Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get some info on the different USMC Special Operations units, specifically units who do a lot of Direct Action and CT.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The only real way to get info is to join the military and get into the "Spec Ops" community... since most information is "sensitive" about these types of units. Here is a small list of a few USMC Spec Ops units...

1: Task Force 121 (Joint Service / Country Unit)
2: Task Force K-Bar (Joint SEAL / Force Recon unit)
3: Marine Detachement One (SOCOM Special Forces Reconassaince)
4: Force Reconassaince (Multiple Company sized units usually attached to the headquarters group of a MEF with each 24 man platoon usually being attached to a MEU)
5: Marine Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team (F.A.S.T.)
6: Marine Radio Reconassaince
7: Marine Battalion Reconassaince
8: Marine SAR Team (Search And Rescue)

There are other "units"... such as "Ghost Recon"... yes like the tom clancy games. The Myth goes... "Ghost Recon" is a unit comprised of "Retired" Force Recon personell that now work for the CIA to conduct "sensitive missions" around the world. As i have stated... this is just a Myth... any real proof of this unit is non existant. "Ghost Recon" is just a nick name... i highly highly doubt that even if the unit does exist it would sport such a name.

Another unit... that i dont know much about to be honest... is the Presidential Force Protection unit. Embassy Guard Fast Reaction units are also very well trained and have extra weaponry and equipment.

BC

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
BC,

Do any USMC units fall under the JSOC? I know they used to refuse to put units under the command of JSOC. My understanding is that is where the special operations capable grew out of. The idea was they wanted marines commanded by marines I think. I didn't know if things had changed since I have been out for a while.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ekaphoto said:
Do any USMC units fall under the JSOC? I know they used to refuse to put units under the command of JSOC. My understanding is that is where the special operations capable grew out of. The idea was they wanted marines commanded by marines I think. I didn't know if things had changed since I have been out for a while.
Current JSOC Combined Task Force unit and personell information is classified as secret untill otherwise noted or cleared as declassified. (i dont have any info for you) However... i can say this... Marine Spec Ops units have worked with JSOC before.

BC

·
Registered
238 Posts
well i dont know if your dead set on the marine core, but the rangers do alot of CT, which is the area/branch i plan on getting into initialy

then obviously SF and COG are sure to have more qualified personell, which of course isnt released to the public anyway

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
westpointranger said:
So which units do a lot of Direct Action?
All of them... whether you hear about it on the news or not... all of them. If you are interested in seeing as much hard core combat as possible for some unknown reason... join a regular infantry unit.

shikaku said:
well i dont know if your dead set on the marine core, but the rangers do alot of CT, which is the area/branch i plan on getting into initialy
Marine CORPS... Corps being a unit size of 175,000 personel or more... 3 to 5 Corps and you have an Army.

shikaku said:
then obviously SF and COG are sure to have more qualified personell, which of course isnt released to the public anyway
Army SF units and training are not classified... operations and things of that type some times are.

BC

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shick,
I'm not dead-set on the Corps at all (hence the name westpointranger). What I'm trying to do is see if their is a Marine unit roughly equivalent to the Rangers.

BC, what can you tell me about MEU?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
westpointranger said:
What I'm trying to do is see if their is a Marine unit roughly equivalent to the Rangers.
The only real ability that the Army Rangers have that the USMC Expeditionary Infantry does not is being an all airborne unit. According to my brother ( a retired MEU Marine squad leader... and a current chalk leader in 3/75 Ranger Reg )... he has told me that Ranger training is basically Marine MEU training with the exception of airborne school... and basic static airborne school is not hard at all for any one in regular physical shape.

westpointranger said:
BC, what can you tell me about MEU?
Well... it would take me hours and hours to respond to that question and fully answer it. Soooo... here is a link that shows how the US Marine Corps is stacked up. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... index.html You can click on a unit and it will pop up to the next page with some basic information about the unit. Marine Special Ops and Special Forces units are not on that site anywhere that i can find... but there is some info on the other branchs SF units.

BC

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I was down in Jacksonville NC back in the 80's they had a unit called ANGLICO stationed out at French Creek. I think they were attached to 2nd FSSG (Field Service / Support Group) and I recall that they were pretty "High Speed".
Also don't count out the Marine Line Battalions. When I was in we did a lot (I mean a lot!) of patrol/ counter insurgency work. We used the Ranger Handbook as a guide, and I think were probably on par with them in a lot of areas. We were not all jump qualified, but we did have the whole Amphibious thing going for us.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
ekaphoto said:
BC,

Eka, I've met quite a few Marine's in the GB club at Bragg...that should answer your question.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
lonewolf said:
ekaphoto said:
BC,

Eka, I've met quite a few Marine's in the GB club at Bragg...that should answer your question.
Thanks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The USMC never refused to lend JSOC a unit or two of there SF guys. The USMC just does not want to give away there best units to the danged Army!!! Letting them borrow them for a few months at a time or somthing like that happens quite often and has for a while. Its all about funding money in the long run. The USMC wont give over any of its SF units to JSOC and SOCOM because JSOC and SOCOM refuse to fund the units. In affect making the USMC fund the units and missions without having any control or input into the units or actions in the missions.

The Rifleman

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
American Rifleman said:
The USMC never refused to lend JSOC a unit or two of there SF guys. The USMC just does not want to give away there best units to the danged Army!!! Letting them borrow them for a few months at a time or somthing like that happens quite often and has for a while. Its all about funding money in the long run. The USMC wont give over any of its SF units to JSOC and SOCOM because JSOC and SOCOM refuse to fund the units. In affect making the USMC fund the units and missions without having any control or input into the units or actions in the missions.

The Rifleman

I knew the USMC worked with JSOC, but that is diffrent than putting units under command as you say. I knew the USMC used to refuse to do this at one time. I can't say about other branches, but Army JSOC units are very well funded and get their money from JCOC. Part of the reason of JSOC was that the army convention minded pentagon did not want to fund SF units very well since they did not deem them important. At least that is my understanding on funding. It has been a long time. I know the other reasons for JSOC was also for other reasons as well that are too long to get into.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The main reason behind JSOC was to have one unit and one command to equal one perfect unit for all missions. Army SF cant do what SEAL's do as good as SEAL's do it and SEAL's cant do what Army SF does as good as Army SF does it, ect ect. So by combining Army SF, Navy SEAL's, Navy Specail Boat Team's, Marine Force Recon, Marine ANGLO Team's, Air Force FAC's, ect ect, they would form ONE perfect unit under ONE command. Now, the problem is that JSOC does not want to fund the Marine teams in the unit since JSOC is pretty much run by the Army and the people in charge of the JSOC are Army Officers who want to fund the Army SF teams in the unit's. :roll:

Another problem is that there arnt any Marines in control of any of these units. They are all Army, Navy, or Air Force Officers who would be controlling a Marine unit. The Marines dont like that idea, and i dont blame them.

Pretty much, its all one big pissing contest and all the branch's are invited :roll:

The Rifleman

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
as a active duty Marine who just came from 1st Fast Co, they do fall under the Spec Ops communtiry, and are starting to do more direct action missions.
other than that... their rotation schedules n training areas are pretty much on a need to know basis... but they are a good community, i liked it. i did three years there as a designated marksmen with a M14 DMR. good times with that unit overseas.. but just my .02

·
Registered
249 Posts
Jacksonville, NC....... if I ever have to back there I'll shoot myself. I got out of the USMC about 2 years ago. I was in 2/8 for most of my time then got sent to 2/2 and 1/8 when I wasn't reenilsting. Work ups for the MEU were pretty cool. A lot of long hours but the training we did, we never did again. Fast roping was great. A lot of great times while I was but there were more shitty times that I was more than happy to leave behind.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
gimpmsu said:
Where does Delta Force fall under?
USASOC

Clear as mud I am sure, let me explain. After the Iran hostage rescue failure there was a study done that basically said coordination between services sucked. Long story short the military created Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) in the 80's Under this command each service places their special operations units under the command of these. Then each service has a subordinate command that falls under JSOC. For army units is is called US Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) The units that fall under USASOC are Special Forces aka green berets, "Delta", 75th Ranger regiment, Civil Affairs, Psylogical Operations and the Special operations air wing known as the night stalkers.

The intresting thing about JSOC is that the DO NOT fall under te direct command of the pentagon, but are under the President and Secratary of Defense if I remember correctly. Also when this first started up the USMC refused to let some of their units fall under the command of someone other than the Marines. I have heard that changed. Because they were not part of JSOC they had what they called Special Operation Capable units. I believe this is where the FAST units originated from, but I could be wrong. Now just because the USMC was not part of JSOC does not mean thay did not attach units to JSOC units. I know as a fact they used to attach USMC ANGLICO's to the 75th Ranger Regiments.

Other Units that fall under JSOC are the Air Force Air Commando's and PJ's. Navel Special warfare that consists of SEAL's and some other supporting units.

There will be a test at the end of the week. :wink:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts