Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking and trying to land on a scope and price. Looking at the Athlon Ares 4.5-30x56. And the Vortex viper pst 6-24x50. Leaning toward the Athlon. Just thought somebody here would have had experience with both . Really don’t want to spend much over these two. But I will if I have to . Even looked at the vortex viper gen 1. It is very well priced just didn’t know how it compared the these two higher end scopes. . This scope is going on a Tikka T3X Tac A1. Long range target. I want to buy one time. But here is where I am at. I shoot 22lr benchrest. My scope is a sightron SIII 5-55 power. $1000 dollar scope. I shoot with guys running the $2400 Nightforce . I can’t see any difference at all in the two except at max power the Nightforce May gather a little more light. So that is 1500 bucks I saved and never look back. That is what I am looking for here. I could probably settle this myself. But it is hard to find a dealer that you can looks through the brands.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 and would highly recommend it. I was out last night until I needed to use a flashlight to get out of the woods and I could have still shot something with it.

I have it on a .300 WM that I use for long range hunting and play. The only limiting factor for the scope has been me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I kept digging and reading reviews. Probably going to go with the vortex. Read of a few more problems on the Athlon, than I would like to have read. Probably go with the Viper pst6-24x50. Unless I change my mind and step up to the Razor.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've got the Gen2 PST and the Athlon ERT and the ERT is the better scope. The Gen 2 is much better than the Gen 1 PST.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Well, I kept digging and reading reviews. Probably going to go with the vortex. Read of a few more problems on the Athlon, than I would like to have read. Probably go with the Viper pst6-24x50. Unless I change my mind and step up to the Razor.
Step up to the Razor is always a good idea if you can swing it. Excellent scopes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I haven't used both but I do have the vortex viper on my Ruger Precision. I love it. It's great quality and very clear. I would definitely buy it again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Go with the Vortex Viper pst gen 1. $500 on eurooptic.com right now.

I don't think Vortex's warranty can be beat by any other manufacturer. Even if you bought a used one on eBay and broke it, you're still covered.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Vortex Viper HS-T as well as Leopold & Zeiss. They are all good scopes. But for the money I think Vortex is a better buy. I personally feel my Vortex is better than the several Leupolds I have & almost matched to my Zeiss which was alot more $.

As far as Vortex warranty... They are amazing. I have their rangefinder & Viper binos. I had an issue with my rangefinder where is would not store my brightness setting. One 5min call to Vortex & my rangefinder was getting packaged out to them. Even better it only took about 2 weeks to get a new one back.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
“Vortex warranty is awesome”

I’ve heard this too many times. I am glad they have a great warranty. I’m glad they stand by their products. If they didn’t have a good warranty, then people would tell you their product is junk.

I personally would rather a scope that doesn’t fail and need to be sent back. That however is probably not either of the scopes being talked about or any other scope in that price range for that matter. Therefore I guess in that price range I would choose the scope with the best warranty knowing that eventually if I used it long enough I would probably need to send it back.

BTW, I had an HST and glass was horrible. I currently have a diamondback tactical and glass is a little better than the HST was, but still not great. I can’t give you a comparison to Athalon as I have not owned one.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Everyone would rather have a scope that doesn't fail but any scope can fail. I have had S&Bs fail and NF also. A few USO scopes. Vortex scopes percentage wise don't go back anymore than others in similar price ranges. People just speak well as they are treated well if they have an issue. They like to tell people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-2x50 on my Rem 700 .30-06 a couple of weeks ago. I am extremely happy with this scope. The optics are crystal clear down to very low light levels and the illuminated reticle is fantastic when the light levels get low. Dialing in bullet drop and wind corrections are a snap and return to zero is precise. I cannot comment on Athlon because I have never owned one but I give my Vortex 10/10

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 4 Athlon scopes and 2 Vortex and I prefer the Athlon. Optics are pretty close in clarity with the edge going to Athlon, I did buy a Athlon benchrest scope and it was not clear, sent it back 3 days later had a new second gen scope clear as can be, lady told me they had some issues with first generation ones.

·
Vendor
1,108 Posts
“Vortex warranty is awesome”

I’ve heard this too many times. I am glad they have a great warranty. I’m glad they stand by their products. If they didn’t have a good warranty, then people would tell you their product is junk.

I personally would rather a scope that doesn’t fail and need to be sent back. That however is probably not either of the scopes being talked about or any other scope in that price range for that matter. Therefore I guess in that price range I would choose the scope with the best warranty knowing that eventually if I used it long enough I would probably need to send it back.

BTW, I had an HST and glass was horrible. I currently have a diamondback tactical and glass is a little better than the HST was, but still not great. I can’t give you a comparison to Athalon as I have not owned one.
Athlon happens to have excellent quality control which is why you do not see countless posts about their warranty. They have a lifetime no fault warranty if it's ever needed, however, due to their inspection system and strong quality control I do not think it will be an issue needing it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts