G'day all.

Pro's.

Cons.

Which one is the better scope, etc??

Ive used NF's but not the Razor.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
If you are talking about the nightforce F1... then I'd pay the extra couple hundred bucks to get the nightforce. Especially since they finally came out with the 10 mil turrets.

I got rid of my nightforce when I got my premier, but I also have a razor. Its a hell of a scope for the money, but in my opinion it should be priced at $1500 instead of $2000. If you look around, you can probably get one for close to that $1500 mark.

The eyebox on the razor is very unforgiving compared to the NF. Eye relief is about the same, but you have to be absolutely dead center right behind the vortex to get a clear ocular. It can be distracting for new shooters. Doesn't bother me that much.

The 35mm tube means you have to spend a couple hundred on rings too. Not a big deal, but noteworthy.

The 10 mil turret of the nightforce is major if you shoot long range. If you only shoot 500yds or so, then you'll never get out of the first turn on a regular NF or the razor anyway. I will say that the 5 mil stuff is not TERRIBLE either, but its kind of a personal preference thing.

If you want, I can post a bunch of through the scope pics of the razor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could you post through the scope pictures of the razor and premier? I know the premier has better glass, but still just a comparison.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Orkan said:
If you are talking about the nightforce F1... then I'd pay the extra couple hundred bucks to get the nightforce. Especially since they finally came out with the 10 mil turrets.

I got rid of my nightforce when I got my premier, but I also have a razor. Its a :) of a scope for the money, but in my opinion it should be priced at $1500 instead of $2000. If you look around, you can probably get one for close to that $1500 mark.

The eyebox on the razor is very unforgiving compared to the NF. Eye relief is about the same, but you have to be absolutely dead center right behind the vortex to get a clear ocular. It can be distracting for new shooters. Doesn't bother me that much.

The 35mm tube means you have to spend a couple hundred on rings too. Not a big deal, but noteworthy.

The 10 mil turret of the nightforce is major if you shoot long range. If you only shoot 500yds or so, then you'll never get out of the first turn on a regular NF or the razor anyway. I will say that the 5 mil stuff is not TERRIBLE either, but its kind of a personal preference thing.

If you want, I can post a bunch of through the scope pics of the razor.
I agree with that having had 2 F1s and a Razor.

I will add that I got rings with my Razor and it came to around $1890 through Liberty Optics. That said I would still get the F1 as my first choice between the two.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Thanks Rob.

Yup, a few nice pics for comparison in that thread. I need to take some better ones when the lighting is better. The pic of the IPSC at 1125yds shows off the premier pretty well. Its 3x the scope the vortex is, and 2x the scope the nightforce was. After using the premier, I have no need for S&B.

Here's a pic showing the size relation to the 5.5-25x50 nightforce.

So, the real question is money. If money is a concern, then go with the vortex. It will likely serve you well.

If you have a bit more money, go with the nightforce.

If you want the best... forget them both and call Scott @ Liberty Optics and buy a premier!

·
Registered
141 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Orkan said:
So, the real question is money. If money is a concern, then go with the vortex. It will likely serve you well.

This is why I ultimately bought the Razor (is it here YET?!?!) But I must point out one very important exception, at least to me...

When I actually sat down and wrote out on paper what I expected in a scope, I realized that my field shooting was outpacing the magnification of my past 4.5-14 and 4-14 and 4-16's.

At 2000 yds. stuff is starting to get really small, and yes I *could* hit it but at that distance and beyond, it would be nice to at least have the extra magnification available for use in the right conditions. So, on paper at least, regardless of cost (and yes, the cost difference was prohibitive, but I was looking at PERFORMANCE first), the F1 was eliminated. Rumors continue to circulate about the highly anticipated F1 big brother, but the "when" and the "$how$ $much$" put the stake in it's heart. With the Leupy's horrible reputation at this point, the Razor was the only logical choice. I do wish it went 25x and had a .04 mil reticle. Oh well....

John

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Orkan said:

If you want the best... forget them both and call Scott @ Liberty Optics and buy a premier!
2 out of 3 aint bad. ;) I wouldn't call the Premier the best. I like my S&Bs better than the 2 Premiers I had. Mostly the knobs. Hate MTC and don't like the feel of the Premier clicks. Like the dual turn S&B knob better. Glass is excellent in both and both tracked perfectly in my tests, which is more than I can say about another higher priced scope.

I also don't like the GenII XR reticle. Don't like the line and dot size relationship. The original GenII is an excellent reticle. I have one in my older S&B 5-25x56 actually.

A few other personal reasons as well but that's not for the forums. You will be served well by the Premier but it wouldn't be my first choice.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I'm with Rob01 on the Premier. I didn't like the clicks either, and with the FFP I couldn't even see the reticle at lower powers. It looked like a duplex reticle at 3-6x's. Not that those who have them use the lower magnification alot, at least not at long ranges. I guess I just like the spacing of each click on my Nightforce. When you make an adjustment on a Nightforce you know you've made an adjustment. Having 5mils per turn isn't a problem either with the zero stop. 10mils per turn would be nice though.

B

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Rob01 said:
Hate MTC and don't like the feel of the Premier clicks. Like the dual turn S&B knob better. Glass is excellent in both and both tracked perfectly in my tests, which is more than I can say about another higher priced scope.

I also don't like the GenII XR reticle.
Yeah, that was my fanboy coming out for a second. :)

I LOVE the MTC, and you must have had one of the early single turn premiers huh? I hated them too. The new 2 turn MTC is by far and above my favorite turret on earth.

I love the genIIXR too. :) Semantics really... it isn't like you'll hear me saying S&B's suck... because they don't. I just prefer a few of premiers niceties over them.

I'll say premier is one of the best. Better? ;)

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
My 3-15x was one of the first ones out and a single turn, which was horrible, but my 5-25 was a dual turn, which was better but I still didn't like the feel and as mentioned didn't like the reticle. I would want a standard GenII in the 5-25.

I'll go with one of the best ;)

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, that answers my queastion really. I think I should still go with a NF like I was thinking, Its just a matter of whether I get The F1 or a normal SFP version. Money is an issue sorta but I'd rather get the best I can. I dont really wnat to spend more then what a NF is worth. Also remember that I cant get a NF here in australia for the same prices you guys can. A SFP 3.5-15x50 MLR Mil/Mil ZS is about $2220 AUD. I havent seen the F1 advertiseed yet but i shudder to think of the cost (probably 2500 - 3000) AUD. This is due to NF's export restrictions.

Keep the info coming guys. Also, any aussies who have seen a F1 for sale in Aussie, LET ME KNOW!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey mate
I have a NF NXS 5.5-22x50 with a NP-R1 reticle and zero stop, mounted on a EGW 20moa rail on my left handed .223 Tikka T3 Stainless Varminter 1:8 twist and i love it. It is a sweet shooter out to 1000 yards and loves the Sierra 80gn HPBT Match. I went the NP-R1 reicle as i like the 1moa graduations as i use it for ranging targets while hunting with it. I am in the process of getting a Manners MCS-T4 stock so i can shoot more F-Class with it.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Hey shaun, If my resident gunsmith is at the range tomorrow I'll ask him about getting the F1 in Aus. He's got a full room with just SIII's, NXS's and NF BR scopes, its quite a sight :shock:

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Matt, that would be awesome mate. Cheers.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Since all of these scope were mentioned and I have a pick I thought I post it.

I agree with Orkan about the eye box on the Razor HD. Also, I agree with Rob01 on the S&B; so much so I am selling my Razor HD and NF F1 to out fit another rifle with a S&B.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OMG, I wish you told me about 2 weeks ago. I woulda taken the F1 off your hands. I bought my NXS about 2 weeks ago brand new. Ohh well. Such is life.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Quick said:
OMG, I wish you told me about 2 weeks ago. I woulda taken the F1 off your hands. I bought my NXS about 2 weeks ago brand new. Ohh well. Such is life.
I got this one in May and it is not the updated version. I think you will be happier with the new knobs on yours along with the visual line marks on the elevation turret.

Jamie

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mines an older style one. Has 5Mil Turrets and no elevation lines. I do have Zero Stop though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts