Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmor. I recently sent it into Ruger to have some repairs done, and of course removed my scope before shipping. The rifle was precviously zeroed when I first got my Vortex Diamondback Tactical Scope which is 4x16x44. I will be re-zeroing and boresighting it when I put the scope back on. I was wondering...should I set the scope back to factory zero, or can I just adjust and zero from its current zero that I established when I first mounted my scope and zeroed 2 years ago? Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 Creedmor. I recently sent it into Ruger to have some repairs done, and of course removed my scope before shipping. The rifle was precviously zeroed when I first got my Vortex Diamondback Tactical Scope which is 4x16x44. I will be re-zeroing and boresighting it when I put the scope back on. I was wondering...should I set the scope back to factory zero, or can I just adjust and zero from its current zero that I established when I first mounted my scope and zeroed 2 years ago? Thanks!
If you haven't changed any settings on the scope since you removed it, it should be reasonably close to your original zero position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My M24 never experienced this. I thought this was "Sniper Forums" for seasoned veterans, current military, law enforcement, SWAT, and tactical contractors/consultants.

Is this an "open forum" for weekend warriors and "armchair Call of Duty" gamers?...

This is a remedial question that should be know as to a "seasoned veteran" of the art of sniping and bushcraft.

My opinion.

Rezero the optic and press on!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My M24 never experienced this. I thought this was "Sniper Forums" for seasoned veterans, current military, law enforcement, SWAT, and tactical contractors/consultants.

Is this an "open forum" for weekend warriors and "armchair Call of Duty" gamers?...

This is a remedial question that should be know as to a "seasoned veteran" of the art of sniping and bushcraft.

My opinion.

Jerk

·
Registered
12 Posts
It depends on what Ruger did - replacing the firing pin shouldn't upset your zero - but anything deeper like rebedding I certainly would go through a 're-zeroing' exercise - but I would still carry out a test firing even if it was just to confirm that all is good - but I'm a picky target rifle shooter! Who are you going to blame when you miss your first deer of the season.....

·
Registered
14 Posts

My opinion.

My new rifle makes a scary boom sound when I pull the trigger thingy. Mr. Hathcock, can you help me to know what to do to stop wetting my pants when I make it go "Bang"? Also, can you send me a link so that I can get a set of awesome pajamas like yours?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Replaced extractor on the rifle. I will go ahead with full re-zero and boresight. thank you for responding.
I will send you $25 if your third through 5th shots are more than 2MOA off center, at 100 yards, assuming that was your prior center and you are using a torque wrench in the reassembly. Skip the boresighting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I will send you $25 if your third through 5th shots are more than 2MOA off center, at 100 yards, assuming that was your prior center and you are using a torque wrench in the reassembly. Skip the boresighting.
Agreed. An extractor shouldn't have moved the top rail. Also agree on the comment to Ken. It's a question and we should be here to respond in kind jerk. Regarding the comment on a deer I don't think too many people are looking to down a whitetail with an RPR and an RPR is a chassis rifle so no bedding involved.

You should be pretty darned close if you reinstall it to the same Pic slots and didn't touch any turrets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agreed. An extractor shouldn't have moved the top rail. Also agree on the comment to Ken. It's a question and we should be here to respond in kind jerk. Regarding the comment on a deer I don't think too many people are looking to down a whitetail with an RPR and an RPR is a chassis rifle so no bedding involved.

You should be pretty darned close if you reinstall it to the same Pic slots and didn't touch any turrets.
Thank you Chuck for repsonding. I am new to long range shooting and I figured it would be an ok question to ask on this forum, especially for a beginner. But based on Ken's profile pic, he must be a tough guy so we need to be careful. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been called worse by better.

I addressed the issue issue the way that most feel but are apprehensive of saying.

Truth be it!
If you needed to be one of "seasoned veterans, current military, law enforcement, SWAT, and tactical contractors/consultants.' then they wouldn't let everyone join. Most do not feel the way you responded that we do so please don't speak for the masses as no one asked you to. Forums are where people seek out help. You sound like you think you know everything so I don't quite see why you are on a forum in the first place. To strictly make fun of people? If the thread bothers you then don't read it and don't reply with a non-helpful comment. We were all new to this once.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My new rifle makes a scary boom sound when I pull the trigger thingy. Mr. Hathcock, can you help me to know what to do to stop wetting my pants when I make it go "Bang"? Also, can you send me a link so that I can get a set of awesome pajamas like yours?
My awesome set of "pajamas" as you're calling them cost a lot of hard work. To be specific, about 45 years of hard work and dedication to the martial art that I study, Isshinryu to be specific. And, I am also a 100% service connected disabled veteran, do you want to criticize that also? 20 years of dedication to that also?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts