Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. My name is John G. and I'm one of the new owners of the site. I want to assure everyone that none of the core values from SniperCentral.com will be changed. This community will always be dedicated to the Sniper/Sharpshooter. The moderation team will be staying the same, the rules, the same. etc.

You may have noticed however that the software has changed. The design and layout as well. When we did the server move we also decided to upgrade from the older version of PHPBB to the newest version of vBulletin. We think vBulletin offers some great features over PHPBB and we will also have some more mobility applications available for use here (Tapatalk/ForumRunner).

The design isn't quite fully finished yet and we are still tweaking a ton of bugs. If you notice anything broken or need a username fixed/changed or are having problems logging in, please email me at: johng @ forumfoundry.com.

Also, I know one of the biggest worries that most of you might have is: Are the new owners gun enthusiasts? Most assuredly, we are. We own a number of other gun sites (XDtalk.com, DefensiveCarry.com, RugerForums.net, M14forum.com, plenty of others). Each one with its own feel and rules tailored to that community and what has served them well.

I'm also a huge gun fanatic. My collection is not where I want it to be but it's a good start. I'm working on my gun closet and here's some current pictures of it attached. I'm also looking forward to getting my M39 EMR in which I ordered last week :)

So, with that introduction please let me know if you run into any problems or questions and you can PM me or post in this thread. Don't forget if you can't log in to please email me and I'll do what I can!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Thank you for the upgrade. I've administered both phpBB and vBulletin and do prefer the latter - and the color scheme you've chosen looks good.

One suggestion - the button for New Posts is displayed but the one for Unread Posts is not. And most people seem to prefer to view Unread Posts. This ensures that if they are away for a number of days, they won't miss seeing any topics.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Adam, it's been several years since I had to do any administration on vBulletin. If I recall, and if it has not changed, there are two different methods of dealing with messages. One is to show unread messages and the other is to show new messages. I don't remember exactly how new is determined but I seem to recall that when new was being used, viewing a message did not mark it as having been read.

In any case, clicking the button to Mark All as Read does what it is supposed to.

BTW, I'm not sure why but the default on a reply (at least to this thread) is to flagged as "subscription" and I'm getting emails when replies are posted. I think that's a preferences setting but I don't see it in the profile.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
+1 on the "view unread topics". That is the button I used the most. I despise change. I am still using windows xp for that reason, but I am sure the upgrades will be beneficial once I get them figured out.

Is mel still an owner, or has he been completely bought out?

Does mel still own and run the "sniper central" store?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
So, Have we lost all of our old subscriptions and posts or am I missing something. I do a search for all of my posts and this is the only one that shows up. I try to find threads that I know existed using the search function and they don't show up. What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having trouble in all the forms. I open any of forms it shows ALL posts as new even the stickys. I click on one post and click on mark form as read. I recheck the same form and it still shows each post as new unless I have opend each post. Some forms have over 100 pages do I need to go back and open each one so it will not show as new?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Click "mark forums as read" at the top and you will start fresh with everything being marked as read. Probably not exactly what you are looking for, but might help.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Adam, if I can be of any help, I can do some research.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep! do not worry! I am still around. The forums are the only part of snipercentral that went over to John. (El Chorizo) For a while I have been wanting to separate the forums and give them a little more attention that they have needed and when John came looking it turned out to be a very good fit. By John and his team taking ownership of the forums it allows me to focus more on the snipercentral.com web page, which is still my baby. We both want to keep the close tie between snipercentral.com and the forums. I will still be around and still posting but of course I want to keep the reviews coming on the main site (several of them coming up by the way) and keep the members area content growing (moving target page coming up). So, I have lots planned and I am very excited about the new forums.

I know change is hard and it will take a little getting used to the new software, but it is a clean layout and we have a dedicated team that an address issues quicker than I could.

So stay on board as we move forward and we'll continue to make it even better!

MEL

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the upgrade. I've administered both phpBB and vBulletin and do prefer the latter - and the color scheme you've chosen looks good.

One suggestion - the button for New Posts is displayed but the one for Unread Posts is not. And most people seem to prefer to view Unread Posts. This ensures that if they are away for a number of days, they won't miss seeing any topics.
vBulletin doesn't have the unread posts you are referring to, to my knowledge. There are 3 ways to view new posts.

There is the 'Active Topics' in the navbar, which shows you the 40 most recent threads with activity. If the title is bold, it has unread content (new content). There is also an icon indicator if you are subscribed to the thread so you know if you've participated in it or find it useful.

I set my subscriptions to always subscribe to threads I've participated in. It helps me keep track.

You can change this under Settings -> General Settings.

You can also view all the threads you are subscribed to by going to quick links -> Subscribed Threads.

The third and final method is the 'What's new' -- which I don't like but searches for all new content.

Graham, I'll do my best to get that implimented, I've forwarded a message to the new guys to make sure they see your suggestion. I too used the crap out of that button on the old system. BTW are you having any issues with cookies or whatever when it comes to showing topics as read. Seems that by actually reading them, it's not registering and I have to hit the 'mark as read' button all the time.
If you mark the entire forum as read it should clear the entire forum and be good from there on out. I do notice that some hot threads have the wrong image and display the image as if its unread even when its read, and I'll fix this image but it will require a hard refresh to clear the image from your cache. It's on my todo list for today.

Adam, it's been several years since I had to do any administration on vBulletin. If I recall, and if it has not changed, there are two different methods of dealing with messages. One is to show unread messages and the other is to show new messages. I don't remember exactly how new is determined but I seem to recall that when new was being used, viewing a message did not mark it as having been read.

In any case, clicking the button to Mark All as Read does what it is supposed to.

BTW, I'm not sure why but the default on a reply (at least to this thread) is to flagged as "subscription" and I'm getting emails when replies are posted. I think that's a preferences setting but I don't see it in the profile.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mel has sold his stake in the forum only. He is still owner and operator of the SC store.

ddd, Your posts are still there, but searching does seem broken, I know my bookmarks have dissappeared, but I'm sure I can find what I need. I'm guessing your old subscriptions are gone too.

Graham, yeah, I don't have access to that part, but as I said I'm working to get it done. The subscription part is sort of misleading, it is in your settings...general settings...4th down "Default Thread Subscription Mode:" Change to 'DO NOT SUBSCRIBE'.

everybody, this happend very fast, I didn't know what happened until it already happened, there are going to be some bugs, please be patient, just report them here and the new owners will work on it.
Keep in mind, if you are already subscribed to a bunch of threads this will not change any of the EXISTING subscriptions. It will only change it for NEW ones.

So, you need to go to 'quick links -> subscribed threads' and you will see all the threads you are subscribed to. There is a master check box that will check every thread on the page, and you can check them all and then change the subscription mode for those with the drop down menu below them. You can set it to whatever you want... no notification, instant, daily and weekly.

So, Have we lost all of our old subscriptions and posts or am I missing something. I do a search for all of my posts and this is the only one that shows up. I try to find threads that I know existed using the search function and they don't show up. What am I doing wrong?
I'm going to work on importing the old subscriptions as well.

I'm having trouble in all the forms. I open any of forms it shows ALL posts as new even the stickys. I click on one post and click on mark form as read. I recheck the same form and it still shows each post as new unless I have opend each post. Some forms have over 100 pages do I need to go back and open each one so it will not show as new?
If you go to the main forum index: http://www.sniperforums.com/forum/forum.php

Scroll down and look above the 'what's going on' box. There's a: mark forums read button -- that will mark everything as read so you can start fresh.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ddd 007 thanks thats what I tried to due and it doest work it still show post from 2009 as new. Ill give it a few days to get worked out and it if its fixed or not

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ddd 007 thanks thats what I tried to due and it doest work it still show post from 2009 as new. Ill give it a few days to get worked out and it if its fixed or not
Gas99,

I think it may be the images throwing you off showing them as new when they aren't. Some of the images were wrong. I've just fixed them.

View one of the forums with unread posts showing as new and do a hard refresh. You can usually do this via ctrl-f5 or holding down the left shift button on your keyboard while clicking the refresh button of your browser. Try both of those a couple of times and see if the images change.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Hey gang,

my name is Brandon. I am one of the new admins here and work with John! I will be here as well to help out whenever and wherever I can. I am also a gun nut! I have been working with our firearm sites for many years and just recently got into shooting! First time out to the range with someone teaching me and I was hooked. I look forward to getting to know all of you! Please do not hesitate to email me ([email protected]) or shoot me a PM with any issues you are experiencing and we will get right on them for you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
A big Thank You goes out to those that upgraded the software to vB. I disliked the old one.

As for the change in ownership, I am not so happy about that. But time may change my mind.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
As for the change in ownership, I am not so happy about that. But time may change my mind.
I understand, but I do feel it will be better for the management of the forums themselves and I'll still be around here and it will be closely tied to SniperCental.com still. The intent is for it to feel as if nothing has changed.

MEL

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I understand, but I do feel it will be better for the management of the forums themselves and I'll still be around here and it will be closely tied to SniperCental.com still. The intent is for it to feel as if nothing has changed.

MEL
Mel is right. We are here to help so if you notice anything that needs fixed, upgraded, fixed, added, etc. Please don't hesitate to PM me.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I'm really excited about tapatalk. I don't have Internet at the house and tapatalk makes everything so much easier to post from my phone. Also congratulations to Adam for becoming a mod.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts