Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the SWFA site and saw a 6-24X50 mil-dot scope 70% off, so I ordered it it was $99.00 plus s&h. Anyone had this scope? I hope it is an alright scope, it will be on a 270 i use for hogs out to 200 yds and the other Vortex scope I have handled seemed to have really good glass.

·
Registered
440 Posts
out to 200 mark.. dont need the 24x. $99 is pretty cheap.. i'd be skeptical on the quality of the entire scope. 270 packs a fair recoil, might run into issues losing your zero on a cheap scope.
I've had no hands on experience with that brand though..

Is this the scope?
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that is the scope, I have shot some bol guns and one gas gun with a Vortex and I am really surprised on the quality of glass. A buddy bought some binos by ortex and in comparision to Swaroskis very is not much noticiable difference only in $$$$.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know about that line of vortex, but I bought a vortex viper several months ago, and it is an excellent scope. It is just as clear as a mark4, better than a VXiii... it tracks perfectly. I ran the box test with it on my AR, and it was 100% accurate.

the only complaint I have is the eye relief isn't that great, especially at higher power.

from what I've seen, the vortex seems to be about as good as it gets for a given price point

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ecsosniper said:
A buddy bought some binos by ortex and in comparision to Swaroskis very is not much noticiable difference only in $$$$.
Somehow, I'm highly skeptical about your claim.

The quality of the glass is not determined just by looking through it. The flaws come out when they are compared in low light/reduced light situations. Mel did a great write up on this. With scopes, you get what you pay for. Sometimes there are exceptions though. I have had a Cheap Nikko Stirling Nighteater on one of my Howa 1500's and after almost a thousand rounds through it, the zero is pretty constant and the glass is okay. It is nowhere near a MK4 nor anywhere remotely close to a Swarovski but it gets the job done.

Now as far as reliability on this Vortex scope, theres only one way to find out how it will hold up agianst the recoil your rifle can dish out. Maybe you can do a write up on it too so the good folks here can have a reference. As long as youre satisfied with it, run the scope to the ground.

·
Registered
29 Posts
vortex has a line of bino's that are close to $1K.... I'm not sure what's so unbelievable about that claim comparing them to swarovski. Vortex has been getting a lot of good reviews lately, and it seems in the "bang for the buck" category, they are tough to beat.

I can tell you for a fact that my viper has better optic clarity than my leupold VXIII... it might be a brighter scope than my mark 4, and I'm just not willing to admit it yet, but at a minimum is is "very" close. but then again...I haven't been hugely impressed by the mark 4 either. I only have it on an AR, so durability with recoil isn't a very good test, but I've been pleased with it so far.

they also have the vortex razor scope, which has a street price around 2K.

it's not all low priced optics...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
kyle1974 said:
vortex has a line of bino's that are close to $1K....

they also have the vortex razor scope, which has a street price around 2K.

it's not all low priced optics...
are we not talking about a $99 scope here? Maybe vortex is the biggest secret in the optics industry and nobody bothered to tell me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
actually.. no. We're not talking about a $99 scope in that post.

I was referring to your skeptism that a pair of vortex binoculars could not be compared to swarovski....

is the optic industry required to let you know these things?

Here's a link... http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vor ... DQodTBxApw

as far as this particular $99 scope... I'm not sure how good it is... based on the other vortex products I have, I'd say it's probably a little better than the regular barska/BSA/random chinese scopes in that price range

·
Registered
29 Posts
well, you were so fast to be "highly skepticle", I just assumed you had first hand experience with the products you were skeptical of....

·
Registered
85 Posts
OP,

What is your assessment of the scope?

The Vortex Crossfire 4-16x50 AO iluminated mildot for ~~$200 is about as good as it gets at the pricepoint and features, but keep your expectations in check.

Scott

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey ecsosniper, I saw these scopes onsale as well and was wondering how good the quality was, once you recieve the scope could you send me a pm of your findings? If not i hope you post a short review because im sure others have been interested in these scopes too. Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey ecsosniper, I saw these scopes onsale as well and was wondering how good the quality was, once you recieve the scope could you send me a pm of your findings? If not i hope you post a short review because im sure others have been interested in these scopes too. Thanks

Zach

·
Registered
182 Posts
The statement that LibertyOptics wrote just about sums it up. As long as you realize it is a low end scope / entry level scope, you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have two of these scopes now, 1 on a sweet 16 which I push out to 450 yards no problem. The other is on my coyote rifle which is a ruger target model. Had to get high rings and remove about 1/8" off of the handguard. I can now tell all of you this I boxed this scope clockwise and counter clock wise and it was RIGHT BACK TO ZERO!!!!!!!!
The one on the ruger as you has alot of shaking due to the operating system of rugers and it also was boxed both directions and once again RIGHT BACK TO ZERO.
For all of you who want to know about light gathering in this scope I can tell you at 0610 hours this past weekend shooting to the west a large female yote at 185 yards ended up DRT!!!!!! At this time of day there is very little light and I was facing away from it.
about 250 rounds of 45 grain Remmys and 150 rounds of duty ammo thru the sweet 16 and no problems. A total 145 rounds thru the ruger and I will bet any amount that even boxing this scope on the ruger will be back at zero at 220 yards!!!! So for all of you who want to know I have this scope that was under $110.00 to my door and I wouldn't hesitate using it as my call out rifle in any situtation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use Vortex Optics Viper HS- Riflescope and It highlights amplification levels somewhere in the range of 6x and 24x, offering amazing flexibility as far as its compelling reaches.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts