Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Remmy 700 VLS in .223 that i use for varminting and target shooting. I love the gun and it shoots really good, but I am thinking about putting a new composite or synthetic stock on it. The laminated wood looks nice, but I would like to have something more durable. I would like to have something in OD or Camo and am not wanting to spend a ton of money...I dont know all that much about stocks so any help is appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
the 700P and 700 VS (not VLS) have HS synthetic tactical and varmint stocks on them
i think the 700P stock is a great stock
VS stock should be great too... just doesnt have palm swells which is good or bad depending on if you want them or not

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Here is kind of what it comes down to, being limited in funds:

The cheapest route to go will be to get an HS Precision stock. The basic models (VS or P, and some others) is going to set you back about $300. This is a good alternative because its a drop in fit for your rifle. No bedding required. Take off the old stock, put on the new one, and go to town. There are some nice adjustable HS Stocks also that will run from $400-$500. Many options, most well suited to your 700 VLS barreled action.

The next step would be to go to a McMillan or other quality fiberglass. I love McMillan, great stuff. But there are others also, like Lone Wolf, etc. A good McMillan will set you back about $500 depending on options. if you go with one over their standard models (A1, Win Marksman, etc) with no options on it (like adjustable pieces) it'll be about $400 (give or take). You can shoot these without bedding them, but you will not get the real accuracy out of your rifle unless you do glass bed it. You can do this yourself or you can pay about $70 - $100 to have a smith do it. Could also pillar bed, etc.

MEL

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mel is right about McMillian

i bought my M40A1 HTG stock from McMillian for $393 i think
they do sell stocks that are pre-made so they can sell them immediately they will have limited features but i DID get one inletted for a 700 BDL right handed action and for a varmint contour barrel
i put it on a 700P which uses the same barreled action as your 700 VLS

the stock without the pillar bedding of the HS stock it still shot as well but had shot much better after the glass bedding that i had my uncle do...
still most of the accuracy came from serious action work

·
Registered
524 Posts
Troy R said:
There is also the AI Accuracy International 1.5 or 2.0 stock.

I think Celt at HD Rifle can get them?
HD posted this on there site:

The 2.0 AICS is no longer produced nor imported into the US. Therefore we can no longer offer this package. If however, you can locate your own 2.0 AICS we will gladly build your rifle on it and adjust the price accordingly

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I talked to the UK distributor for AICS a little while back via email. They stated that AI has stopped selling those stocks* out there as well until around april o next year in order to do some design changes. So hopefully it won't be long after that until they are available in the US again.

*They stopped selling the 2.0 and another version as well, I can't remember if it was the 1.0 or 1.5. I will check my email at work tomorow.

J

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have the McMillian HTG (it was pre-inletted and just sitting on their website waiting for me to buy it) on my Patriot .308 it is a wonderful stock.

JeffVN

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will have a new Rem 700 PSS HS Precision take off stock for a short action available in the next couple of weeks. Your action will drop right in as these two are the same guns with the exception of the stock. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk about the price.

Merry Christmas, Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts