Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in SW Indiana, which means no high powered rifles(hunting-wise so naturally, my dad wont let me get one just to shoot). Now I convinced my dad to get me a membership to the Consevation Club so I can use their range whenever i want(provided i have a ride and ammo). Now just like any other teenager on here, i wanna be a sniper (preferably USMC). However, like I already mentioned, I cant use high-powered rifles so all I have to work with is my Ruger bolt action .22 mag with a Bushnell 4-12x40 with 10 -infin. paralex to work with. Now as far as getting used to bullet drop and windage what do you guys think i should be shooting at? 150yrds? I mean i dont want the bullet to be dead on(though its dead on @ 100yrds) so i can get used to bullet drop and silence the lil voice in the back of my head sayin "It'll hit where the crosshairs are.".

Hope that didnt sound stupid...<.<

Also, if anyone knows the Indiana varmit laws lemme know :D

EDIT:I just realized this should prolly go in the Catridges and Calibers section. If a mod could please move it before i get yelled at I'd apreciate it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
A .22 is a great gun to learn with. Position, trigger control, breatheing etc are all the same. Many professional high power shooters train with a .22. Start at 50 yards to learn the basics, them move out farther as you get better.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
ghostinthewood said:
I live in SW Indiana, which means no high powered rifles
Get heck out of British Indiana and come up the Michigan where you can shoot whatever you want when you want.

-snowy

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I'll move this one to Misc I guess...

Ekaphoto is right, I think. Use the rifle at 50 m or so, and just move back as you become comfortable...Try to keep it enjoyable but start slow and then push yourself as you improve...just find out where you can hit your target every shot...then move it back a lil...then move it back a lil...til you miss...then work on that...

Don't take needing to shoot too seriously though, just yet. I was never in the military but I know a lot from friends who were...They'll teach you how to shoot and it would be best to listen to what they say and do it their way...you have to unlearn your habits in a way, depending on how you shoot. Plus, you will be qualifying on an M-16 not a bolt action scoped rifle.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
yes the military teaches you how to shoot
one of our comapny's best shot never picked up a firearm before joining the Army

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

Don't worry about long range shooting with your .22, just shoot to 30m's or so.

The best thing you can hope to achieve with it is your trigger control and breathing, as well as your position and hold.

When you have got the above sorted, your shots should all be falling in just about the same hole. If you can do that when you pick up an M16 or whatever in basic you should be fine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I can shoot a 5shot 1/2in grouping makeing 2 holes at about 30yards. So should i move back, or wait til i pull those 2 holes into 1? My breathing is fine and so is my hold, however i find that my trigger control can be a bit jerky, thus the 2 holes. Granted they're touching each other i cant imagine what the 1/2in will equal at 600m+.

As for the M16 qualification, I'm not gonna pass it the first or second time. I have my .22 with a scope and the shotguns i have bead sights. Oh well, i can adapt.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

ghostinthewood said:
As for the M16 qualification, I'm not gonna pass it the first or second time.
And why not? If you can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards with a .22 you will do fine. However, I assume that is with iron sights, if you are just talking about using a scope, I would advise you remove it and replace it with irons.

Moving from irons to scope is a Hell of a lot easier than moving from scope to irons.

Remember though, that 5.56mm rounds go very fast, for a flat trajectory - zero them for 300m's and they are pretty much ray guns out to 400m's when your talking about full size targets... you don't need to be getting MOA groups to pass. I am not familiar with the American army test mind.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: re

Yimmy said:
ghostinthewood said:
As for the M16 qualification, I'm not gonna pass it the first or second time.
And why not? If you can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 30 yards with a .22 you will do fine. However, I assume that is with iron sights, if you are just talking about using a scope, I would advise you remove it and replace it with irons.

Moving from irons to scope is a Hell of a lot easier than moving from scope to irons.

Remember though, that 5.56mm rounds go very fast, for a flat trajectory - zero them for 300m's and they are pretty much ray guns out to 400m's when your talking about full size targets... you don't need to be getting MOA groups to pass. I am not familiar with the American army test mind.
Well my .22 doesnt have iron sights(heavy barrel) and the rear/front sights the M16 uses, i figure, would take some getting used to, for me anyway. WEll now that i think about it, it kinda depends on how much time I'd get to get used to the M16. Like we start the targeting shooting and familiarzation 3weeks before the qualification test. But I dunno cuz I'm not in the military nor am i related to anyone who is(thus, them bragging about it). So if anyone would clarify that for me and give me more/less to worry about it'd be apreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I doubt its really all that much to worry about...Like Jeff said, the army shooting programs are based on teaching someone who never fired a rifle before anyway, so as long as you are basically familiar with it, you know what you'll be getting into at least.

No disrespect at all, but groups at 30 yards don't equate to anything at 600 yards...heh, its just different, and frustrating to be shooting great at 100 yards and then not even be on target at first at 600 yards :D

The 22 is the right perscription for you though, a bigger rifle would probably hurt the trigger jerkiness before it helps it.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
You will do fine with the military qual. Don't sweat it.

As for your trigger control it is hard to say what you are doing without watching you shoot. Go ahead and move to 50 yards. When you shoot relax, concentrate on relaxing, then squeeeeeeeez the trigger. One mistake many people do is shoot to much in one session. When you start to get tired quit. If you shoot when you are tired, you will make mistakes. When you keep making mistakes they become habit. I have a feeling that may be what you are doing. Shooting 10 good shots is better than shooting 100 wrong ones. When you can start to say "I jerked the trigger" or " high/low etc" you are making progress.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Muzzleblast said:
No disrespect at all, but groups at 30 yards don't equate to anything at 600 yards...heh, its just different, and frustrating to be shooting great at 100 yards and then not even be on target at first at 600 yards :D
Well thata what i was trying to get at. Whats logn range shooting for a .22mag? I mean, the thing barely shoots 1500fps, wheras a .308 shoots way over 2000 not to mention I'm sure the shell is more aerodynmaic, thus some better accuracy and giving it some mroe range. So long range shooting for a .308 is 600+, so what would long range be for a .22mag?

As far as my shooting goes, i think it was excitment and surprise more than anything else. My dad said i hadda stay outta trouble and i got another detention the other day so i figured my shots were...shot. The first 5 shot grouping I had was 3holes, the 2nd was 2 holes, then i shot 1 shot @100yrds at a piece of 1in(give or take) clay pigeon. I havent been able to shoot it since so I cant say for sure if that was the problem. And as far as jerkin the trigger, the shots were a bit to the right so I'm takeing it i wasnt squeezing it all the way and squeezed it most of the way and jerked the last lil bit. But I'm probably wrong. My breathing was fine and I think my stance was because the crosshairs were only going up and down(for the most part.). And all of my shots were just about even with each other as far as height goes.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
yeah, I know what you mean...hard to shoot when there is something on the mind you just can't shake...on the other hand, once you develop confidance in an "I know I shoot well, I love this scope, rifle, load, whatever, kinda way, its harder and harder for things to shake you. Personally, I shoot worse with the more people who are watching me. If everyone else is shooting and doing their thing, its cool...but the more people actually watching me...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welli dunno bout shooting, but i can kinda relate. If I'm throwin shot or long jumpin and somone(other than the officials) are in the corner of my eye or in my view, it just screws me up.

Heh, however i do throw better when i get cocky about it, or jump farther when a 7th grader just outjumped one of my other jumps. Never thought about applying that to shooting. :\. Might try that after H.A.B.I.T.(Holding, Aim, Breathing, Instinctive body position, and Trigger control) becomes just that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts