Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to make a gillie suit..how do you get all the materials to stay on you... what do you put them on... and do you just wrap the rifle....and check these picutres out...just look at them...and telme how they have there rifles...wraped or however you think they did it...and also same thing with the suit..

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Would you be happy with the pic in the middle, just camo mesh netting? Wrap it loosely around the rifle like that and attach it to the bottom. Tie some jute to it if you really need to.

Seems the simplest way.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well look at the last one with that need and the burlap tied onto it...
thats what i want.....but how do i get the net to stay on

·
Registered
50 Posts
In the last picture see the net by the barrel?
Start by sewing that onto a light but sturdy jacket. Just get fishing net from a sporting goods store or walmart. Then just start sewing or tieing things to it. Any thing you want. Looks like he used nice thick rope, then unwound it into strands maybe. Old curtain tassels are good.
For the rifle cover, just use the net bye itself. Make the appropriate cutouts for your scope. Then again just start tieing stuff to it.
You're just hunting deer right? :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea man....maybe im weird but i like to freakin crawl around in the woods and stalk deer....haha im not gunna kill noone

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
You're not weird, you're a deerhunter. Granted, we don't all ghillie up, but thats the fun.

BTW, Sharfschutze, way to ask him after you tell him how to do it...lol, just kidding guys

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Well, I know this is the law in Montana, and I believe it is in most, if not all, of the other 49 states that you have to have 400 sq inches of blaze orange visible when hunting big game during the general season.... I suspect that would look kind of funny over your ghillie :wink: I suppose you could build your ghillie out of blaze orange burlap.

MEL

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
I always thought it kinda defeats the purpose of wearing the camo. But I suppose if you were stalking where theres lots of road cones...or a pumpkin patch...er...or...

So thats why you can't be a sniper if you're color blind...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welp on private land it dont matter... so if i find anyone on this land...ill just like either beat them up or threatin to shoot them...this land is private..noone is allowed to be on it so i can not have orange...thats legal

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Scharfschütze said:
Anonymous said:
Deer are color blind, so you can work some orange into your ghillie. lol
haha dude...that defreats the purpoes you dont wantANYTHING to see you...deer hear crows freakin out you think there gunna say hmmm.....i wonder if that is a hunter oer there... oh well ill go ahead and find out i guess...nope they arent...they are smart

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
olson said:
Welp on private land it dont matter... so if i find anyone on this land...ill just like either beat them up or threatin to shoot them...this land is private..noone is allowed to be on it so i can not have orange...thats legal
Hum, a little aggressive are we?

Actually, at least in montana, if it is general hunting season (rifle) it does not matter if you are on private land or not, 400 square inches of blaze orange is required if you are hunting.

MEL

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I believe game wardens ca go pretty much where ever. I believe they can go into any hunting area, private or otherwise. So before you threatin to shoot or beat anyone up you might want to know the laws in your area. And if you did either of those things, chances are you would probably end up with the local law constantly on your case.

I have no idea what the laws are in your area, this was just a deduction from common sense.

John

edited for that pesky i before e spelling thingy

·
Registered
207 Posts
Funny yall should mention games wardens rights to go anywhere since i have a story about it. In Texas (dont know about other states) a game warden can and will go anywhere.
BACKGROUND: A year ago on my families farm sombody broke cut the chain on the gate, walked into our barn and stole a 2 welders and all the tools we owned.
STORY: went out one night last month to take care of our overpopulation of rabbits in the oat field. Shot a few, and walked back to the barn. When i got there i find a man prowling around outside. I told him to stop and asked him who he was and said "who are you?" Then he proceeded to draw on me. Well needless to say we nearly had a shootout on our hands but i had layed my rifle down before i saw him and everything turned out ok.
LESSONS LEARNED: Never trust a rookie game warden to identify himself, and try to have your flashlight handy when your out at night. (Leaving it in the truck isnt good enough)
Just thought id share
Chris

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't worry Olson, all animals are color blind. The Best reason for the orange is so other people don't shoot you.
Believe it or not, some idiots don't confirm their targets before they shoot. I've heard many stories of hunters being shot by other hunters. I even heard a story of a hunter who shot a boy off of his horse, then shot the horse as it ran away :roll: :wink: :x
Yes its fun to blend in, but if you think there is another hunter within a mile, its best to make yourself known.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Even though this isnt the correct way to think, if im in my suit, im not going to be seen by animal nor hunter....hehe. But most of the time im in a suit hunting im sitting still, or crawling slowly, never walking around, and hardly ever hunched over. And i carry an orange bandana so when i am walking it goes on my body/head. Just some thought for yall.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Along with everyone else who said so, I gotta say (here at least) laws for hunting apply to my own land as well as every part of public land we hunt in. Gotta have the orange, gotta be allowed to shoot that game animal, etc.

I'll leave the not being seen by humans to the real snipers lol. Half the time I see deer I'm wearing blue jeans and smoking a cigarette anyway. That and after someone took a 30-06 hit in the ass here last year, I wear lots of orange again lol.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i dont know, the way ive always done it (even though its not quite right), i wear the orange to the tree stand or ground blind and then take it off. I use my ghillies for hunting turkey more than i do deer anyways.

lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts