Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking forward to purchasing a springfield m21 and a remington m24 (7.62 also). i probably wont be shooting out past 3-500 meters very much.

im trying to find a good scop that i can use for both of them. i have been around firearms my whole life, but am clueless when it comes to any optics besides red dots (n00b i know). My friend who is very familiar (compared to me) told me to just get what the military is using standard issue with the m24. i havent a clue what that is. the locals have been blabbing about leupolds, but nothing specific enough to help much. i would pay around 4-600 for a scope. i dont need anything top of the line. anybody know some good models for around this much?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
well standard issue is a leupold m1 ...

for around 4-600 i would look at IOR bucressti... Weaver sells a 14x variable with a mildot for around 500 dollars. Leupold vx-II's and III's can be found for around 600.

www.swfa.com has a very wide range of optics to choose from at decent prices. You can also PM me if you have any questions about a product on there.

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Actually, the standard issue scope on the US Army M24 is the Leupold Mk4 10x M3A (not m1). You can buy a civilian version of it for about $1100 ( a bit out of your price range)

$500 is as good amount to buy a nice scope.

MEL

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
woops... i almost put unertl too...lol...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you actually priced an M24? The complete M24 SWS is $9600! The basic rifle must be at least $5000 because it comes out of the custom shop. And you don't think you need a top of the line scope? :roll:
Are you really in the market for an M24 or just a black 700? Either way, I found a leupold vx iii 3.5-10X40 tactical with duplex reticle for my m24 wannabe. It was $379 @ http://www.bearbasin.com

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im wondering why he is buying a 7,000 dollor rifle and a 500 dollor scope... and... where is he buying a "real" M-24? If i remember correctly that rifle is strickly Military / LE / Class 3 sales.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Not to mention... for the price of that M-24 you could get a better rifle custom built WITH a high end scope... and probably a drag bag to go with it. And he said he wont be shooting out past 300 to 500 yards often... so why not get an LTR... there relativly cheap and just as accurate as the M-24... and about a tenth the price.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Easy answer on the M24, Remington has them available to LE as total package, I have access to their LE sight for the armorer stuff, and it is one nice package They call it the M24 SWS. I posted a link to it below.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/m24.htm

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The M-24 SWS is just there package deal... comes with all the standard stuff you would need to arm a "sniper". And the SWS package goes for about 10,000 bucks... and unless he is LE i still dont see how he is buying one. :roll:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
And... if he was buying the SWS package he wouldnt need a scope would he :wink: . It comes with one factory zero'd :)

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
They are not supposed to sell to anyone but LE, but sometimes the dealer gets one in as a demo or the like, and sells it off to high bidder. I had a guy try to get me to buy one till I showed him my built 700LA 308, that shoots sub MOA.

I got way less than 1000 in the whole set up, probably closer to 500. Thats counting the rings, barrel, scope, mounts and all. The receiver I already had, the barrel is off a Light Varmit 700 that the smith has had laying in his drawer for several years. He sold it to me for $35, and taught me how to build rifles at the same time. We trued the action, set back the shoulder a bit, and rechambered to a tight match chamber, and the gun does shoot. The Mueller Glass is pretty good too.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea you can build up your own M-24 and try to get it exactly like a real one... but its not "real" unless it comes from the Remington Military Production factory. I mean hey... i can get a block of aluminum and mill it out just like an EDM M-96 reciever but that doesnt mean it is one... And you said you "got" yours for under 1000... somewhere around 500? Are you leaving out a zero or two somewhere or did you find a stolen M-24 at some garage sale? :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Just like all these so called "Marine M-40A1's" ive been seeing on all these sites... some of them are so half ass made it makes me cry that the moron who made em put the word MARINE in the rifles discription...

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I did not do it on purpose, I had a nearly unfired(less than 100rds) 1980s vintage 700LA in 270 Win. I needed a sniper platform for work, as the city issued M14 was not getting it done. I ran across this smith while looking for a guy to counterbore my 1903A3. While he was showing me how to do that he asked me about my other rifles, and low and behold he had the 308 barrel, brand new, he took it off out of the box because a guy wanted a 243 barrel on his brand new rifle. Mine is not a M24, and I dont claim it to be, but I see why the army used the LA, easy to load in a hurry with that big action opening.

I was just saying that the guy trying to sell me the rifle for about 7500 walked silently away after seeing mine and the target I had just shot. :D

Good news is now I get to use that 270 barrel to build my Mauser, gonna rethread and get working on it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Yea... i just want this somethingmustdie person to answer... i seriously want to know what he does for a living where he can just go pick up 14,000 bucks worth of rifles for the heck of it... :lol:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No i sure didnt... to lazy 8) . But the question still stands... why in the world would this somethingmustdie person buy a 7,000 dollor rifle and put a cheap ass scope on it?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Did you just delete your post? LOL... it disapeared infront of my eyes!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Haha, I sure did! I didn't see that what I said was already covered, so I deleted the post hoping no one would see it, as it wasn't up for even a minute. But you caught me!

John

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Its ok... you pointed out my lazyness... talking with all these civies has been rubbing off on me... good thing im going out to the field with the guys in a few days :D :lol:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ballistic_Coefficiency said:
Yea you can build up your own M-24 and try to get it exactly like a real one... but its not "real" unless it comes from the Remington Military Production factory.
I just had to write a paper regarding material identity: anyone interested?! :lol: Of course not, but here's an abstract, in application:

BC is wrong in saying that it isn't the same. So long as the two frames (the one he built and the one built by the factory) carry with it the same form, utilizing Locke's definition of 'form' in "Of Identity and Diversity."

If two objects, such as the frames, are qualitatively identical in every way, they carry the same form, and subsequently, the same identity. You might be tempted to say that the location of production is a quality that one frame has while the other doesn't, but I would say this is isn't a quality, but only a fact.

My response is that the point of production isn't a quality, as a quality is some thing which can be observed, which you cannot observe of the frames. You might then argue that the frame is stamped with a serial number, which tells you where it was produced: but if it has a unique stamp, then we can easily see that NO frame is identical to another frame because none of them are qualitatively equal.

And before anyone blows a top, relax. The irrelevance yet truthfulness is a comedic alternative to an otherwise serious (albeit interesting) issue.

Scatch Maroo

1 - 20 of 64 Posts