Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am a newbie, and I was wondering if there is any loss in optical performance when it comes to a variable power scope vs a fixed power scope.

And also, I am thinking of getting the illuminated reticle 5x33 from ATN. It seems like a really good price for an illuminated reticle. But the way this forum's going, ATN doesn't seem like a good choice.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
This is just Muzz talkin here, but welcome aboard!

Dunno much about ATN scopes so I'll leave that for the pros.

Fixed vs Variables really depends on what kind of shooting you want to do. For long range or tactical, I don't see a problem with a fixed scope, but you have to match the magnification with the shooting...the 1x per 100y is a good rule of thumb. Fixed scopes are stronger since they have less moving parts but I dunno if it really makes a difference, I never broke a variable yet. I kinda like the versatility of a variable though, if you intend to do any short range shooting at all.

I think a fixed might have more adjustment range but I'm not sure about that. I'll be corrected if I'm wrong lol.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ATN makes very nice night vision optics... i have used several models numerous times. Allthough... i have no clue how there standard optics hold up... ive never used them.

BC

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
hoohoo88 said:
I was wondering if there is any loss in optical performance when it comes to a variable power scope vs a fixed power scope.
With cheaper scopes yes... with high end scopes no.

BC

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
With the cheap variable power scopes, the problem isn't as much optical clarity (the lenses are the same no matter what magnification) but the higher the magnification shows the imperfections of the lenses. The other very big problem that tends to happen on cheaper variable power scopes is that the crosshairs change their point of aim as you go through the magnification range. Some of them are really bad, upwards of 2+ MOA.

Yes, I have broke a variable power scope with regular (well, tactical) use. It was a redfield illuminator 3-9x. The optics are fine, but something went belly up on the internals and the vertical adjustment will NOT move.

MEL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts