Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure this has been posted before so i'm sorry.

ok, obviously there are several forms of hearing protection...

i currently shoot on the range with electronic noise cancelling ear muffs. but when hunting season comes around (or when i get tired or wearing the muffs) what do y'all suggest?

i know that walker's game ear makes the "digital ear) which is small and wraps around and then inside the ear. this device amplifies noise and cuts out harmfull muzzle blasts. i just wonder how effective this is.

what say you? does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of where to look?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I hate to say it... but gee, I have no experience with these, and have not really heard a field report... sorry.

MEL

·
Registered
565 Posts
Personally, I'd use simple foam ear plugs. They're not too comfy, nor too effective (both good and bad). But the reason is that I don't want to waste my hearing any more than I already have in various ways. The ear plugs will give you fairly good protection against the shots you make during a hunt while not clogging your ear and making it all sweaty.

The best choice would be the electronic muffs as they can really give you an edge against those sneaky animals. But they're hell to wear for a day...that I know.

It's all personal preference. But personally, the slight discomfort of the ear plugs is nothing against the discomfort of tinnitus.

G

·
0 Posts
The type of ear plug I use is a brand called "Silencio". I like to use those or the foam type mentioned by Kamatz. I prefer them over ear muffs or other types of hearing protection because they (1) do not get in the way of my stock (2) the foam plugs are economical (the Silencio that I use cost about $7.00 for a pair). The foam plugs and the Silencio brand plugs offer very good hearing protection.

Tom

·
Registered
565 Posts
Oh you use them high-tech ear plugs? :lol:

I've been thinking about getting a pair, actually...so far I use muffs mostly. And the el-cheap-o foam plugs they hand out at base.

G

·
0 Posts
Kamatz,

Yes, I really like those silencio brand plugs. They are comfortable too. I think one of the pictures I posted in the gallery section I am wearing a pair of silencio's.

By the way I really like the way you have your rifle setup.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts