Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see the new Weatherby Vanguard thats guaranteed to be sub moa? It looks like the old one, but the stock looks good...Aramid composite with a cool tan pattern. The guarantee is only .99 moa but they say they don't ship the rifle unless it shoots at least .75 on a test target...of course, the guarantee only works with certain loads, but still very cool IMO. A nice and affordable sub moa guaranteed rifle. They say 799 for an MSRP but it should sell lower than that. If anyones into long range hunting, would be a cool setup...Of course, you could just use an SC 1 and be guaranteed to shoot groups that are twice as small...I just don't wanna carry it far :D

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Sounds nice. I like the tikka T3's also, they are the same 1 MOA guarantee. Seems that some of these guys are stepping up to the plate... good for them!

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ive seen the Weatherby Vanguard at the local Wal-Marts (aka wally world) for about 400 bucks no matter the caliber. I'll beleive the sub MOA with a pencil barrel in a huge caliber when i see it. :D

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, I forgot about the Tikkas...the T3 Lite is even more affordable too.

I'm hoping it pressures the big makers to put out less lemons.

·
Registered
292 Posts
BC, i own one in .22-250, very nice rifle, and i own a normal vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag and i ahve the targets to prove it shoots sub-moa also, but these arent the same as the wally mart vanguards, those vanguards have the butler creek stock not the good weatherby ones that the new vanguards have

·
Registered
3 Posts
Even if it is special loads and whatnot, it's still neat. As someone said, manufacturers are stepping up to the plate. I've never really considered Weatherby's 'precision, long-range' weapons, but this might very well change my mind. I've always considered that the M700 was the best action to base a sniper or tactical hunting rifle off.

Please accept this as an apology for my racy signature. I realize my folly. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I'm new to posting on the forum, but that is hardly an excuse.

·
Registered
292 Posts
actually the guarantee says "premium factory ammo" my .22-250 was shot with 55 grain spitzers and i think they were remmy shells

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as you keep your strings short with lots of cooling time I don't think the barrel will matter much. The Tikka has a pencil barrel too. Really, as long as the first shot hits where its needed, theres your hunting rifle.

Cody, I think you have a Vanguard thats guaranteed to be 1.5 MOA and just got a blessed one. The Sub Moa is new for 2005.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
cody221 said:
BC, i own one in .22-250, very nice rifle, and i own a normal vanguard in 7mm Rem Mag and i ahve the targets to prove it shoots sub-moa also, but these arent the same as the wally mart vanguards, those vanguards have the butler creek stock not the good weatherby ones that the new vanguards have
The vanguards im talkin about are the cheapo's they sell at Wally World for 400 bucks. :) A few of them are even 350.

·
Registered
292 Posts
i know i have a vanguard thas guranteed to shoot 1.5 moa and i know i got lucky with mine.... i never said naything different, i meant theres 2 kinds of vanguards, one kind has the markv profile stock and better machining...started with the 2004's and the others used butler creek stocks and were the wally mart guns

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, I see now...makes more sense.

I was wondering why the Wal Mart rifles were so much cheaper...Do they even use a real Weatherby action or are they more or less a Howa Lightning sold by Weatherby?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
They are real weatherby rifles... i think Wal Mart just buys them by the warehouse full and thats why there so cheap... same thing with all there ammo... they have 12 guage rifled hollow point slugs for 5 bucks per 15 rounds. They also sell 45 Auto ammo for like 7 dollors per box :shock: . They use to sell Winchester M1895 lever action rifles in 30-30 for $175 dollors too... but they stoped selling those. Just like there 10-22 rifles... they sold those for like $120 bucks.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Actually, those vangaurds are Howa actions. Though I'm not sure if the more expensive vangaurds are howa actions also, just with better stocks. Perhaps its time for me to do some more research.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mel, I'm pretty sure the new sub moa vanguard was advertised as a "genuine Mark V action" but I will double check

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looking at the book one minute, can't remember where I put it the next...

Looks like you're in luck Mel. The little review says one of its features is "the legendary Weatherby Mark V action"...Looks like it too, if you know their funky lil bolt shroud.

After an action to build a rifle?

Half the time what I pay here is the same number as the MSRP, only in Canadian dollars...those should be cheaper before long I bet.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, I'll be damned...its really just a "Weatherby-ed up" Howa action...too bad... :cry:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts