Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any kind of volunteer law enforcement program. A friend of my wife was with a local agency (I can't remember if it was troopers or who) and I think she said he volunteered, but it could have been reserves. I've thought about doing something like that before, but she's training to be a volunteer EMT now and it kind of inspired me I guess. I'm in Kansas if anyone knows specific info for here. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I don't know about your specific area, but the LE agencies in our area have reserve police officers and a senior volunteer group. The reserve officers work as police officers but only on a part time basis. The volunteer patrol are a group of volunteers that drive around in a patrol car but it is marked volunteer patrol. The volunteers are not armed or respond to calls. They just drive around and show a presance and call in any illegal activity. I have mixed feelings about the volunteer patrol. On one hand there are more eyes and ears out there. On the other hand they are big targets to some meth monster that think they are cops and want to take them out. Those idiots used to mistake me for a cop when I worked as a medic for an ambulance company, let alone a patrol care look alike.

Most agencies allow ride alongs, you may go to your local station and talk to them.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Not sure about your area either, but many Ohio agencies have reserve or auxillary programs. the Officers are sworn, and armed, but usually work with a full time officer. The reserves have full arrest powers, and in some smaller agencies are even on tac teams, as many are retired full time guys or former military police etc, and just want to stay involved. Check with local agencies, this is how I got started 14 years ago.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I poked though that site and it sort of looks like what I might be thinking of. The thread that's talking of security stuff ("Another day at the office", which looks like a gig I'd like) kind of got me thinking about that too, not the mercenary kind of firms but one of the legitimate ones. Well if anyone thinks of anything else that might be helpful please let me know. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts