Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have or use this Romanian PSL?
Copy of the Dragunov!
Any good or bad Reviews on this Rifle?
:?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
It shoots about the same as the dragonov from my limited experiences with them. around 1-2 moa ..

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ive seen many Romanian SVD rifles in my 5 years over sea's and they work just as well as the Russian rifles. Accuracy is the same... 1-2 MOA 5 shot groups @ 100 yards. There are many of the Romanian rifles in Chad, Nigeria and Liberia and as some of you know... the US Marines are currently training up the forces of those nations to be able to resist terrorism. I have used the Russian and Romanian SVD's and cant tell them apart quality / accuracy wise.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yep, I have a Romanian PSL.

It is most certianly NOT a copy of a Russian SVD (Dragunov), though it does occupy a similar tactical niche in the former Soviet-bloc militarys of Eastern Europe. For quite a few years it was incorrectly known as the "FPK" by American military intelligence agencys, and unscrupulous wholesalers continue to advertised it as a "Dragunov". (I would pay some pretty good bucks for a real Drag...)

It shoots about inch groups while the barrel is cool, with decent ammo. With slap-dash Russian 7.62x54R Wolf (like in the photo of mine) it shoots 2.5's a lot.

There was an article in this months "Guns" magazine on the PSL by Holt Bodington that was very informative. He was able to get 1 MOA out of his with handloads too.

Zombie, my best advice to you is make sure you buy a real, Romanian factory-made rifle. There are a lot of "kit-built" PSL's floating around right now and while some kit-guns were assembled by competent individuals.......some are absolute junk.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yep, Crazd is correct (which is good since he owns one). These rifles are not copies of SVD's, as they are not build on the same action. The Romanian rifles I believe are built on the RPK action. They look somewhat a like, but thats about it....

MEL

·
Registered
109 Posts
mele said:
The Romanian rifles I believe are built on the RPK action. MEL
Yep, a slightly longer RPK, with a bolt hold-open device added.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the great info. Guys!
Help out alot!
Crazdgunman, where did you buy yours at?
Should I just ask the Dealer if this rifle he is selling is Real Romanian Factory-made? Because I'm not going to buy any "Kit-Built" one!?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got mine from Interordinance. Yer' pretty safe if you buy from them (regarding authentic PSL's), and can find their ads in Shotgun News.

There has been a small cottage industry producing "kit-built" PSL's due to cheap de-mil'ed full parts sets coming into the country, so It wouldn't hurt to ask. I heard that SOG was even stocking the domestically re-assembled rifles, but I haven't confirmed that bit of info.

They are fun rifles and an interesting example of sniper-tech from the former Soviet bloc.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you use better ammo your groups should go way down... considering a standard AK-M with Winchester Metric ammo is capable of 2 MOA i dont see any reason why the Romanian PSL shouldnt be able to get 1 MOA. Try out the Winchester Metric 7.62X54R ammo... it comes in the white box's... your groups will improve.

And yes... the PSL is built off an elongated RPK (light machinegun version of the Kalishnikov style weapon) reciever... minus the auto-selector / auto sear of coarse.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sadly, the Russians don't export their "Snyperskia Grade" ammo for some reason. :?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The cold war killed there export industry.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Maybeeee, but they seem to be shipping bazzilion of rounds of cheap Wolf and other brands of small arms ammo to eager U.S. shooters.

I read that they have some "stratigic restrictions" on the sniper grade ammo. Who knows!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Wolf is wolf... and the ammo they pump out really sucks (its fine for screwin around with an AK / Nagant though). There sniper ammo for there 7.62X54R caliber rifles is made alot better and i dont think many people are looking for quality expensive 7.62X54R ammo... so i dont think they would make much money off it.

BC

·
Registered
109 Posts
Well, you might be right, but every PSL, PU, SVD, NDM and Tigr owner I know would be glad to at least pay regular American commercial prices for it.

"Expensive" to them would be like a box of Winchester .30-06 at WallMart to us. I think 7N1 and the newer 7N14 would sell like hotcakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts