Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

What kind of finish is on a No.4 mk1?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  marvin_lr30 
#1 ·
I dont know alot about finishes but is it some sort of bluing? Can this be done at home easily? I see Mlammers mauser project but I guess he would of done it at his buddies shop. I also have a Inglis browning HP that has an almost green finish on it ( from a couple feet it looks black but up close u can see some green color to it)

Thanks for your help
Geoff

#4 ·
thanks guys

some one told me it was parkerized but i was reading a gunsmithing book and it said parkerizing roughs the surface of the metal and is not a smooth finish. looking at my rifle i thought it was smooth.... I guess not.

I read the process of parkerizing and I dont think I'll do it at home :) just for safety sake

Till next time

#6 ·
Parkerizing as BC stated will only be as smooth or rough as the surface prep allows. I just did this bolt for a fellow sniper, I added the badger ordnance knob and reparked, as you can tell it is smooth finsih, and was also smooth parked from the remmy factory. I t does have some color variation, as it did from remmy, seems to be weld splatter that affects the way color takes.

#7 ·
mlammers

are you a gunsmith? or does your buddy just let you play all day in his shop? man youy a lucky guy. I was just thinking of asking the local smith if I could help out in his shop on my days off. just cleaning and other basic stuff on rifles when they come in.

Great work mlammers we all love your DIY posts

Geoff

#8 ·
I am an armorer myself, i ahve all the tools but a lathe in my own shop. My smith/Buddy lets me play at will, and replenish his supplies as I use them. I may be posting more info this week on some things. I recently upgraded my stuff, and have been doing more work. This bolt was done in my shop at home. The smith helps me when I get stuck, and is kind of letting me apprentice under him for free, as he wants to teach a younger guy who will in turn teach younger guys later on. He feels smithing is a fading art, and wants to keep it alive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.