Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered about this:

What is everyone's preferred method of hearing protection?

I've always used the "50 foam plugs in a $5 bottle" but I've seen some of those pressure sensitive ones that don't quiet until someone shoots for $30 bucks, as well as the rubber plugs linked by a singe string for $5 bucks. I tend to ignore the big muff types as they always seem to get in the way of the cheekpiece.

Does anyone have any opinions on one or the other, or has anyone used the fancy electronic type?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I love my Sordin pros (electronic). Not cheap, but they are thin enough to use and still get a good checkweld on the stock. I use them in combination with a custom earplug ($40.00 at a local gunshow), and have no problems hearing range commands and conversations on the range and still get close to 50db reduction.

JeffVN

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use foamies or the custom injection molded deals you can gte at gun shows for $25 they last forever.

I dont like using muffs they tend to mess with my stock weld or be a pain when running and gunning.

To me stuff them in the ears and do your thing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to use the sileneco (sp?) earplugs, until I found that I had severe hearing damage in my right ear. The ringing wouldn't go away after 3 months (and still hasn't), so I saw my doctor. Turns out that unless they fit PERFECTLY (which the didn't with me), they don't get the job done. It was my dumb fault for not noticing it earlier, but now I wear expandable ear plugs with a set of muffs over them. I love my hearing, but I love my shooting too. Live and learn, but hearing protection at the range will make the rest of your life better.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Neronimous said:
The ringing wouldn't go away after 3 months (and still hasn't)
Dangit and all this time I just thought this neighborhood had 10,000 parakeets in it!

Seriously though a lot of people are now recommending plugs and muffs for the big bore loud boomers.

Are you willing to chance hearing loss in order to save a few bucks?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I only ask because I recently joined a covered rifle range and the echo is much more severe than I'm used to in the fields. I'm looking at throwing some money into something good in the interest of keeping my hearing as long as possible.

I should add that I'm shooting a big ole 7mm mag.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I wear the big muffs. They don't bug my cheek weld and work great.

-snowy

·
Registered
124 Posts
junkyard_dog45 said:
Neronimous said:
The ringing wouldn't go away after 3 months (and still hasn't)
Dangit and all this time I just thought this neighborhood had 10,000 parakeets in it!
I've found it's at about the same frequency as a regular ol' television, so I leave the tv on and pretend it's not me. :lol:

Now where is that buzzing coming from?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If I'm just shooting at the range etc, I use a Pro Ears Predator Plus + plugs. Otherwise I just use plugs for hunting etc.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Guys,
I left a good chunk of my hearing over in the Gulf during the First Persian Excursion. I lost something like twenty percent of the hearing in my left ear and fifty percent in my right ear.
I've been using foam ear plugs ever since, but the most common words I mutter are "huh, what, say again", or my ever favorite of just looking at the speaker with a blank expression. ;)
Respectfully,
Harry

·
Registered
111 Posts
SpecOpsScout said:
Hey Guys,
I left a good chunk of my hearing over in the Gulf during the First Persian Excursion. I lost something like twenty percent of the hearing in my left ear and fifty percent in my right ear.
I've been using foam ear plugs ever since, but the most common words I mutter are "huh, what, say again", or my ever favorite of just looking at the speaker with a blank expression. ;)
Respectfully,
Harry
I was born hearing impaired, so I know what you mean. It sucks.

NOMAD said:
I use foamies or the custom injection molded deals you can gte at gun shows for $25 they last forever.
Really? I have to replace my ear molds for my hearing aids quite frequently.

I think they say the nose and the ears are the two body parts that never stop growing.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Hey Bro,
It only takes that one shot to do substantial damage to your ears. If you don't like hearing the world around you, and prefer that constant ringing in your ears...carry on.
You'll soon know what it feels like to fail many hearing tests, and be told you have the hearing of a seventy year old, at twenty-five. The best part is when you have the person administering the audiogram ask you if you realize the test has started :shock: , then look at you in dismay, stop the test to check cables and make sure everything is plugged in, and then actually try your headphones out, because nobody could have missed that many tones ;) ...
Respectfully,
Harry

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I just got some Peltor electronic muffs with a mic and volume control on each muff ........ they are so good I hear better with them on than I do with them off :?

They are the ones which shut down the amplifiers in a milli-second at any noise greater than 80 decibels.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Kiwi said:
I just got some Peltor electronic muffs
I have been using the Peltor Tactical 6 electronic muffs for 3 years or so. They have worked fine and do not interfere with cheek weld. I also use a supressor when the range is empty and foam ear plugs. With a full range sometimes both muffs and plugs, especially when big bore rifles are present with breaks.

I too have the constant ringing that the VA calls high decibal hearing loss. My ears have been ringing since touring the world in the early 80's. It doesn't get any better but I have also taken preventative measures to insure it doesn't get worse.

Protect your hearing.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Harry,

I'm sorry about your hearing, and thank you for your time in our Military. My hearing loss occured from one range session with a .357, so yes, a handgun is perfectly capable of damaging hearing.

My doctor told me that tinitus (ringing in the ears) affects over 40 million americans, with 10 million to the point of being considered disabled. Even with my limited hearing loss, my doctor told me that the differences will be more noticable with age.

To me, having fun means putting rounds accurately down range and finding new and different equipment to do it with. I was worried that further shooting would negatively effect me, but with double layered protection, I have at least a piece of mind that I can enjoy shooting and other things I do without having it get worse.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I already directed it towards Harry, but to you too Wargone, and everyone else who has served for us civilians. Thanks for the sacrifices you have all made for our nation, be it hearing or otherwise.

Now I'll stop posting thanks and let this thread get back on topic. :wink:

·
Registered
708 Posts
SpecOpsScout said:
The best part is when you have the person administering the audiogram ask you if you realize the test has started :shock: , then look at you in dismay, stop the test to check cables and make sure everything is plugged in, and then actually try your headphones out, because nobody could have missed that many tones ;) ...
Respectfully,
Harry
I had exactly that happen to me during a hearing test at work.

I thought I was one of just a few with hearing loss due to weapons and explosives in the military. This thread has uncovered many of us hear at SC.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts