Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im very new to long range shooting and to my new Remington 300 WinMag, model 700 5r 26" stainless barrel,
Most rifles it seems have a single stud under the forend of the stock for mounting a sling to.
Mine has TWO mounting studs about 2" apart.
Trying to figure out if some of the remmingtons were made this way or if it was done by the previous owner?
I'm planning on mounting a short piece of picatinny rail to it and use a rail mounted bipod

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Its normal on Varmint and Tactical/Precision rifles. The front is for mounting the bipod and rear is for the sling. Makes life easier and also allows for what you are going to do. Order a Rail from Accushot, they are good :)

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
What bipod are you getting that you need a rail for? Harris bipods, the most common used, attach to a sling stud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info on Accushot. I'll check that out.
The bipod I have it sold by Berreta and has their own log on it.
Its only sold as an option for some of their own long guns.
I was amazed at how strong it was and substantial. It doesnt have
a swivel or that cool toggling feature but it is a rock solid contruction until I can get my hands on a Harris.

thanks gus for your help, mike

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Why not save the money you would spend on a rail and installing it and sell the bipod you have and get a Harris like you seem to want and just attach it to the sling studs that are there?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That makes tons of sense. Here is one issue, Some of the other brands of BP's seem to favor a rail mounting system, So does the one I have.
What worries me about the harris mounting is the attachment to the ONE stud and not both.
I just cant see how in the world that single stud can support a BP under heavy recoil from a rifle over time. It just seems like it would be an issue.
So it seems logical to me as someone who does a lot of work on my own guns, to make that mounting as strong as possible.
And attaching to BOTH studs for a rail or non rail mount seems logical.
Now dont get me wrong, I am no expert on this, long range shooting, bipods and scopes are all new to me so I am trying to learn, not act like a know it all.
mike

Rob01 said:
Why not save the money you would spend on a rail and installing it and sell the bipod you have and get a Harris like you seem to want and just attach it to the sling studs that are there?

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
It would seem that way but it's not the case. They hold up just fine. It's all I use on my rifles. Harris attached to a single stud. I use the stud on the rear of the harris to attach my sling. Never had any troubles carrying the rifle and shooting thousands of rounds. Here's a pic of how I attach the sling. I pad my Pod Loc and use it has a hand stock when slung up.

But if you wanted to just do it yourself to work on the rifle then go for it and install the rail. You will just have to get a rail adapter for the Harris if you buy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great information and great visual, thanks for all your help guys, mike

Rob01 said:
It would seem that way but it's not the case. They hold up just fine. It's all I use on my rifles. Harris attached to a single stud. I use the stud on the rear of the harris to attach my sling. Never had any troubles carrying the rifle and shooting thousands of rounds. Here's a pic of how I attach the sling. I pad my Pod Loc and use it has a hand stock when slung up.

But if you wanted to just do it yourself to work on the rifle then go for it and install the rail. You will just have to get a rail adapter for the Harris if you buy it.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
FWIW, I bought an Accushot rail for my rifle so I could swap bipods between my bolt gun and my AR more easily. It worked just fine except it was more bother than it was worth.

If you want to give it a try, PM me and you can have it at a discount.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PM sent buddy.
Say might I ask you guys another question?
How does the bolt come out of this rem 700?
I just dont know and trick and I need to know now to do this obviously.
thanks, mike

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
dyna962007 said:
PM sent buddy.
Say might I ask you guys another question?
How does the bolt come out of this rem 700?
I just dont know and trick and I need to know now to do this obviously.
thanks, mike

Open the bolt, push up on the small square button just in front of the trigger, remove bolt. You can re-install the bolt without pushing the button.

If you have an aftermarket trigger without a bolt release button on bottom, let me know and I will show you that as well (chances are there is a button there).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks so much, when I get home this evening, I will take a peek, thank,s mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im very new to long range shooting and to my new Remington 300 WinMag, model 700 5r 26" stainless barrel,
Most rifles it seems have a single stud under the forend of the stock for mounting a sling to.
Mine has TWO mounting studs about 2" apart.
Trying to figure out if some of the remmingtons were made this way or if it was done by the previous owner?
I'm planning on mounting a short piece of picatinny rail to it and use a rail mounted bipod
so why is it so difficult to locate a picatinny bipod adapter that does not require drilling the stock of a
Remington 700 short action like the adl vented beavertail forearm. I measured the distance between the 2 swivel studs located on the front of the forearm of the stock at ~1.75 inches. There should be some manufacturer that has a 2 hole adapter that mounts perfectly in the 2 holes that are left once you remove the 2 forward mounted swivel sling studs upfront that is a small picatinny rail. How difficult can this be for a bipod mount picatinny rail adapter for the front of a remington 700 adl short action rifle with a 1.75 inch center to center spacing be?

·
Registered
3 Posts
so why is it so difficult to locate a picatinny bipod adapter that does not require drilling the stock of a
Remington 700 short action like the adl vented beavertail forearm. I measured the distance between the 2 swivel studs located on the front of the forearm of the stock at ~1.75 inches. There should be some manufacturer that has a 2 hole adapter that mounts perfectly in the 2 holes that are left once you remove the 2 forward mounted swivel sling studs upfront that is a small picatinny rail. How difficult can this be for a bipod mount picatinny rail adapter for the front of a remington 700 adl short action rifle with a 1.75 inch center to center spacing be?
Completely frustrating considering the thousands upon thousands of rem 700's sa that have been produced over the years with heavy barrel varmint calibers that have 2 front swivel studs mounted at a specific interval. A simple machined piece of aluminum picatinny rail in various matte anodized colors at this hole interval of 1.75 inches as a bipod adapter for picatinny mount including quick release bipods is absolutely unfathomable, how difficult can this be among the zillions of accessories regarding bipod adapter products out there?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Completely frustrating considering the thousands upon thousands of rem 700's sa that have been produced over the years with heavy barrel varmint calibers that have 2 front swivel studs mounted at a specific interval. A simple machined piece of aluminum picatinny rail in various matte anodized colors at this hole interval of 1.75 inches as a bipod adapter for picatinny mount including quick release bipods is absolutely unfathomable, how difficult can this be among the zillions of accessories regarding bipod adapter products out there?????
OK found atlas bipod adapter BT15 that should work. But they are out of stock!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You probably won’t want to use the original stud when you get your rail. The original stud will get in the way of any Pic rail accessory. I have the old furniture from my 700p. You will want a oval head hex screw to get the clearance you need. I might be inclined to get rid of mine if you can’t get one in a reasonable amount of time.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
BT-15 works well. I have used many of them on different rifles.

Area 419 and Seekins make good bipod rails too.

Most of these rails allow for the use of the swivel stud as one of the screws. This makes it where you can use a traditional sling with the rail. If installed correctly it will not get in the way of the bipod.

I usually just instal the rails with screws though as I don’t usually use a sling and when I do it is flush cup.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
BT-15 works well. I have used many of them on different rifles.

Area 419 and Seekins make good bipod rails too.

Most of these rails allow for the use of the swivel stud as one of the screws. This makes it where you can use a traditional sling with the rail. If installed correctly it will not get in the way of the bipod.

I usually just instal the rails with screws though as I don’t usually use a sling and when I do it is flush cup.
Agreed I had to get a flush hex head screw for the second fastener as it would have gotten in the way mounting an accessory. I mounted the original stud in the position closest to the muzzle and the second in the other. That you could put a sling on and not interfere too much with a bipod. The reality is that I never put a sling on this thing because I never used it for hunting in the woods. Just too heavy for that.

·
Registered
878 Posts
ALL RIGHT! GUYS!

This guy was looking for a set of bi-pod 8 years ago!!! Stop it!!!

Reactions: Gunguy308
1 - 20 of 23 Posts