Sniper & Sharpshooter Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm having a hard time finding a stock there'll fit my Rem. 700 SPS.
I want a lighter stock for hunting instead of the factory stock.
I'm a hunter from Greenland and use it to hunt Caribou.
It hasn't got a heavy or Varmint barrel so it's a bit difficult for me to find a stock that doesn't require a "thick" barrel.

I've been looking at a H-S Remington 700 Police Rifle Stock but I don't know if it will fit...

Does anyone know what stocks I could use?

Regards Jaaku

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Any stock that fits a Rem 700 short action will fit yours.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
A stock made for a heavier barrel channel will work just fine, it will just have a little gap between the stock and barrel. If you have a factory sps plastic stock I doubt you will find a lighter stock out there. If you want something close that is very high quality then look at the manners extreme lightweight series made out of carbon fiber. They will mold a stock to whatever barrel contour you want.

Btw-- did you say you are hunting caribou with a .223? Isn't that a drastically underpowered round for that game?

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Sorry, I should have said any stock that fits a Rem 700 short action with the same barrel contour.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I currently have my sps-v in an AICS stock. The AICS will handle barrels up to 1.25" straight and my barrel is not anywhere near that thick. It will function just fine. The main thing is that a barrel should be floated...if it touches the stock you will lose accuracy. If it is floated it will function properly regardless of how much it is floated. the only problem you might run into would be snagging something between the barrel and stock while dragging it through the woods.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does really look nice!! But it's still bit of a problem with the gap. I need the rifle to be functional, light and accurate. But it will be an alternative if I end up selling the SPS and getting a Varmint or a Tactical...

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
It does really look nice!! But it's still bit of a problem with the gap. I need the rifle to be functional, light and accurate. But it will be an alternative if I end up selling the SPS and getting a Varmint or a Tactical...
I don't think we are on the same page. I am not recommending that you sell your rifle and buy a SPS-V...they are anything but light. I am recommending that you choose the stock that you like regardless of barrel channel and use it with the sporter barrel you already have. I just brought up mine because it has a substantial gap between the stock and barrel and still functions fine.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
The gap can be more than you need but should never be less. The SPS, tactical, and varmint are all the same rifle contour with somewhat different stocks and barrel lengths.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To ddd 007: Yes, I understand that. I have been searching the web for stocks and saw the weights on the stocks. I don't think I'll get far with that on my back! Thanks for all the good advices. I got some more research to do.

And to Mr.Smith: Thanks for your help, it is nice that you took your time to help me.

I wish you both a happy new year.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
I think you will have trouble beating the manners stocks. They can be as light as 24-25oz and are very high quality. Here is a link. Good luck with the build.

http://mannersstocks.com/hunting/

I hunted one year with my 26" heavy barrel in an AICS and decided very quickly that it was way to heavy for the hunting I do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the answers.
The .223 works well on Caribou. We have been doing it for many years. Nothing can survive a heart/lung- or headshot. And you don't waste too much meat.
I shoot mule deer and whitetail with 223 all the time here in Montana. Just shot a whitetail at over 400 yards with barnes vor-tx 55 grain bullet. Have also shot a black bear with the same set up at 75 yards several years ago. Used to be one of those guys that thought everything required magnum power to hunt. I have had much better luck with smaller lighter recoil that I can target practice with very regularly. Shot placement is so much more important than power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts