Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to ask your opinion. BE HONEST

I was recently at a shooting range and brought my 22. Long rifle. I didn't feel like bringing in nothing big or fancy. So, the small bore ranges are closed and i go to the large bore ranges.

I didn't get to hit the dead center of the target but i did beat the crap out of the first and second rings pretty good. ( first ring being middle).

I didn't use a scope and the range was 100 yards. I ask you this-

WOULD YOU CONDSIDER THAT GOOD? I would like to know becuase i am looking to join the marine scout/ snipers and im brushing up on my skills. so tell me what you think. :lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
SniPERiNg said:
I would like to know becuase i am looking to join the marine scout/ snipers and im brushing up on my skills. so tell me what you think. :lol:
Search the forums. There are countless threads discussing what is a necessary to do what you desire to do.

Scatch Maroo

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
If you can hit targets at 1,050 yards with a box stock 700 PSS, or anything at all for that matter, who cares about rimfires at 100 yards?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I was thinking that myself. :roll:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey dude,
If you want to be a Marine scout sniper, there are some things you need to consider other then shootin a .22.
First of all you need to be a marine, in the 03 field, so go talk to a recruiter and sign up for the infantry. then make it through bootcamp. you will get extensive marksmenship training with the m16 there, and a score, which will hurt or help you down the road. then you need to go through SOI and end up in a unit. these days, you are not likely to be a STA baby and get right into the platoon, you will most likely have to deploy once with a regular line platoon to get the experience and basic skills.
Once you return form deployment you need to keep your eyes open for indoc notices, while you do that you should be running, running, running.
Next, pass the indoc.
Marksmenship is not the most important thing to a sniper. Land Nav skills, stalking, OBSERVATION skills, ability to sketch, independent creative thinking and patience patience patience will take you far.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A big yes on patience then theirs the right attitude :idea:
Hitting your target and maneuvering to the right position are to different things

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks. This is my first time on the forums so I don't know my way around the place yet, so ill find everything i need to know. secondly, i have more that just a .22, I felt like just ****** aroun that day and thrid, thanks for the outline about the process of becoming a sniper, i was looking for that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im pretty good at stalking people, im in a cadet program, (Im only 14) and my patience is really good. Tell me more about scetching though, what do i need that for.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Yeah, I do not care for his sig quote either.....

SniPERiNg, I'd suggest (after of course, changing your quote) that you head here:

http://www.snipercentral.com/books.htm

and look at "the ultimate sniper" and some of the other books. These are good places to start to get the foundations and understandings. It'll really help establish your foundation on which to build. It talks about sketching and many others things.

MEL

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
SNIPER NIG,

Well, first off hoss, your starting off the right way. A 22 is a good way to get in the groove of things, however, the Marine Corps dont exactly use .22's to pick off two legged varmints at 600+ yards, they use an M40A3. Shooting like that with a .22 at 100 yards is not bad shooting, but you need to move up to bigger and better things eventually. You also need to be in the Marine Corps too. By the way, your signature kinda makes me uneasy hoss.. :?

Tyler Consugar

·
Registered
238 Posts
i guess his sig is a tad unnerving, not to me, but i see where your coming from.

also you should find if a family member is a hunter, and ask if you can go out on a trip with them sometime

·
Registered
182 Posts
what did this kid's sig used to say? i missed out on this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts