Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Diamond Back tatical 6 - 24 x50 for My Bergara BMP, (yes being cheap)... Anyone have this scope and how do you like it?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I bought a Diamond Back tatical 6 - 24 x50 for My Bergara BMP, (yes being cheap)... Anyone have this scope and how do you like it?
I bought one last June to replace the Viper 4-16X50 on my .308 to get a little more magnification. I like it very much. Though I DID have a problem with it in the the parallax adjustment moved to where I had to set it to infinity to get it to focus at 100 yds. This was after about 1000 rounds fired and just recently got a replacement from Vortex. They sent me a new one with a note saying that the one I sent to them could not be repaired. And so far, the scope is working well. Probably the only thing than bugs me a little is that such a small turn of the adjustment nob to get the parallax just right. Otherwise, the parallax works perfectly through the full range.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought one. I like it ok, but mushy turrets.
I saw a few reviews on YT, that stated mushy turrets.. Not to sure what they mean by that since I don't have a high end scope to compare it to to "feel" the difference.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I saw a few reviews on YT, that stated mushy turrets.. Not to sure what they mean by that since I don't have a high end scope to compare it to to "feel" the difference.
I tend to agree on the "mushy turrets" as my Diamonback's is not as crisp as my Viper. I think it's fair to say what is not "mushy" are turrets where each click is a nice sharp click into each position without any further movement perceived.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree. Good definition. I think I got mine a couple years ago, $300 maybe? I've got that one, and a couple HSTs. They're pretty nice in my book. Those are about as much as I care to spend. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna check out a model called Strike eagle. They got a variable up to 24 or 25x by 50 for around $300. SFP, which I don't mind either. That price is on a place called Europtic. Either that one or the Nikon force1000 or somfin like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm using a Vortex PST 6x24x50 EBR SFP on my Savage 110 LE 338LM. Several hundred rounds through it. I mainly practice at 1/4 mile as it is close and safe. I get 1/4 groups, still, prone and bipod with fist as rear rest on a card table. 1/4 means 1/4 mile with groups inside a quarter.
My turrets are definitely not mushy, crisp clicks. I don't go past magnification set-point 6 unless I am looking a ridge over.
The only time I need to adjust the scope is when I change direction, ie not due east but shooting N, or NNW, S etc or uphill or down hill. Always returns to zero, exactly.
Perchance I just managed to get an excellent one.

Now I must admit that I am anal as my wife says. I used a level 0.0001 inch per deviation. I had a plumb bob hanging at 400 yards to check my perpendicularity to earth/barrel CL vertical.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I'm using a Vortex PST 6x24x50 EBR SFP on my Savage 110 LE 338LM. Several hundred rounds through it. I mainly practice at 1/4 mile as it is close and safe. I get 1/4 groups, still, prone and bipod with fist as rear rest on a card table. 1/4 means 1/4 mile with groups inside a quarter.
My turrets are definitely not mushy, crisp clicks. I don't go past magnification set-point 6 unless I am looking a ridge over.
The only time I need to adjust the scope is when I change direction, ie not due east but shooting N, or NNW, S etc or uphill or down hill. Always returns to zero, exactly.
Perchance I just managed to get an excellent one.

Now I must admit that I am anal as my wife says. I used a level 0.0001 inch per deviation. I had a plumb bob hanging at 400 yards to check my perpendicularity to earth/barrel CL vertical.
So, 1/4 mile is 440 yards. A quarter is 0.955 inches. If your groups from a 338 are INSIDE a quarter, that would mean center to center groups would measure 0.617” (0.955-0.338). Those groups would measure 0.134 MOA or very near 1/8 moa. These groups are just about good enough to win any bench rest competition around! I applaud you...especially seeing as you can do that with your scope only set on 6x magnification. The reticle would actually be thicker than the quarter at 440 yards on 6x magnification.

Are these groups normal for you, or just a one time thing? How many shots in the group? Three? Five?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought one last June to replace the Viper 4-16X50 on my .308 to get a little more magnification. I like it very much. Though I DID have a problem with it in the the parallax adjustment moved to where I had to set it to infinity to get it to focus at 100 yds. This was after about 1000 rounds fired and just recently got a replacement from Vortex. They sent me a new one with a note saying that the one I sent to them could not be repaired. And so far, the scope is working well. Probably the only thing than bugs me a little is that such a small turn of the adjustment nob to get the parallax just right. Otherwise, the parallax works perfectly through the full range. jiofi.local.html tplinklogin is it down

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saw a few reviews where folks had trouble with Parallax and Vortex took care of it for them. I did my initial site in @ 25yrds (Indoor range) and parallax was set to 25yds. so no issue there. I may just up the ante a go for a higher end scope. Problem is, in my geographic location is there are not many 1000yd ranges around with out a 4 hr. road trip..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts