Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.wkyc.com/video/player.aspx?a ... =30596&bw=

Let us assume that what newspaper editors, community leaders, civil rights groups, and Bernie Ward tells us is true: criminals aren't bad people, they're simply products of their environments. They've been raised to be violent and aggressive, and so it isn't their fault.

What do we do with mean doggies that have been raised to fight?

I vote we concede that criminals don't have to own up to personal responsibility, that it IS society's fault they're violent, abusive people, and then we deal with them in the way we would any other wild animal that only knows how to do harm to others.

At the least, no one would think of releasing a wild pitbull, even if they don't approve of putting it to sleep... so isn't permanent incarceration the minimal we should do to ensure career criminals stay off the street?

Thoughts? Comments?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
383 Posts
There would be a lot of psycobabble that goes along with this. Human thought processess, reactionary impulses, devolution, etc.

I vote we concede that criminals don't have to own up to personal responsibility, that it IS society's fault they're violent, abusive people, and then we deal with them in the way we would any other wild animal that only knows how to do harm to others.
But where does one draw the line? How do you define which part of society is at fault? Aside from the mentally instable, people are born with a sense of right and wrong- cause and effect.

Criminals do not go into a liquor store ignorant that it is against the law, that criminal knows what he is doing, and does it of his own free will. I would hessitate to think because someone grows up in harlem, or southside fort worth, that they will be a criminal because of scociety. It is a choice.

However, I do feel jail is the right thing to do, I do not believe letting life in jail be as "easy" as it is. I think parole should be abolished, or re-instituted with harsher sentences.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
There's a wide variety of criminals. Some are just minor dabblers and petty troublemakers. Then you have normal people who have gone astray via drugs and alcohol. Then you get a number of just plain mean bad-ass folks. Then you also encounter a certain number of professional criminals. The pros are just normal folks who just happen to make their living within the crime industry. And last but not least, let us not forget the psychos.

And with all these various types, there just is not one solution.
The psychos need treatment within a mental facility. The drunk and the addicts need to be committed to a secure hospital facility and cleaned up.

And when we have to send someone to jail, I don't want them getting out even meaner and more vicious than they were when we sent them there. And if someone does smarten up while in jail, what's the harm in giving them parole? Surely some folks in jail benefit from the possiblity of parole? Doesn't it give some the incentive to obey the rules?

I'm not sure that I have all the answers, but I do know that the jails are basically gladiator schools. And the scary folks within those jails will one day rejoin communities such as yours.

One last scary thought. Last year, I had to visit a penitentiary. My client was locked up in secure custody because some of the other inmates were trying to kill him. I entered the penitentiary and it was the scariest experience of my life. The guards told me to stick right with them and not to look at anybody. And as we went deep within the facility, I saw a naked black man in a small cage. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and the guard explained that the guy was inside a special shower.

The shower had bars on it and resembled a cage. The reason why the guy was in a caged shower was so that people couldn't try to kill him while he was in the shower.

With the greatest of respect, unless you've ever visited a place like that, you really don't know anything about crime and punishment.

Mad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts