Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last couple of weeks I have been gathering parts to build my first "custom" rifle. The list includes a brand new model 700SPS action, Shilen select match 10 twist bbl, HS Precision stock (same as comes on a 700P), and a Holland recoil lug. It will be chambered for 300WSM locally by a guy who builds alot of the area benchrest guns. He will do all of the assembly including squaring the action, lapping the lugs, etc..

If any of you guys with experience in this type of thing can let me in on something I may have missed any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking forward to getting it done (next week or so). Optics will come soon after completion of the rifle and I recover from the expense, probably going to be something from Leupold, they have never let me down.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I say you will have a top-notch rig after you add some quality glass and a Badger or Mk4-type ring/base set. I'm not a big fan of the new "short-fat-jug cartridge" craze for tactical rifles, but I can't deny they offer great performance.

(Mel can make you a VERY good deal on Leupold glass, by the way.)

I'm lined up to build a new rig (but I'm using Hart to do the work) myself, as soon as I sell another gun to foot the bill. :)

:shock: (I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a decent M700 action in a .308 case-head caliber...)

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you aren't already doing so, I would maybe consider having a M16 style extractor milled in. I'm biased but I hate the current extractors. A badger style bolt knob is a must too. You should have an awesome rifle soon, and I like your taste in optics too, good shooting!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wondering Pound', but why are you so against the standard extractors?

After much experinace with them in the military and law enforcement, I've never seen one fail. Major John Plaster, in his book "The Ultimate Sniper" says the same thing. He's never seen one break either.

Just wondering.. :wink:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I cant say I've ever seen one fail either, but i've generally tried to swap out a sako extractor the moment i purchased the rifle so, my experience is limited with them.

Although from everything i'm hearing about getting a piece of the sako extractor back in the face if you have a failure, i havent done one since. All been claw extractors. :p

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I've not seen a remington extractor fail, but acknowledge they are probably NOT the strongest or most well designed.

MEL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welp, I'll go on record saying that the Remmy extractor is one of those mechanical designs that, admittedly, your intuition tells you "can't POSSIBLY be reliable", but always seems to work. I'll keep mine.

Heck, in retrospect, it has no separate pins, springs, claws or levers....I'd say it is a bit of gun design genious! :D

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Remmington extrators I seen 3 broken one and all were at rifle comps. It suck having to use cleaning rod to finish the shoot when your under the clock. I personaly haven had one break but my good friend had a few words.
Cliffy

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of them braking, I've just never had or seen one personally.

But, they are easily replaced (provided they are not factory pinned) and very cheap... good to have in your parts bag.

MEL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts