Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an FN SCAR 17 and I think it deserves more than the Trijicon Red Dot that currently resides on it. What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
What's your budget and how will it be deployed?
Great looking stick, BTW.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
The Nightforce 2.5-10x32 would be at the top of my list.

-Nate

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheaptrick wrote: What's your budget and how will it be deployed?
Great looking stick, BTW.
Thanks. My budget would probably be $1500 or less. Unless the SHTF, it will be used to curb the local ground hog population. It will also see duty as a paper punch from time to time.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Yeah, I think the 2.5-10x32 would be good, or the 1-4x24. Both would be fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't see semi-autos as sniper rifles, so I think something like an IOR Valdada 1.25-8x24 would be good. Or a good old Elcan. I've got an Elcan mounted on your SCAR17's grand daddy FAL and it makes a fine deer hunter from 0-300m in open fields or heavy brush regularly found here in eastern Kansas.

·
Registered
179 Posts
For me, A good accurate bolt gun. But to each his own. I've seen tricked out Mini-14 "sniper" rifles so whatever one wants to use. Again, my preference is to put low power fixed optical sights or variable power scopes that have a magnification setting close to 1x on this type of rifle. But that is based on my preference for using them for hunting applications. I've got a S&B PMII 5-25x56 on my Sako bolt action. I personally would probably not ever mount it on a semi-auto.

If I'm hunting with my bolt action it is because I am going long range or after very big game where most likely I will be taking one shot. For deer and coyotes, I have had many experiences taking multiple deer, deer or coyotes on the run, or been down in a ravine with trees all around where I needed very low magnification on my scope. I think those scenarios are what call for a good semi-auto.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Well, its a good thing that the internet is jammed full of people that think every bolt action that is black with a scope on it is a "sniper rifle."

Personally, I would only call a rifle that is actively being used by a certified sniper... a "sniper rifle" and even in that case I would refer to the rifle by its given name.

I bet you just about drop a brick when you see a barret M82 with a high power variable optic on it huh?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good point, but I would alter your statement slightly. I would venture to guess that there have been more kills made by non-certified snipers in the history of firearms than by certified ones. So I would say any rifle being used in the act of sniping is a sniper rifle :) Now we can get on to the definition of sniping. The only sniping I have ever done is on ebay. So I have a rifle that I think would be a good sniper rifle (if ever put to that use which I do not ever plan to do) and I use it for hunting and recreational shooting.

I think I will ammend my original statement as well. I think semi-auto battle rifles or assault rifles are not the best choice for long range accurate shooting or sniping. I did not say they are not good or not accurate, just not the best choice. Long range = 1000 yards +.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good point, but I would alter your statement slightly. I would venture to guess that there have been more kills made by non-certified snipers in the history of firearms than by certified ones. So I would say any rifle being used in the act of sniping is a sniper rifle :) Now we can get on to the definition of sniping. The only sniping I have ever done is on ebay. So I have a rifle that I think would be a good sniper rifle (if ever put to that use which I do not ever plan to do) and I use it for hunting and recreational shooting.

I think I will ammend my original statement as well. I think semi-auto battle rifles or assault rifles are not the best choice for long range accurate shooting or sniping. I did not say they are not good or not accurate, just not the best choice. Long range = 1000 yards +.

·
Registered
522 Posts
To put the thread back on topic, if it were my rifle, I would slap a 4x ACOG on it. IMO it would be the perfect optic for that particular rifle.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tuck wrote: I would slap a 4x ACOG on it. IMO it would be the perfect optic for that particular rifle.

I am a big fan of the Trijicon ACOG as well as most Trijicon products. I have one mounted on my POF in .223 but I wanted something with the ability to go higher than 4X.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Inkognito wrote: ....so I think something like an IOR Valdada 1.25-8x24 would be good.
I am not familiar with Valdada but after reading about their optics, I was impressed with the 2-12 x 36 SPARTAN 35mm Tactical MP-8 Dot or CQB Reticule. How would this compare to the aforementioned Nightforce?

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I havent used either so take this with a grain of salt if you wish, but I have heard that IOR have had issues with their optics, Nightforce, you KNOW you are getting top notch quality for your money. My rule is stick to what you know. Thats why I just bought a NXS.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
2.5-10x would be versatile and lightweight, but I'd go with a 3.5-15x NSX. Only 1x more on the bottom end and 5x more on the top end. It'll make those tiny little groundhogs seem huge. The 15x comes in handy at longer ranges---and you'll get the addition of a side-focus to aide in picking those little buggers out when they are hidden out in the grass.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bimotabiker said:
I am not familiar with Valdada but after reading about their optics, I was impressed with the 2-12 x 36 SPARTAN 35mm Tactical MP-8 Dot or CQB Reticule. How would this compare to the aforementioned Nightforce?
I know I'm going to catch some heat for this, but I don't think Nightforce optics are as good as Valdada's. Valdada uses glass from the Schott Glasswerk in Germany and that is as good as it gets. Nightforce scopes are well built at a price point that makes them very attractive, but a comparable Valdada is usually in the same ballpark price wise, but they don't always have the same 'cool' features.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Inkognito said:
I've got a S&B PMII 5-25x56 on my Sako bolt action. I personally would probably not ever mount it on a semi-auto.
Why not? :wink:

Scopes are more than glass. The internals and their ability to take the constant turning of knobs and staying accurate is more important. I would definitely take a NF over an IOR any day of the week.

Scope choice for the FN would come down to use and target size. If it's only 200 yards with large targets like 8" steel then a 1-4x variable would work but if you wanted to shoot at smaller targets, like ground hogs, and farther out then more power would help. How much exactly? Well depends on what the shooter is comfortable with. I'd want something in the 3-15x range atleast. I have the S&B on my POF .308 above because I used it at a sniper match shooting smaller targets to 1000 yards. I wanted the ability to dial up if needed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts