Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ! I am tweaking a friend of mine's Vepr sporter rifle (.308). I noticed upon ejection that each case had a dent about mid way down. He had given me some South African ammo so I shot those first to get the scope as close to the target dot as possible. My plans were to finish with my handload 168 gr Federal GMM clone. I fired two of those and the cartridges dented in also. I ceased because I did not want to ruin my good brass. This is the Vepr with the RPK reciever. Does anyone know of such a problem existing ? Does any of the readership own one of these rifles ? Thanks, sure would appreciate any help on this one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hello, thansen.

The problem you encountered is common to all AK-based designs. Some weapons damage cases more, some less, but it is very likely to happen in AK's, RPK's, .308 and .223 Veprs and Saiga rifles.

In fact, I doubt Kalashnikov cared about brass preservation in assault rifle :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caban,

Thank you for the information. I will have to tell my neighbor about this, I kind of figured that was the deal with this rifle. Maybe I'll scrounge up some brass with one more reloading left on them and load them up as close to match grade to put the "finish" on the scope.

I'll guess my buddy will have to find a "compromise" ammo to use.

I noticed that your profile said you are in Moscow. Are you native Russian ? If so, greetings my Russian friend !!

Thanks again for the help.

Tom

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, thansen, I'm Russian. Greetings to you, too!

Recoil's advice is wise one - Wolf is by no means match grade, but it is decent general purpose ammo. Though you may encounter slightly inconsistent powder loads, so your friend may want to weigh cartridges, thus ruling out "bad" ones.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Caban and Recoil,

Thanks for the info on the ammo. This explains everything, sure do appreciate the help.

Tom

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The dent is caused by the ejector. Unsightly though it may be, that dent does not effect the utility of reloaded ammo.

Just don't worry about it. Or else it will drive you

Mad.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mad,

I am a Mad man, ha ha.... So you are saying to go ahead and try reloading the cases ?

Tom (slightly insane)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Recoil,

How is everything going ? I think if they get too bent I'll have my neighbor buy one of those shoot around the corner barrels.

Ah ! Such is the madness we have to put up with our guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts