between the stock and the magazine. Remove the magazine and use a straight edge to line up the front and back scribes and scribe a new line to connect them.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Approximate sizing

Now we have our approximate size for cutting our ADL to BDL magazine. My approximate line measured at 30mm (see finished measurement).

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ADL Mag clamped up and ready to e cut.

ADL Mag clamped up and ready to e cut.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Use a pneumatic cut off tool

Use a pneumatic cut off tool. They are perfect for delicate precise cutting that is needed here.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No turning back now !

No turning back now. REMEMBER to leave yourself enough material for finishing with a file for fitting ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Burrs will be razor sharp so file them off before finish fitting with file.

Burrs will be razor sharp so file them off before finish fitting with file.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keep it true and Check the fit often !

Finish filing for FIT and try to keep it as true as possible. Check fit often because if you file too much off; it will be loose. You don’t want it tight, you just want it to be kept snuggly in place sitting on the bottom plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Loctite the mag retaining screw

This is an ADL Mag so I put a drop of Loctite on the Magazine retention screw that I saved from the ADL.

Secure the magazine to the action with the screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put the Action into the BDL Stock.

Put the Action into the BDL Stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good thing it was cut generously

In the end mine fit perfect and it measured 32 mm. Good thing that I cut it generous for filing.

Add your favorite BDL bottom metal. In our case we used Hawkins Precision CNC’d from Aluminum Billet.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done !

Cycled 100 rounds through the action reliably, and it looks good too.

DONE: .308 on a Budget. Lets hope it shoots straight. M.O. Paper Plate will be good enough for my son.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honestly, I am a die hard ADL guy. 20 years in the military, I like things that are "dummy proof" The ADL mag is about as simple and time tested reliable as it gets. I have plenty of MS rifles that are magazine fed. I have never encountered a scenario where I needed an extra mag with my Remington 700 or a reason to "dump" my mag. My son and I simply chose the BDL because it was a stock we had sitting on the shelf for years and his original rifle was an ADL youth model before we re barreled it to a 308. Next week we should have it finished with a rail and an optic and we will post a picture of it. Budget BDL rifle build. I would like to know more about DBM though. Perhaps one day my son may want to go that route. What type of DBM do you have and does it have any advantages over other DBM ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I prefer the BDL simply because it has the option of going either way: blind mag or dbm. Plus it doesn't have that annoying third screw to deal with on the stock. I too was raise with Remingtons only having blind mags. That's how my dad did it and so that's how I did it for a long time. My first DBM was a legacy sports. It sucked, so bad. I only got it because the guy I bought a used stock from threw it in with the deal. It only gave me one extra round over my blind mag but it maybe worked 50% of the time. The feed lips flexed so much rounds could pop straight up out of it. I very quickly switched back to just using the BDL mag. I kind of jumped on the magpul band wagon when they released their AICS mags and mag well. They worked flawlessly. I will admit I'm not a polymer fan, but for the price magpul is hard to beat. Plus I don't know about you but I've never had a problem out of a pmag. Recently I bought a Mcmillan used and the guy had a Badger DBM with it. It is built like a tank, SOLID aluminum. Not done any firing with it as I've not had time since I bought it. But it cycles flawlessly, and that's considering it's a 338 mag that the guy modified to run 300, and that I am now running 30-06 out of.

Due note that I do not condone using calibers in mags not built for them. I picked that up for a 300 win mag build I plan to do. During my research before hand I was going to go with either a Seekins Precision or accurate mag bottom metal. I'm not going to directly recommend these as I have no personal experience with them but I have read very positive reviews of both. One advantage of accurate mag is they make mags longer than AICS mags, so your hand loads can be longer. Same idea with modifying the 338 cip mag, but you don't have to modify feed lips. One down side I should mention about mags is you'll more than likely have to reduce your COAL if you hand load.

Prices are pretty different:
Magpul ~$70
Seekins ~$200
Accurate ~$300
Badger ~$345

Only reason I didn't consider badger in my original build is it just seemed so much more expensive than the seekins, but now that I own one I will say it's VERY nice.

Sorry for being long winded, but hope that helped

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1911. Thanks its a good start. I am holding an empty bag of knowledge when it comes to DB Mags..and you have provided some good knowledge to go in my bag.

IZ

·
Registered
227 Posts
One last thing, certain mag wells will require more inletting of the stock. My badger only fits my McMillan that has had the mag well extended. I can't put it in my Remington factory BDL stocks. Good DIY project though.

"Honey, where's my dremel?"

Just do your research, the internet is a powerful tool if used properly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts