Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to see a review of the new Weaver Tactical Rings. I have been using a couple of sets of them and have been very happy.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well if you have some, write a review up, I have seen others write reviews up and post them. I have been looking at them and would like to hear what others have to say about them. :lol:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but any review of the rings that I would give would be that of an amateur. I have been shooting for 40+ years, and have taken 50+ heads of game but I have never had to rely on my rifle for my life or the life of others.

As for my thoughts of the weaver tactical rings they have worked flawlessly for me on a couple of rifles over the past year. With the six point contact and the wide mounting base I would pick these rings over any of the standard rings I have owned. I would however love to see the rings evaluated in the hands of a true professional who has the credentials and experience to perform a true product evaluation review.

Richard

·
Registered
105 Posts
Any problem with them coming loose were they mount to the base?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No problem with them coming loose at all so far. The mounts are mounted to an AR flat top and now I have two others attached to EGW 15 MOA bases on a 7mm-08 heavy barreled rifle and a 7mm-08 hunting rifle. I have just ordered a 30 mm set to go on my 243 long range rifle to use with my Bushnell 6500 2.5 x 16.

I do however use blue loctite on my mounts out of habit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the info. Its always good to hear about something before you get them yourself. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kind of late to the party, but I thought I would share my experience. I have had the Weaver Tactical rings attached to my AR-15 in 5.56 and 6.5 Grendel. No issues. And if you would like a better example, I also use it on my DS Arms FN FAL. That rifle does put a scope and mounts to the test. So far, torqued properly I haven't had an issue. As for my experience, I have been in the LE and military world for over 25 years. I have been through sniper and tactical courses. I use A.R.M.S steel rings and mounts as well as American Defense Recon and Trijacon Mounts. So I have my fair share of professional experience in austere environments with these items.

NOW - Truth be told, they do feel cheap and I thought they were made in China. However, their site (in the toque specs page) states that these are made in USA. The bolt is squared which is good for you picatinny rails. Round crossolts always mess up aluminum picatinny rails under recoil BTW the proper torque in 15 FtLbs for caps and 35 Ft Lbs for crossbolt. I have wanted to upgrade these rings because I just feel like the aluminum isn't strong enough, but honestly I can't justify the cost of replacing them especially since they have been performing very well.

What should be better? The cross bolts could be a little bigger to fit picatinny slots better. The crossbolt nuts could be rounded as not to be so sharp on the edges. Lastly, I would like to know what type of aluminum is used other than "aircraft-grade Aluminum". Could I use them in a lifethreatning situation...sure. While it would not be my first pick, I will take these aluminum rings over other makers of similar style. I hope my opinion helps others decide on to use these rings or not in whatever application they choose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts