Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the new VLS to the range for the second time this morning. Conditions were 85deg, humidity 74%, light SE breeze.

Purchased 2 boxes of 168gr Federal Gold Match to see how the rifle digested it, and I was pleased with the results. I'm a less than experienced shooter, with good but not great technique. I set my trigger up at 2.5# and I think I'm pretty comfortable with it there. But, I think I'm gonna play with the travel a little bit tonight.

20 rounds were fired throughout the session. I can lay down 4 good shots, but I tend to get a flyer on the 5th round....and always the 5th round. Any suggestions? The rifle has only had 50rds down the tube so far, so I'm hoping with more practice and more rounds through the tube, both of us will get better.

Here are 2 five shot groups from today. I'm hoping the flyer right was me.

Here's the second group, I was trying to take out the #8 in the target face.
I was able to cover the first 4 with a quarter, but I still have that flyer in there.

Thanks for reading,
Matt

·
Registered
347 Posts
Well Matt, the way to get rid of that 5th round flyer is to simply not shoot a 5th shot in the group!! :D Just kidding. What distance were you shooting at?? How fast were you shooting the shots?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the barrel keeps heating up by that fifth shot that can effect the POI correct??

-Brian Shields

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dead_I_5_0 said:
Well Matt, the way to get rid of that 5th round flyer is to simply not shoot a 5th shot in the group!! :D Just kidding. What distance were you shooting at?? How fast were you shooting the shots?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the barrel keeps heating up by that fifth shot that can effect the POI correct??

-Brian Shields
I've actually considered NOT shooting a 5th round!!!! j/k :D

Distance was 100yds. Tough to find a public range in FL thats any longer than that. As far as the time between rounds, I'd say it's 30-45 sec. I take a little time to breathe and let my heart rate drop a little. I have a Varmint barrel so it takes a few rounds before it gets "warm" to the touch.

I'm thinking I just need more trigger time and everything will be ok. I also wanna work on some breathing techniques. Anyone have a favorite that they use?

-Matt

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
dead_I_5_0 said:

-Brian Shields

Correct, bbl warming up can and will affect impact. Every rifle is diffrent some may be an inch off, others 1/4 in, but it will affect it to some degree.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
i always breathe in...out...in...out....in then hold he out and shoot--i reccomend getting some snap caps to practice your firing tecqniques

dom

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
700VLS said:
dead_I_5_0 said:

-Brian Shields
I've actually considered NOT shooting a 5th round!!!! j/k :D

Distance was 100yds. Tough to find a public range in FL thats any longer than that. As far as the time between rounds, I'd say it's 30-45 sec. I take a little time to breathe and let my heart rate drop a little. I have a Varmint barrel so it takes a few rounds before it gets "warm" to the touch.

I'm thinking I just need more trigger time and everything will be ok. I also wanna work on some breathing techniques. Anyone have a favorite that they use?

-Matt
I really cant say for sure without watching you shoot, but here are a couple of things to try.

Longer times between shots. Yes your bbl takes longer to heat up, but also takes longer to cool down. Try 2-3 min between shots.

This is my GUESS what may be causing the flyer. Hold your follow through. Many times when you shoot you look up to see whare you hit. It is natural. What happens is when you do this if the bullet hasn't cleard the bbl, you may throw a round or two. So next time you shoot keep your position for say 15 seconds after you have fired. Just relax in the shooting position after the shot insted of looking up. This is something that does NOT come natural at first. So it goes like this:

Get into position

Fire and hold position in your relaxed statet.

count to 15 slowly

look at target.

Don't try to force the rifle back on target etc, just stay relaxed and let the rifle recoil and stay where it falls.

try these one at a time, not both at once since that will tell you what you were doing to get the flyer. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
777 Posts
700VLS said:
Tough to find a public range in FL thats any longer than that.
Matt, where in Florida are you? There's a range about 40 minutes from my house with a 200 yard line, and 2 300 yard positions. The range is in Mims, off SR 46 (near the space center)

Theres another range in Sebastion (I think) with a 600 yard line. If you're ever in Cocoa drop me a line.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If your rifle is new, and untouched by a smith you might be doing everything perfect and that may be thebest you can hope for out of your rifle. Generally speaking, a bedding job and trigger job can reduce some of what you are experienceing.

How often do you dry-fire rifle for pracitce on feeling your trigger function? You seem to have a bit of horizontial spread in your groups, dry fire and shooting pracitce will help you take some of that out.

Plus are you sure that you are getting back to the EXACT same cheek weld and spot weld on the stock? If not, that alone can double or more the size of your groups.

Keep at it, it gets a bit easier as you get more experience on your rifle behind the scope.

JeffVN

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
when your shooting also make sure you have something solid under the butt of your gun--that can make a world of difference--try using some of these snap caps http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true i just recenyly got some and they are great!! great quality--i reccomend you getting some

dom

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bead Drawer said:
700VLS said:
Tough to find a public range in FL thats any longer than that.
Matt, where in Florida are you? There's a range about 40 minutes from my house with a 200 yard line, and 2 300 yard positions. The range is in Mims, off SR 46 (near the space center)

Theres another range in Sebastion (I think) with a 600 yard line. If you're ever in Cocoa drop me a line.
Bead Drawer,

I'm in Rockledge! The range that I go to IS the one in Mims, but everytime I go the longer ranges are closed. Do you know why?

Yes, the one in Seb does have a 600yd line, just haven't been able to make it out there yet.

Where in Cocoa are you?

-Matt

·
Registered
777 Posts
Matt, usually when the 200 yard range is closed it's for IPSC, IDPA, or CAS. Each has monthly matches, and they use the 200 yard range. If there's nobody on the line don't assume it's closed, just go talk to the RO. Usually they're ok with you using it as long as you tell them. I believe we also just put in a 300 yard line with 2 benches next to the 200.

I haven't made it out to Sebastion yet either, but I hear its a really nice, multi-million dollar facility. Somebody told me about a third long distance range around here somewhere, I'll have to find him and ask him about it again.

I'm off Clearlake Road, near BCC. We'll have to go shooting sometime soon! (I also have a membership to the indoor police range on 405, but that's pistols only).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bead Drawer,

I usually go pretty much every weekend to shoot the rifle. Just give me a shout on my private email and I'll meet you up there. I usually go to the Gun Site in Merritt Island to shoot the pistol.

[email protected]

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts