Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I may have access to a 1,000yd range (500yds currently, 1000 yds under construction) What are folks doing for optics at 1000yds? I have looked at 900-1000 yds with my 8.5-25-50 leupold and that would still be a very tiny target to hit. So any of you guys shoot 1000yds reguarly (jeff, mel???) have any tips, tricks or hints to offer?

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
80% of my 1000yard shooting is still done with a 10x scope. Now, my shooting is tactical in nature, not precision bench rest work. So my requirements may be different than yours.

The biggest tip is: Clear optics, lots of adjustments.

MEL

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Again, I shoot more tactical in nature. So much of my shooting at those ranges is unknown distance and shooting at a 20" x 20" steel plate. I do not normally shoot for groups at those ranges. But when I do, I like to shoot for 1 MOA. Sometimes I get it, some times I do not, it depends more on the weather conditions than anything. Of course, if your reticule thickness is so thick that it obscures the target, you will not be able to shoot very accurately. On the leupold scope, the thin part of the crosshair will only cover about 2" at 1000 yards.

MEL

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Competition 1,000 yard shooters are looking for .50 MOA or better nowdays... there are several guys who on a regular basis get .25 MOA groups or better at 1,000 yards. Keep in mind there using rifles that cost as much as cars in some cases... upwards of $10,000. (including optics). And yes... most 1,000 yard competitors still use 10 power scopes. But... the extremly competetive shooters are using very high power optics... some times upwards of 50 power. There are a few guys who use Tasco custom shop 55 power scopes on a custom made 6.5-284.

Usually... most 1,000 yard shooters will get just under 1 MOA at 1,000 yards. But there are a few... a FEW... who are getting 3 to 4 inch 5 shot groups at 1,000 yards on a regular basis. Ive seen some one shoot under a 3 inch 5 shot group at 1,000 yards. Granted there was absolutly no wind and the guy had a huge scope... and one hell of a nice rifle. Still... thats nice shooting.

BC

·
Registered
994 Posts
There's something to be said of a scope that can be seen from as far as the scope itself can see! :lol:

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Scatch Maroo said:
There's something to be said of a scope that can be seen from as far as the scope itself can see!
Say that 10 times fast... :lol:

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
i disagree BC. The world record 1000 yard benchrest group is just a tad over 4 inches. Was shot with a lilja barrel on a nesika action. I do not know what scope it was.

·
Registered
994 Posts
spade said:
i disagree BC. The world record 1000 yard benchrest group is just a tad over 4 inches. Was shot with a lilja barrel on a nesika action. I do not know what scope it was.

It is possible that those shots were made, but the shooters were not interested in a record--either they didn't care, or maybe didn't have the World Record people around to measure it?

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
There are quite a few people who shoot world record groups during practice... and since they were not shot during some type of "official" competition... they dont count. I have personally seen a young friend of mine at the current age of 19 shoot a world record group out in the desert. But since its not an "official" competition or an "official" group... its not conciderd an "official" record.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
well then they should start competing. Because an average 10 shot group is around 7.5-8 inches.

I hate to tell you there ballistc... but you dont know everything. As much as you like to pretend you do. lol

You know, i would really really love to see ANYONE get a .25 moa competition 10 shot group. Hell Id love to see a 5 shot group thats been documented and printed from these "several" shooters your talking about.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well here is my 1000 yard rig.

TBA M40-A1 308WIN 26" barrel {Hart}
-20 MOA badger base
-Nightforce NXS 20X scope{ nightforce rings}

Handloads-
-federal virgin brass with 210 primer
-41 grains of Varget
-185 grain Berger VLD

I get 5" 5 slow shot groups at 1000 yards consistently with this set up. I've shot a few 4" groups.
I don't compete because of the sheer atitude I get from older competators. I think I've met every jerk in the circut.I shoot for relaxation and it's the best form of therapy for me.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Kenshin

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
spade said:
well then they should start competing. Because an average 10 shot group is around 7.5-8 inches.

I hate to tell you there ballistc... but you dont know everything. As much as you like to pretend you do. lol

You know, i would really really love to see ANYONE get a .25 moa competition 10 shot group. Hell Id love to see a 5 shot group thats been documented and printed from these "several" shooters your talking about.
1 : never said i know everything... and i dont pretend to.

2 : never said it was a 10 shot group... they are usually 5 shot groups, but some times 10.

3 : www.SnipersParadise.com There are several people on that website you can manufacture .25 MOA 5 shot 1,000 yard groups.

4 : you can contact [email protected] ... that is the 19 year old kid who i have seen shoot world record group's.

5: also... there is a long time long range shooter by the screen name of long_range_shooter ...goes by the nickname CS on yahoo chat. He frequents the gun chat room's there as well. Talk to him about 1,000 yard shooting... he also produces sub .25 MOA groups at 1,000 yards.

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
lmao... yeah.. words mean alot on the internet. You were talking about competition . A competition group is 10 shots. But even still a 2.5 inch 5 shot group is not only hard to imagine, but damn near impossible .

You have yet to show a shread of credible evidence otherwise.

And your right, youve never said you know everything. Your additude oozes through my moniter every time you post dribble like this.

I'll repeat myself, id love to see 2.5inch 5 shot groups from these several shooters your talking about. Video is prefferable, but if its documented as a tournament result or something. I'll believe it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Im not going to bend backwards to find a thread to please some one that insults me. If interested... find it yourself. www.SnipersParadise.com

BC

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Meaning you cant find proof because it doesnt exist. K. Thx .

·
Premium Member
9,894 Posts
Now now....lets take a deep breath. Asking for proof of verification because something is hard to believe is okay, voicing opinions are no problem, but hold off on the personal attacks.

Now, bringing it back on topic:
I have shot .25 groups at 500 with a 10x, but have never fired a .25 group at 1000, but then again, like I said before, I very rarely shoot groups at long distance. It really isn't the best form of trianing for tactical sniping. Cold bore unknown distance from 300-800 meters is the single most important type of shooting in my opinion. For tactical shooting out to 1000, 10x is enough (minimum), 30mm tube, 40-42mm bell, lots of adjustments, and the best lens you can afford: those are my recommendations.

MEL

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
speaking from the old, relatively fat, guy who shoots groups more than cold bore targets at unknown distances and needs glasses, I can say that you will want something with magnification in the 20-30X range. They makes some good glass in that range, I have two that get it done well - Swarovski 6-24x50 and US Optics 4-22x58. I've used them both at 1,000, and to be honest the 22X is fine, expecailly if you are searching for and shopting at man-sized targets (in my case shilouette targets).

When the mirage is up, and that is most of the summer in Houston, anything over 15 to 20 or so, is simply not usable

JeffVN.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeffvn said:
speaking from the old, relatively fat, guy who shoots groups more than cold bore targets at unknown distances and needs glasses, I can say that you will want something with magnification in the 20-30X range. They makes some good glass in that range, I have two that get it done well - Swarovski 6-24x50 and US Optics 4-22x58. I've used them both at 1,000, and to be honest the 22X is fine, expecailly if you are searching for and shopting at man-sized targets (in my case shilouette targets).

When the mirage is up, and that is most of the summer in Houston, anything over 15 to 20 or so, is simply not usable

JeffVN.
Thanks Jeff, MEL & Kenshin, that is the type of info I was looking for. I guess my 8.5-25x leupold will work just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts