Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AR 15 varminter variant

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Finally made it into a restricted weapons safety course today, and passed it. Was kinda hard, because I had to do the whole thing in French, and get at least 80%, but I feel like a kid in a candy store now.

Thing is, there are so many nice firearms, and I make so little money :lol:

Now I know all these firearms have different uses, but I just wanted to hear what the gang thinks I should get. :D

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Muz,

I don't know what kind of area you have to shoot and all but I love my RRA and I would highly recommend builiding the Varmiter style AR. They shoot great if you build it right. But it really depends on what your looking for. If your just plinking you can get an M4 thing-a-ma-jig, but I say just don't get the monster 24" like me. Then you have a smaller yet very accurate rifle that will be good for plinking and varmints alike.

EDIT: here is a link to the RRA Varmiter section. If you want a smaller/lighter varmiter the 18" or 20" would be nice. I gave you the EOP link because that is what I have and I love it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
re

For my two cents, first I would like to point out that I mean no offense to anyone, and that this is simply my own opinion.

Don't get an M4 or AR15/M16 type rifle, they are complete rubbish, the only reason so many countries use them is because America handed them out like peanuts during the Cold War.
I would advise getting a fun largr bore revolver, such as a .44 magnum. I wouldn't really bother going larger than that.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
For my two cents, first I would like to point out that I mean no offense to anyone, and that this is simply my own opinion.
+1

Don't get an M4 or AR15/M16 type rifle, they are complete rubbish, the only reason so many countries use them is because America handed them out like peanuts during the Cold War.
- I do not agree with this statement. Rubbish in what sense? My RRA is a great varmiter rifle and it certaintly didn't cost me 'peanuts'. Now if you are refering to a service rifle then yes, perhaps it is not the perfect weapon, but for varmiting purposes, I have seen none better.

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
What do you want to do with the weapon Muzz? Let us know a little more. Me I vote for mortgage the house and buy all of them, but that is just me.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input everyone.

If I do go with an AR it will be a varminter. I can't do enough with an M4gery although Recoil does have a point. If it is banned, and I had one, I can keep it under a grandfather clause. We shall see. I can always get a carbine upper for the varminter later, no?

Yimmy has a good point too, big revolvers are pretty fun.

Eka, sadly I can only use restricted arms at a range, but there are long and short ones. The long and short of that is, it will be a plinker, however, it's legal to use a pistol for defense, and in certain occupations (like forestry) I can apply for a carry permit, so that could be a possibility.

I think I will eventually buy them all anyway....but where to start?

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
AR 15 varmint

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not gonna edit that one, but let's take a deep breath before anyone else posts again. There's a lot of other European guys here besides Yimmy, and even though Recoil made some good points, I think, offending them won't help him much.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I honesly don't worry if I offend people. I don't try to do it on purpose, I just speak what is on my mind. And w/ that said, Recoil is right, for your purposes Muzz. The statement about the AR platform being rubbish just has no merit here. The AR is an extreamly reliable platform for your intended use with it, this discussion isnt over the best combat rifle, its about the AR platform and how it applies to you. Simply not acknowledging the rifle for no reason but a personal opinion that doesnt even apply to this situation is just unmeritted. If Yimmy's overly offended by Rec's comments then I think he has some growing up to do, Rec is pointing out (and venting partially) that throwing out your unwarrented opinion is not often appreciated. And I don't think Rec was trying to attack Yimmy as a person persay, just telling him that his comment here is crap. We are all adults (mostly I think), and we should be able to handle our own.

Back on topic, I competely agree with the modulartiy comment, that is one of the reasons the AR platform is so great. In a matter of seconds you can go from a heavy barrelled long range gun, to a short carbine. That is a nice thing to have. For the purposes of what we would use it for the AR is a GREAT rifle and is very capable.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Muzz, forget the guns altogether: buy as many kitchen knives as possible before your government follows suit of Britain.

Or get something like a 10MM (the G20 is awfully nice, as are the Colt Delta Elites): you can hunt with it, use it for personal defense against four-legged animals, and use it for defense against two-legged animals. You can plink with it and carry it with ease. You can use it to ring in the new year (albeit Uzis are much better suited for this).

Scatch Maroo

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
Muzzleblast said:
I'm not gonna edit that one, but let's take a deep breath before anyone else posts again. There's a lot of other European guys here besides Yimmy, and even though Recoil made some good points, I think, offending them won't help him much.
I think part of the problem is that yimmy has a bit of anti-american slant to many of his posts. While I am not a fan of the AR for combat his post alluding that the US pushed a POS weapon in it's attempt to dominate the world in the cold war was uncalled for. On the other hand he seems to enjoy conflict and pissing people off so I chose to ingore his comments.

I went into the military during the cold war. While I didn't and never will agree with communism, I respect their soldiers, beliefs and pride in their country. While I may disagree and argue over another countries actions, I don't believe belittling people from that country serves any useful purpose other than to inflame some hatered of a sick person that enjoys causing hate, suffering and discontent. That is the same mentality I seen in many of the inmates I used to guard, and when I see someone do that on a consistant basis, I think of them as no better than the common thugs I used to guard.

EDIT: get the AR, while I don't like it as a combat rifle, the modular system is great and can be made into a very accurate rifle.

·
Registered
565 Posts
You forgot one option, Muzz....ALL!

Ok, so I, personally, wouldn't bother with the revolver. The rest, on the other hand...is ony my wishlist.

The good thing about the M4gery and the Varminter is that you only need one lower. So you'll get two rifles for the price of one and a half. And that's almost a bargain!

I still need an expensive and fancy single stack 1911 - but the laws here don't make it easy for me.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Try to get the semi auto version of the SA-80. Then you could spend the rest of your life fixing it.

Actually, get an AR-15. Don't worry about the M-4. Just get a normal AR. Either the full length 20" barrel or the 16" carbine barrel.

And once you have the lower receiver, you can build various upper receivers in different calibers.

You can have a .22 rimfire, a .300 Fireball, a 7,62x39mm, a 6mm PPC, and the new .20 cal Ruger, among others.

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yimmy just likes to throw out oddball comments. If he can throw his punches he can take his punches, and that ain't the prob. I just don't want broad statements like "Europe knows F.A. about war" cause there's a lot of other people here from Europe besides Yimmy.

Aaaanyway...

Yeah, I will in time have all of them, so fear not. The trouble is just where to start. Several of my options are a thousand or more, so I don't want to be wishing I had bought something else. A knockoff 45 is cheap enough to come by, so I can live without having a Kimber, but the ARs here are a little pricey...so are some revolvers.

MAD, which part of the AR-15 do we have to register, the upper or the lower?

One thought that crossed my mind is getting a service rifle, "M-16-A2" style and making a C-7 A2 with Elcan. My friends in the forces would love helping me with that one. But let's say some day I want an upper for, 50 Beowulf or something, do I have to register that upper as a firearm unto itself? Since it does have an action and all? And if so, is the lower not a firearm?

Scatch, as a defensive, in house pistol, the Glock would be great. The neighbors aren't close by and a lot of good timber went into the old homestead. I might even be able to apply for a permit to carry at work. Granted, they may say I don't need it because I have a chainsaw :lol:

The SAD thing (no country has gun laws that make sense so Canada is hardly unique) is that we CAN'T hunt with restricted weapons...I loathe that law.

As for the kitchen knives, Jay is our resident pointy-things guy :)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can't hunt with them here, either...and hell if I understand why. It should be a matter of the owners abilities as a hunter - not what colour his tools have. But here people fear black weapons. I'm sure a bit of wood on my 4gery would make it acceptable all of a sudden :roll:

Anyway...the really, really bad thing about buying an AR-15 lower, which is the part you'll have to register as there's no serial numbers or anything on the uppers (as far as I know), is that you'll NEVER stop wanting more. :?

There's always something new you can add. This gets awfully expensive. I've just noticed...

But, unless Canada is as anal as Norway, you can get loads of different calibres for that single lower, and have several weapons in one, so to speak.

Personally, I wouldn't spend money on a cheap 1911 - I'd want a really good one that I'd never get tired of. Like a Wilson CQB... Or the USO if I should get rich all of a sudden.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The AR lower is the part you will have to register.

is that you'll NEVER stop wanting more
+100
I would go for the AR (you do not need the M4). You may want to look at the Olympic PCR-16 (AR-15). Has a heavy 16" barrel and is a consistant .75 MOA shooter (or better). Good USA price is ~$600-$615.

I have (and love) my S&W 627 classic in 44MAG. It is a super accurate revolver and very capable of makeing shots out to 100 yds. (off a bench of course). It has a scope and I hunt deer with it all of the time. You can get cheap ammo for the 44, not so for the 454 or 50AE.

Yep, stay away from the cheap 1911s. Save and get a good one.

If you buy a AR to shoot (not to hang on the wall) do not bother with Colt. Try to find a Mega or Stag lower and build it yourself!

·
Premium Member
7,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the info, guys!

I don't know too much about ARs or handguns yet, cause really, up until now I couldn't possess one anyway. Thanks to everyone here though, I'm learning a ton already.

For something to bang around with, I might go with a Norinco "1911" Wilson used to build off of them, and they seem to be quality. I'm sure tricking one out and learning from it would help me a lot either way, before I drop the bucks on a big one.

I'm also talking to someone about the AR, and that looks very promising.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts