Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to find what are some of the various Powders for reloading the Sierra MatchKing 220 gr HPBT Bullet.

Thank you,

BubbaDean

·
Registered
879 Posts
Caliber?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Sorry forgot the caliber. It's 308.
I don't know if loading 308 with that heavy bullet is best way to go. Considering the case capacity and barrel length, in ballistic manner, not an optimal config in my opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know if loading 308 with that heavy bullet is best way to go. Considering the case capacity and barrel length, in ballistic manner, not an optimal config in my opinion.
In the Sierra reloading it suggest 8" or greater for the 220 gr HPBT bullet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What would be the C.O.L. for reloading the 308 Sierra 220 gr HPBT Bullet?

·
Registered
879 Posts
What would be the C.O.L. for reloading the 308 Sierra 220 gr HPBT Bullet?
It's up to your rifle chambering, or magazine length, whichever is shorter. Just measure your headspace and go from there.

Ok... So, why you want to use 220 gr bullet??? Is there a specific reason you must go with this? Only reason I can think of is to load sub-sonic rounds to shoot them out of AR platform for CQB purpose, but even that's not efficient way to go. Less loud rounds for short range hunting, perhaps?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll answer the question, IMR 4895, HODGDON BENCHMARK, IMR 4166, HODGDON H335, HODGDON VARGET, IMR 8208 XBR, WINCHESTER 748, HODGDON CFE 223, HODGDON H4895, HODGDON H4895, HODGDON BL-C(2), IMR 3031....and many more!.... With the proper charge you should see velocity around 2,100-2,300 fps (around a 24" barrel), all this info was found on "HODGDON RELOADING DATA CENTER" online, and many many other bullet and powder manufacturers will give data, just need to look around (nosler, alliant powder ect), and you will probably need at least 1-10 twist for supersonic and 1-8 for subs.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE RELOADING, and get yourself a $100 chronograph, reloading without one is a waste of time

Like many stated above, 308 win is not ideal for 220g bullets super or subsonic, (300 win mag, 300PRC ect. for super 220g and 300 blackout for sub 220g would be ideal) but you gotta work with what you have!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts